Should I add a protein shake?

Options
mandikaye
mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
Typically, I don't get enough protein in my diet. I eat a lot of pre-packaged foods (lean cuisine, smart ones, etc.), and sadly they are often lacking in protein and are high in carbs. Though somehow today I managed to exactly hit my protein goal without trying. Typically, I seem to hit around 50-55g of protein. Is that sufficient? Should I add a protein supplement? Which ones are best?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Possibly. I would first consider just adding more vegetables and whole foods. Barring that, you might want to consider supplementing with a "whole foods" supplement drink because those type of foods are also lacking in other nutrients too -- like most vitamins and minerals.

I've heard good things about Shakeology in terms of supplementing all the good stuff that is missing from pre-packaged foods, but haven't tried it myself.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi - I had a simliar problem, but I now use Trader Joe's Organic Hemp Protein Diet Supplement. The best part about it is that there are two ingredients....hemp and cocoa. I sometimes wonder if those other protein shakes that have 1000 ingredients in them are all that great for you anyway. I mix it with water and drink it once or twice a day.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I swear by Herbalife Shakes. Many different flavors, I sometimes make it with 1/2 container of low fat yogurt, along with soy (silk) and a ZERO vitamin water. 9 Grams Protein.
  • mandikaye
    mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Shakeology sounds amazing - too good to be true! At at $120 for a one month supply, I'm gonna have to pass. :(

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check into those.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Possibly. I would first consider just adding more vegetables and whole foods. Barring that, you might want to consider supplementing with a "whole foods" supplement drink because those type of foods are also lacking in other nutrients too -- like most vitamins and minerals.

I've heard good things about Shakeology in terms of supplementing all the good stuff that is missing from pre-packaged foods, but haven't tried it myself.

I completely agree with this. Adding more whole foods, like vegetables and fruits plus a nutrition drink that has protein is a great idea. Shakeology is exactly that....whole foods, super fruits, vitamins and minerals, probiotics. It is truly a shake full of nutrient dense ingredients. Nothing fake or filler. I can give you more info and help you out with getting a sample if you are interested. Just PM me.
    :drinker:
    Risa
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Shakeology sounds amazing - too good to be true! At at $120 for a one month supply, I'm gonna have to pass. :(

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check into those.

Yeah, too rich for my blood (budget) too. But how about some bags of frozen vegetables to steam along with those Lean Cuisines? Veggies have protein too. :happy: Add some beans and you could probably add at least another 20 grams.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    I just use six star protien from walmart. $20 bucks 26g protien 8g carbs and 150 cals. I do one after every work out and i dont seem 2 be AS sore when i really push myself. i know it helps with muscle recovery. Plus if i need 2 get some more calories in for the day i use milk ( or blend w fruit) and have a delicious strawberry shake.
  • amyday1
    amyday1 Posts: 35
    Options
    greek yogurt, skim milk and some frozen berrys, is an excellent smoothy and loaded with good stuff, low cal and low fat.... it puts me over in my protein usually...
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    When doing heavy weight training I will add Whey protein... you can always find a good deal online. It digests quickly so is good after a workout. There ARE a million ingredients but I am not one of those people who cares about the "unnatural" ingredients. ;)

I also love greek yogurt.... yumm!!