Under 5ft eating 1600 calories ?

Options
Had any success with weightloss ?

Replies

• xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot nothing and I can only eat about 1200 if I'm trying to lose a pound a week. 1600 would be maintenance for me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    its going to depend on your maintance - I know some folks who work with the same dieticians I do that are 5'0" and eat 1800-2000 (if not more) - but it is something that they have slowly worked up to and they are power lifters and heavy cross-fitters
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    same as @xandra47
    i'm 5 ft and to lose is 1100-1200 for me also. i have not hit maintenance yet.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm 5foot 1.5, up till February I was losing at 1700-1800. I took some time out, feeling a little off and then I'd a fitness challenge, so was eating at maintenance. But I'm back on board and am struggling to lose, so have just dropped to 1550. But was chatting with my coach, we're going to do measurements with calipers and re- evaluate. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to up my calories again. It's unusually hot here and I think I've reduced my activity unintentionally.

Don't forget, this all depends on your activity levels, lean body mass, age.... I'm 40+, cycle in/out of work, train ~5 times a week and social activities for me would be meeting friends for a walk or a park run. So I'm pretty active and do a lot of strength work, but I do have a desk job. On the other side I've an under active thyroid which goes out of whack every so often and PCOS, otherwise known as messed up hormones.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to see how the calories work out.
  • SammieCosme
    SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im 5' 1.5" and have to eat 1200 calories or under to lose if i eat over i gain.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It depends on your starting weight as well as your height. Height alone isn't going to give you a good indicator of how many calories you need to create a deficit. A larger body requires more calories for all activities than a smaller one does, so people who have a higher starting weight can also start with a higher calorie allowance. As you lose weight, your calorie needs decrease.

I am 4'11.75" and I have been on 1200+exercise calories for 2.5 years. At first, that created a huge deficit for me and I lost weight fast. Now my deficit is tiny and the last few pounds are coming off slowly. At my highest weight, I could probably have lost on 1600+exercise. Now, I would gain on that. It just depends on where you're starting from.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!