Going Over Healthy Fats

Options
Obviously you should go over fat, protein, carbs, etc. I accidentally exceeded my fat intake for the day by eating an ounce of peanuts. Is this going to really throw me off? I'm regretting it now!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nope, not at all. Macros are totally personal. Weight loss is all about calories, not macros.

For example, I usually eat 10% carbs, 60% fat and 30% protein.

As long as you're getting adequate protein and at least a bit of fat, you can play with your carb and fat macros as you please.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank god!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Going over or under your macros doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Calories are what matter...macros matter for performance, recovery, body composition, etc...they don't particularly matter for weight loss.
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Going over or under your macros doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Calories are what matter...macros matter for performance, recovery, body composition, etc...they don't particularly matter for weight loss.

Wow, I honestly did not know that. Thank you so much. I am trying more and more to learn... I mostly sound like an idiot though. Thank you for clearly this up for me.
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    I keep going over my sugar too and it's all from fruit. I'm definitely not overeating, because I am only eating 1200 calories a day. So i guess that's sort of the same?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Being regularly under a recommended minimum Fat amount would be the concern, not going over (unless it is crowding out minimums of other stuff like protein/fiber/etc). I have mine set for the minimum I want to hit for those and aim to go over.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's all about the calorie deficit. You could eat brownies and Big Macs all day as long as you stayed at a calorie deficit. You probably wouldn't feel too great, but the weight would come off.

Fruit is full of fiber and nutrients, so it's fine to eat it. Some people choose to limit sugar, some people don't. Just take a generally balanced approach and eat foods that you enjoy and keep you feeling good and sated.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Macros matter more if you're trying to do more than just lose weight. Ex: If you want to "tone up" (I hate that phrase), then you want to pay really good attention protein to help build muscle.
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I am only a few months into this so I am still at a learning curve. I really appreciate all of the help!!! :)