Cycling or other exercise?! Help!

Options
Hi! So my wedding is the end of July, and I desperately need to lose weight from my hips/thighs, those are my problems areas. My upper body is completely fine. I'm a size 16 in jeans!

Would cycling an hour a day leisurely help slim my thighs and hips whilst loosing weight? I'm currently on the cambridge diet too to lose weight so about ~600 cals is what I'm eating a day. I'm walking 5/6 miles a day currently aswell.

Any tips/advice please! Thanks

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than 600 calories per day. You shouldn't be exercising at all with that intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi! So my wedding is the end of July, and I desperately need to lose weight from my hips/thighs, those are my problems areas. My upper body is completely fine. I'm a size 16 in jeans!

Would cycling an hour a day leisurely help slim my thighs and hips whilst loosing weight? I'm currently on the cambridge diet too to lose weight so about ~600 cals is what I'm eating a day. I'm walking 5/6 miles a day currently aswell.

Any tips/advice please! Thanks

You can't spot reduce fat. Fat will come off where it will come off. Cycling will help increase your energy expenditure, but you can't dictate where the fat will come off.

"Problem areas" are typically primary fat stores...primary fat stores are a first on, last off kinda thing.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think you should really be eating more, especially with as much exercise as you are getting. Sorry i really hate telling someone to I eat more. You can eat more, just make better choices. I'm unfamiliar with the Cambridge diet, maybe look at the 21 day fix a and see if that gives you a more reasonable goal. That aside....

Women tend to loose upper body weight before lower body weight. But it's also dependant on genetics. Cycling can definitely help with the way your lower body looks. Underlying muscle can make a magical difference.

Best of luck to you! And congratulations on the upcoming nuptials!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    You need to eat more than 600 calories per day. You shouldn't be exercising at all with that intake.

I missed that part...yeah, that's no bueno...
  • VanillaTwilight001
    VanillaTwilight001 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It's a VCLD, and approved diet. I've lost weight from my upper body, just my lower body to get a move on now too so was thinking cycling but I don't want to build muscle there? I just want to lose weight faster :/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It's a VCLD, and approved diet. I've lost weight from my upper body, just my lower body to get a move on now too so was thinking cycling but I don't want to build muscle there? I just want to lose weight faster :/

Leisure cycling will not build bulging muscles. It'll tone, shape and firm.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options

Approved by whom? I am hoping you are doctor supervised. Either way, 600 calories per day unless a person has to lose weight for health reasons, is excessive and will lead to a high likelihood of putting on the fat you lost and more.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Don't worry, you cannot build muscle on a vlcd diet. In fact, your body is eating the muscle you already have. Which is the opposite of what you are looking for.

Who approved this diet? And why? Size 16 on the lower body isn't that big. I've been married for 12 years and honestly it doesn't bug me that I was a little bigger in my wedding photos. What matters now is that I've learned how to take care of my body properly and I know I will not regain the weight.

Choose a sustainable deficit and be patient.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that MFP recommends no lower than 1200 calories per day for women. You can continue to lose 1 pound a week on that. Cycling at a leisurely pace can only be good for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

This^

You are losing fat + lean muscle mass (your heart is a muscle). Very low calorie diets (VLCD) can lead to hair loss too.

Eat a minimum of 1200 calories, plus a portion of exercise calories (calorie burns will likely be inflated). Be healthy for your wedding.

I'm a pear too....you can't spot reduce (without surgery). Where you lose weight from is genetic. Add some strength training to help keep those sleek muscles and let Spanx do the rest..............

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Approved by whom? I am hoping you are doctor supervised. Either way, 600 calories per day unless a person has to lose weight for health reasons, is excessive and will lead to a high likelihood of putting on the fat you lost and more.

+1. Approved by whom? For you in particular, by an M.D.? 600 kcal/d is a starvation diet. This is appropriate for morbidly obese people on bedrest.

If you're really eating 600 kcal, walking 5 miles per day, and potentially cycling for an hour, you are essentially netting 0 calories. You would be dropping 3-4 pounds per week, and would be exhausted. You would likely start to lose hair. Is that how you would like to remember your wedding?

As someone who is likely your father's age, I urge you to please reconsider your diet and exercise plan. Your wedding will be 1 day. You have your whole life ahead of you.