How Many Calories do you eat a Day?? Cant seem to eat less than 1800cals

Options
vmbourg
vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
Its been a week back to healthy eating. I am trying to shed the last 20lbs of fat. Ive had success before with weight loss but would do a 1200 net diet. This time I cant seem to eat less than 1800 I workout 5 days a week. 1 day is yoga, the rest are 30 mins circuits in either a group class or personal training session. Can I really lose weight at 1800 cals per day? If I am logging excercise right, I burn at least 300 per session. Its a mix of cardio and strength training. So my net is around 1500. But I hear a lot of people dont do net and dont eat calories back. Anyone seen weight loss eating 1800 cals? I am Femal 5'4 ; 170ish pounds. Age 29 Thanks! Diary is Open to public

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and went from the 170s to 150 eating between 1750 and 1850 each day. That's total eating (so gross, not net.) At the time, I was running 30-40 minutes 3x/week and lifting weights 3x/week (full body.) My average weekly loss was a half pound over the long term.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". In the 160s I was eating 1400 plus exercise calories I THINK. I've always ranged from 1200-1600 for weightloss. I maintain on 1800 now.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think it is possible. Especially if you are exercising regularly and burning calories. I am losing steadily at around 1600-1700. I am also 5'4", but I have quite a bit more to lose.

Go for it! You can always adjust after you have some data over a period of time to crunch. I try to review my calories, exercise, etc. every 8 weeks or so to make sure I am getting what I need while still losing.
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am almost at maintenance 5'3" 119 lb. I have bade of 1500 and with exercise I can often eat 1800 I am still losing about 0.5 every week or so. I feel the lower the calories you feel deprived and if less than 1200 body goes into starvation mode and I didn't lose weight
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am currently maintaining, but I would lose weight if I ate 1,800 calories a day (I'm currently eating about 2,200 calories a day).

Women can lose weight on 1,800 if that's a deficit for them. Whether or not it is for you is going to depend on your current weight and your activity level.

Why not try it and adjust based on your real life results? If you don't lose or lose slower than you expected, you can adjust your goal downward.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    vmbourg wrote: »
    Its been a week back to healthy eating. I am trying to shed the last 20lbs of fat. Ive had success before with weight loss but would do a 1200 net diet. This time I cant seem to eat less than 1800 I workout 5 days a week. 1 day is yoga, the rest are 30 mins circuits in either a group class or personal training session. Can I really lose weight at 1800 cals per day? If I am logging excercise right, I burn at least 300 per session. Its a mix of cardio and strength training. So my net is around 1500. But I hear a lot of people dont do net and dont eat calories back. Anyone seen weight loss eating 1800 cals? I am Femal 5'4 ; 170ish pounds. Age 29 Thanks! Diary is Open to public

1800 could be totally fine at your size, or it could be a little high. No harm trying it for a month and see what happens. If you don't lose as expected, you know you need to take it down a little.

It looks like you're a snacker :). Nothing wrong with that, but some people find that "grazing" basically keeps them constantly hungry. Other people find they feel better grazing as they never get very hungry. If you find 1800 is too much but youre too hungry to cut back, it might help to try experimenting with meal timing and frequency to see if a different schedule will work better for you. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am currently grossing at least 1600 a day and losing rapidly.

My average seems to be 1700-1800 with weekends included...and I am 147lbs...so yah you can lose on 1800 if you are in a deficit.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2800 to 3500 a day. I lose on 2k or more calories easy.
  • vmbourg
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

1800 could be totally fine at your size, or it could be a little high. No harm trying it for a month and see what happens. If you don't lose as expected, you know you need to take it down a little.

It looks like you're a snacker :). Nothing wrong with that, but some people find that "grazing" basically keeps them constantly hungry. Other people find they feel better grazing as they never get very hungry. If you find 1800 is too much but youre too hungry to cut back, it might help to try experimenting with meal timing and frequency to see if a different schedule will work better for you. Good luck!

I am def a snacker. I had gestational diabetes twice and this particular weight loss journey is from a pregnancy. And since I had my son, I am still stuck in the habit at eating at regular intervals but so far my sugars have been in balance. I am having a really hard time at breaking that habit. I am trying right now to up my water intake and drinking green tea between meals to see if that helps curve the need to snack.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've found mfp's recommendations to be spot on for me. More than tdee ever was (which is why I spent a whole freaking year trying to find maintenance and gained 20 pounds).

Maybe your weight loss will be slower and that's ok.
  • Gymfanatic2017
    Gymfanatic2017 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I've found mfp's recommendations to be spot on for me. More than tdee ever was (which is why I spent a whole freaking year trying to find maintenance and gained 20 pounds).

not sure i totally understand your statement here..TDEE is your maintenance.

MFPs number is NEAT which can be maintenance if you don't exercise...

and to find maintenance is easy..you increase your calories by 50-100 calories a week until your weight loss stops and bam..maintenance.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I am def a snacker. I had gestational diabetes twice and this particular weight loss journey is from a pregnancy. And since I had my son, I am still stuck in the habit at eating at regular intervals but so far my sugars have been in balance. I am having a really hard time at breaking that habit. I am trying right now to up my water intake and drinking green tea between meals to see if that helps curve the need to snack.

Well try 1800 for a month or so and see what happens! Hopefully you will see a little progress and won't have to change a darn thing :).
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1500 to 2000 on average. Depends on how active I am on the day. I am trying to lose 1.5 pounds per week and that ranges seems to be getting me there.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200, most days I'm under, some days I'm over. I don't eat back my exercise cals. It's worked out well for me so far.

Stats:
    5' 2"
    SW 151
    CW 124.5
    GW 105 - 110

150 days in.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    6 ft,175 lbs, 2,500 calories in maintenance
  • vmbourg
    Options
    The owner at my gym is a nutrionist and I made an appt to review a plan. She liked my 1700/1800 cal days better than my 1400 cal days. Feeling confident that I can adjust now and start tracking. She knows how often/type/effort put in my workouts so I feel her plan will work. Although she wants me to stick to 1700/1800 per day on my workout days (4-5x's per week) and on my rest days eat 1600. So I wont estimate calories burned and just work on the gross cal number. Thanks everyone for input. Crossing my fingers it works!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Luna3386 wrote: »

not sure i totally understand your statement here..TDEE is your maintenance.

MFPs number is NEAT which can be maintenance if you don't exercise...

and to find maintenance is easy..you increase your calories by 50-100 calories a week until your weight loss stops and bam..maintenance.

I would. I would be even and then boom 2 pounds. Repeat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Currently cutting on 3520.