Five weeks, no going off the diet plan.

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
Is this the place to post this?

I've committed myself to 5 weeks of sticking to my plan. I lost 130lbs with pretty much no "cheating" then developed a bit of a binge cycle the past couple of months that has caused my weight to stagnate into maintenance.

So to reinvigorate my efforts, and re-commit to my goals, I'm dedicating the next five weeks to flawless diet and consistent calories. I took some progress pics, and will compare them at the end of five weeks hoping to see a significant-ish difference.

My challenge starts today. It ends july 28th. I'm currently 182lbs at 6' as of this morning. My goal is to be sub 175lbs at the end which would bring me about 5lbs away from my ultimate goal weight of 170.

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this, but haven't had much success with public declarations about sticking to my plan. ;) It sounds like exactly what I would like to do, though. I suspect if I saw the results of total commitment for a solid month, it would motivate me to get the last of my weight off as well. I may lurk & see how things are going for you and any others who join up.

May I point out that, with only 12 lbs left to lose, most would consider the rate of loss you are pursuing to be too aggressive. I only mention it because it could explain why you've fallen into the deficit/binge cycles in the first place. If you pursued a more modest deficit at this point, while it would take longer, it could improve your adherence.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Me and moderation aren't friends. I've actually upped my calories quite a bit recently from 1500 to 1800 per day, so far it seems to be helping both with energy and hunger. I've set some ground rules for myself that if I go over 2,000ish it's not the end of the world as long as it's with the intent of hitting my protein macro. I've also set a ground rule of no more purge cycles, so if I do end up going off the rails, I will not subtract more than 500 calories from my next day. (I was developing a bad habit of extended fasting and cardio post diet fail).

Not sure how this forum gets used, but I'll probably pop back in from time to time to update how it's going, plus post my results at the end. Just a way to share the experience and not feel like I'm going it alone.
  • try2again
    Options
    Me and moderation aren't friends.

Not sure how this forum gets used, but I'll probably pop back in from time to time to update how it's going, plus post my results at the end. Just a way to share the experience and not feel like I'm going it alone.

What are you going to do when it's time for maintenance? ;)

I guess I don't know now if you were looking for others to participate with you... I just see a lot of these informal challenges where people can join up. At any rate, hope it goes well :)
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez I can so identify with this. I lost a massive amount of weight and was so disciplined in the beginning. Now that I'm within 5 lbs of my current goal weight I just struggle so hard to stick to my plan. I too have fought the binge cycle :( congrats on the progress though, your goal is entirely attainable.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Reinvigorate and recommit loftus! Turns out the last stretch is the most difficult, so I'm doing everything I can to amp myself up and get it done!

Anyone whod like to join me is welcome :) we can check in each week or something and have a huge party july 28th
  • try2again
    Options
    How's this going, @Geocitiesuser ?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Haaa so bad :)

The first week was a total disaster! Second week I had a little weekend slip up. This week was going great, I almost made it two weeks with no slip ups, but something upset me last night and I stress ate a bunch of calories. So.... I've failed my own challenge. I'm still kind of maintaining at 6' and around 185lbs. Seems to be difficult for me to get underneath that.

Thank you for the follow up! I'd say the past 3 weeks though have mostly been much better than what I normally do. I just for whatever reason have lost that rock solid willpower I used to have when losing the initial 130lbs. To lose 130lbs with no slip ups, then get to so close to your goal weight and everything goes wacky, is frustrating.
  • try2again
    Options
    You've done a great job and have pretty much eliminated any weight-related health risks. (Take a look at this if you haven't seen it before- it's a BMI calculator but takes into consideration age-related risk: http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/ ) Every day that you *keep* the weight off & stay active is a victory. I understand that you want more in the way of weight loss, and that's fine, but if you're finding the focus isn't there right now, maybe give it a little time and come back to it later. Putting mental pressure on yourself & resorting to binge/restrict cycles isn't helpful for your long-term maintenance, and that should be your #1 goal right now.

I'm having a great week this week, primarily because I haven't been grocery shopping for a couple of weeks and there's very little junk in the house to tempt me. It's been very eye-opening- I've been hitting my goals easily with no particular hunger, so I just need to do a better job keeping the things out of the house I have a hard time saying "no" to. I feel like I may be able to get things moving here again.

Hang in there :)
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I just for whatever reason have lost that rock solid willpower I used to have when losing the initial 130lbs. To lose 130lbs with no slip ups, then get to so close to your goal weight and everything goes wacky, is frustrating.

