Protein supplement

Options
Tinaloren
Tinaloren Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My boyfriend is trying to win muscle. He is 175 cm and his weight is 65. He is doing great with the food and exercises but he thinks he needs a bit of help, he doesn't know which brand of protein powder to choose and he is afraid of taking something that is not going to help him. Do you have any ideas or have you tried something? We live in London by the way. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much protein is he currently getting per day?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Does win muscle mean gain muscle? Is that a UK thing?

If he is trying to gain muscle, there bigger question is around his workout protein and total caloric intake.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In terms of "doing great with food", is he tracking his macros? Is he struggling to get his protein through food? Does he even know what his protein target is!?

1) Figure out protein goal, either based on internet (medium to bad idea) or by having a consultation with a professional for some help. Most trainers will offer a first session and sample plan for free.

2) Track food to see if he can hit his macros through food alone.

3) If not, think about protein shakes to cram a bit more in.
    Most popular brand in the UK is MyProtein, which is what I use. Loads of other brands though - Optimum Nutrition is also meant to be good.
    There are a whole WORLD of complicated supplements out there, and a ton of different kinds of protein, but whey isolate is the normal place to start.

Sample sachets in a ton of flavours start at 99p
    https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein-sample/10529583.html

The best trainers I've found for muscle and associated nutrition are at City Athletic - I switched gym to go there. I train with Matt Ford who is ACE, and offers a free trial session. I think most of the trainers do. Worth a look if it's free!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I always love how no one actually answers the question/s asked on this forum...

OP-As far as protein powder's go I'm a fan of Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein. They're a good company that's been around forever. I believe Bodybuilding.com has a UK online store.

What's wrong with trying to figure out if he actually *needs* to supplement whey?
    OP mentioned that he wants to be sure it's actually going to benefit him. If he's eating enough protein already then no, a protein supp won't benefit him. It's not magic.
  • Tinaloren
    Tinaloren Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. I'll discuss with him what you said and try to find out all of those questions. Many thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take before, after, and progress photos of your bf so that you can use them to promote your new bodybuilding business.
  • psuLemon
    Options

OP-As far as protein powder's go I'm a fan of Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein. They're a good company that's been around forever. I believe Bodybuilding.com has a UK online store.

If the question is will i gain the most muscle? The last thing to look at is protein supplementation. At this point we would need to know his stats, current dietary intake and most importantly his training.

Its just about priorities. And id rather figure out the bigger issue than tell him to take this or protein powder to only be discouraged by results 3 to 6 months down the road.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If the question is will i gain the most muscle? The last thing to look at is protein supplementation. At this point we would need to know his stats, current dietary intake and most importantly his training.

Its just about priorities. And id rather figure out the bigger issue than tell him to take this or protein powder to only be discouraged by results 3 to 6 months down the road.

Truth, not to mention the potential waste of quite a bit of money involved in taking protein that may not be necessary or beneficial in the first place.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Truth, not to mention the potential waste of quite a bit of money involved in taking protein that may not be necessary or beneficial in the first place.

Ain't that the truth. And how many of us has bought into the BS that is the supplement industry.. Just look at how many buy CLA, Green Tea, BCAA's, pre and post workout shakes, etc..

I know I personally priorities things the way Eric Helms recommends:

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnut.2017.00013/full

The gist is, Milk Protein Concentrate has a higher digestible indispensable amino acid score than Whey Protein Isolate but barley and Whey Protein Isolate has more Lucien which is the most important amino acid for muscle growth and retention. And all of the other sources are inferior to these sources.

Whey Protein Isolate should be cold microfiltered. If it is processed using Ion Exchange, the chemicals used and the process damages the proteins.

Two whey proteins that use this method are:
    ISO-100
    Phormula 1
  • PPumpItUp
    Options

What's wrong with trying to figure out if he actually *needs* to supplement whey?
    OP mentioned that he wants to be sure it's actually going to benefit him. If he's eating enough protein already then no, a protein supp won't benefit him. It's not magic.

You cannot get too much protein as long as you do not sacrifice too much fat for proper hormone regulation and stay within your calorie goals. Carbs are good as long as they are healthy carbs, i.e. no fried potato chips, french fries, candy, soda, juice, etc.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

You cannot get too much protein as long as you do not sacrifice too much fat for proper hormone regulation and stay within your calorie goals. Carbs are good as long as they are healthy carbs, i.e. no fried potato chips, french fries, candy, soda, juice, etc.

But in the context of a diet, carbs are carbs. In fact, timing some bad carbs (i.e., candy) pre workout can be beneficial, especially if your total carbs are low or you do endurance. Dextrose is processed quickly, which means it would immediately utilize for energy, or stored as glycogen which can support events. Ultimately, not everything has to be sweet potatoes, rice and whole grains. It really comes down to application and utilization requirements.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • PPumpItUp
    Options

But in the context of a diet, carbs are carbs. In fact, timing some bad carbs (i.e., candy) pre workout can be beneficial, especially if your total carbs are low or you do endurance. Dextrose is processed quickly, which means it would immediately utilize for energy, or stored as glycogen which can support events. Ultimately, not everything has to be sweet potatoes, rice and whole grains. It really comes down to application and utilization requirements.

Common themes in the literature I read is the only time high gi carbs should be imbibed is intra-workout or post-workout. At this time your muscles are more insulin sensitive and the insulin will ferry the glucose into your muscles instead of adipose tissue.

• PPumpItUp
    Options
    I guess I should say, if you want to maximize nutrient uptake in the muscles and mediate risk of gaining fat. If you do not care about this you can take in high gi carbs whenever. Lemon are you an advocate of IIFYM?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I guess I should say, if you want to maximize nutrient uptake in the muscles and mediate risk of gaining fat. If you do not care about this you can take in high gi carbs whenever. Lemon are you an advocate of IIFYM?

I dont advocate for particular diet, as they all have merits and apply/work for people. I dont even adhere to a particular diet. I focus on calories, protein and whole foods.

But when accounting for calories and protein, high vs low gi is not going to have an impact, especially considering we rarely consume one in isolation but rather foods in a variety of combinations. And fats/protein slow the absorption and breakdown of nutrients.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

2 bags of gummie bears helped me through a pre-test(race) training run. It was truly amazing.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options

I dont advocate for particular diet, as they all have merits and apply/work for people. I dont even adhere to a particular diet. I focus on calories, protein and whole foods.

But when accounting for calories and protein, high vs low gi is not going to have an impact, especially considering we rarely consume one in isolation but rather foods in a variety of combinations. And fats/protein slow the absorption and breakdown of nutrients.

I hear people saying this a lot and I believe it for the most part but and insulin response with insulin resistant muscles means the insulin is depositing the glucose in adipose tissue instead of the muscle. How much of a difference this makes I do not know. FYI to people reading this. If you eat your protein, fat, and low gi carbs before the high gi carbs it will slow the digestion of the high gi carb.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I hear people saying this a lot and I believe it for the most part but and insulin response with insulin resistant muscles means the insulin is depositing the glucose in adipose tissue instead of the muscle. How much of a difference this makes I do not know. FYI to people reading this. If you eat your protein, fat, and low gi carbs before the high gi carbs it will slow the digestion of the high gi carb.

Well in general, carbs are going to convert to fat. If anything it will suppress fst oxidation and alllw fats to convert.

In general though, insulin is beneficial. Its the key to your all your cells to take in nutrients and suppress blood glucose. Even more so, it prevent protein degradation and enables muscle growth. The below video is a good discussion on it.

https://youtu.be/XNquMyUCCYI