Does anyone use vitamins?

2»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I take a breastfeeding multivitamin, vitamin D, calcium and iron prescribed by my gp for deficiencies and vitamin b12 injections as im unable to absorb it
    Pretty much keeps me covered and i have blood tests 6 monthly to check my levels
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Juniper210 wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I take a women's one a day Active. I mainly take it because it contains caffeine (I cut out the 3-4 energy drinks I was drinking every day) and because my iron has a tendency to be low. I figure if my body needs any of the other stuff in it, well that's a bonus.

Caffeine?! I need to get that one next

It's not a whole lot, about the same as a cup of coffee. I took them mainly to help stave off the side effects from caffeine withdrawal. It definitely did the trick.

https://www.oneaday.com/womens-active-metabolism

Taking caffeine to avoid caffeine withdrawal. Hmmmm....
    (said in a mostly joking tone.) =P

LOL Yeah it definitely sounds a little counter intuitive but I wasn't trying to quit caffeine necessarily, I was just trying to quit the minimum of 3 Rockstars I was having every single day. I'm happy with my one cup of coffee equivalent vitamin over the 720 mg of caffeine I was getting from my blue rockstars. My energy level skyrocketed after I quit. I think I was just going through a constant rush/crash cycle all day everyday.

Oh absolutely!! And congrats on quitting the Rockstar!! My hubby had to "quit" Monsters- he drank them too often. Not good for you. So I understand the struggle. Especially for those who dont like coffee.

Ive never been a fan of the energy drinks other than a Noz or a RedBull here and there years ago.

I must have caffeine and consider myself near death without my morning coffee.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thanks! I've never heard of anything like that before- might be worth a shot!
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Heart_of_a_lion Posts: 32 Member
    Here's the answer that not many will tell you...

If you're on a weight loss diet, you absolutely need to take multi vitamins. This isn't your body's natural state oh homeostasis. A good multivitamin will ensure that while you're loosing weight (which is already doing a number on your system), you're able to do so without hindering your immune system and body as a whole.

The strength of the multi vitamin will largely depend on how extreme your diet is.

Hope this helps.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    I take a handful of supplements most days, but not a multivitamin.

@Heart_of_a_lion is even more accurate for women meeting, or worse, failing to meet a 1200 calorie daily intake goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    Unless you have a deficiency or unavoidable dietary risk, tuning up nutrition is a better strategy, if your goal is best health. Some vitamins have even been found to be risky in supplement form.

Get enough protein, enough fat (especially fat from healthy sources like nuts, olive oil, avocado, etc.), and a bare minimum of 5 daily servings of varied, multicolored fruits and vegetables (10 is even better).

An affordable, mainstream, reputable brand of multivitamin as insurance won't hurt you, but get the eating dialed in rather than thinking a multivitamin will take care of it. During my lifespan, a good number of essential micro nutrients have been discovered and added to the canon. No reason to believe those discoveries have ended, and any newly-identified vital ones are likely in the foods our ancestors ate for centuries, or we wouldn't be here.

I take D (prescribed), DHA from algae (history of high cholesterol/BP before weight loss, and am vegetarian so don't eat fatty cold-water fish), and a vegetarian multiple (for micros that can be harder to optimize without meat).
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I take "Ritual Women's Multivitamins". I absolutely LOVE them. Online only.
  • MommyMeggo

If you're on a weight loss diet, you absolutely need to take multi vitamins. This isn't your body's natural state oh homeostasis. A good multivitamin will ensure that while you're loosing weight (which is already doing a number on your system), you're able to do so without hindering your immune system and body as a whole.

The strength of the multi vitamin will largely depend on how extreme your diet is.

Hope this helps.

Why would eliminating poor nutrition choices and replacing them with healthier alternatives all of a sudden create a need for a multi-vitamin?
    Its it not possible to lose weight and eat a well balanced array of foods that meet those needs?
    I realize there are a few specific minerals/vitamins that may not be met but those are probably going to be hard to meet for most anyway?
    I dunno.
    Im interested in this theory. Can you elaborate?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Hope this helps.

Why would eliminating poor nutrition choices and replacing them with healthier alternatives all of a sudden create a need for a multi-vitamin?
    Its it not possible to lose weight and eat a well balanced array of foods that meet those needs?
    I realize there are a few specific minerals/vitamins that may not be met but those are probably going to be hard to meet for most anyway?
    I dunno.

I think what he's saying is that with low calorie targets it is more difficult to meat nutritional requirements...especially the one's who just cannot somehow manage to even eat a measly 1200 calories...or are eating 1200 gross calories and then doing a crap ton of exercise and not fueling that activity.
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    You only need one if your diet is crap or you're doing ultra low cal dieting. Usually a waste of money IMO
  • MommyMeggo
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Hope this helps.

I dunno.

I think what he's saying is that with low calorie targets it is more difficult to meat nutritional requirements...especially the one's who just cannot somehow manage to even eat a measly 1200 calories...or are eating 1200 gross calories and then doing a crap ton of exercise and not fueling that activity.

Thats logical and what I was looking for. :)

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I take a fish oil supplement with vit D daily because I am trying to improve the quality of my fats and I don't eat a lot of fish.
  • mjlfit83
    mjlfit83 Posts: 19 Member
    They don't tell you because that simply isn't true.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Presently I take a women's multi, 2000 IU Vit D (deficient), Zinc (deficient), fish oil, sodium (keto) and magnesium (keto).
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Like a lot of previous posters I take a supermarket brand A to Z multivitamin plus minerals one a day. I am eating very low fat due to gallstones and was advised to do so by a dietician. I have been vit D deficient in the past ( but that was in March in the UK, hadn't seen the sun for over 3 months at that point) Recent bloods have come back and all is perfect so I will keep taking my multivitamin, it's all of £2.50 for a months supply, hardly breaking the bank.