I have the exact same problem. I lost 120+lbs, but I want to lose 10 more pounds. My willpower has disappeared. It’s been like that for a few months now.

It wasn’t even that difficult for me to stay at a 1000 calorie deficit for over a year. Now, I can barely stay at maintenance each day. I keep telling myself that I just need to commit for about two more months, but I keep giving in. I’m fighting against a sense of accomplishment that comes with losing so much weight already, instead of being focused on my ultimate goal.

• try2again
    Options
    GW4321 wrote: »

I just for whatever reason have lost that rock solid willpower I used to have when losing the initial 130lbs. To lose 130lbs with no slip ups, then get to so close to your goal weight and everything goes wacky, is frustrating.

I have the exact same problem. I lost 120+lbs, but I want to lose 10 more pounds. My willpower has disappeared. It’s been like that for a few months now.

It wasn’t even that difficult for me to stay at a 1000 calorie deficit for over a year. Now, I can barely stay at maintenance each day. I keep telling myself that I just need to commit for about two more months, but I keep giving in. I’m fighting against a sense of accomplishment that comes with losing so much weight already, instead of being focused on my ultimate goal.

Congratulations on the weight loss, but hoping the 1000 calorie deficit for over a year was a typo. If not, you seriously need to be on a diet break:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10481830/the-diet-break/p1

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Remember that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower weight loss will be (you are carrying around less of a 'package' now so not burning as many calories). It seems like 10 lbs in 5 weeks is a lot to expect of yourself when you are only 15 lbs from your goal weight. On the other hand, practicing self-discipline for five weeks is certainly do-able. Good luck in your continued efforts!
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Congratulations on the weight loss, but hoping the 1000 calorie deficit for over a year was a typo. If not, you seriously need to be on a diet break:

I appreciate the information.

My first goal was to lose 100lbs in a year. I did that and decided to keep going while I was still motivated. The last 10 lbs were lost at a slower pace (.5 - 1 lb per week). At the time, stopping my diet for any reason seemed like a bad idea because I was doing so well. That has changed now.

I’ve definitely been on an unintentional break for the past few months. Maybe I should transition into an intentional break to see if that resets me mentally. It might be a good idea, because this constant battle of trying to recommit and failing isn’t helping me at the moment.

Thanks.
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited July 2017
    Options

My first goal was to lose 100lbs in a year. I did that and decided to keep going while I was still motivated. The last 10 lbs were lost at a slower pace (.5 - 1 lb per week). At the time, stopping my diet for any reason seemed like a bad idea because I was doing so well. That has changed now.

I’ve definitely been on an unintentional break for the past few months. Maybe I should transition into an intentional break to see if that resets me mentally. It might be a good idea, because this constant battle of trying to recommit and failing isn’t helping me at the moment.

Thanks.

We're basically experiencing the same thing. If anything it's good to know it's not just me. Ever since I got to a healthy weight (I have 32" waist at 6' despite having overweightor high normal bmi being about 185lbs) hunger levels go ballistic on me.
  • try2again
    Options

Thanks.

I have a friend on my list who continued to make regular- albeit slow- progress long past the point that many of us lost focus & stalled out after losing major amounts of weight and she is the one that incorporates regular diet breaks. Something like 5-8 weeks on a deficit, 2 weeks at maintenance. It seems to have kept her mentally fresh and able to deal with what now is a very small calorie allowance. After a while, I think we start to feel like a failure when we are half-heartedly pursuing a deficit... better to take a complete break and enjoy the success of maintenance for a while!

Don't be too hard on yourself. You've accomplished something very few people have and you can finish the rest whenever you're ready. I've lost my weight (about 70 lbs so far) over the course of about 5 years with stops & starts (still have about 40 to go). Would I have preferred to have gotten it all off in one big chunk? Sure. Am I thrilled to be 70 lbs down 5 years later? You better believe it! And I'll get the rest done. Thankfully, the weight I've lost has improved my health to such an extent that I'm pretty sure I'll be around for a while to work on it. ;)
  • try2again
    Options

Thanks.

We're basically experiencing the same thing. If anything it's good to know it's not just me. Ever since I got to a healthy weight (I have 32" waist at 6' despite having overweightor high normal bmi being about 185lbs) hunger levels go ballistic on me.

You were talking about raising your calories... is that not working for you? How much of a deficit are you set at?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I did raise them, and it has helped a lot. It doesn't mean the last bit of weight to lose is easy though.
  • try2again
    Options
    I did raise them, and it has helped a lot. It doesn't mean the last bit of weight to lose is easy though.

Of course not! Just thought it might be helping stave off the extreme hunger & binges.