Brand Items Worth the Extra Cost and Off-Brand Item Disappointments

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
Share your stories and experiences. What brand items have you found worth the extra cost and what generic items turned you off?

Replies

• neldabg
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Disappointment: Aldi's cheese wedges. They'll do, but I'll take Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges any day.
    Happiness: Aldi's Clancy Pretzel Sticks. They're the best pretzel sticks I've ever had.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Disappointment: generic plastic wrap...Only Saran sticks to anything other than itself!
    Happiness: Great Value (Walmart) ice cream...Rich & creamy goodness!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I almost only buy name brand Advil, for some reason I have it in my head that it works better.

I don't have a preference for most things, generic or name brand, it's hit or miss for either, you have to try them to tell.
  • neldabg
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    Disappointment: generic plastic wrap...Only Saran sticks to anything other than itself!
    Happiness: Great Value (Walmart) ice cream...Rich & creamy goodness!

That's good news! I've been eyeing the Great Value Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream recently, but I didn't know if it'd be any good. I will try it after I finish off the ice cream I have right now.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that one, but the #chocolate is great and I love the aah fudge tracks!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Used to be a Heinz ketchup only kind of guy. All of the knock offs tasted weird/funny/gross to me. However in the last few years they have added in some very unhealthy things to it and the last straw was pulling out their plant in Canada.

Frenchs Ketchup. its better in every way. Tastes the way heinz used to and doesnt have the crap in it. Plus they took over that Canadian plant Heinz closed.

Fark Heinz.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »

Absolutely! The generic stuff is too thin or something.
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I almost only buy name brand Advil, for some reason I have it in my head that it works better.

I'm almost the same way with Excedrin. Although the generic works the same, name brand Excedrin pills have a coating that the generics usually lack.

Another: Quaker instant oatmeal. The generics always taste a bit off to me.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Haagen-Dasz Coconut in Dark Chocolate ice cream was a disappointment. Blue Bunny's Coconut Dark Chocolate ice creams bars were so much better, but I don't think they are being made anymore.
    Haagen-Dasz's Butter Pecan, Rum Raisin and Green Tea ice cream still taste better than the other brands'. Cherry Garcia is the best in Ben and Jerry's.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    off brands?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Baked beans - I only eat Heinz.

I practically lived off baked beans when I was younger, and my mum tried to use cheaper brands.... Every time she snuck them on my plate i knew straight away and wouldnt touch my food.
  • neldabg
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    off brands?

A product made by a company that is generally unknown or unpopular. You wouldn't see an ad for the product online or on television. For example:
    The famous Oreos:
    06e69124-9aee-489d-9e22-f71a205ab7fc_1.63e0ddc6b90956aedf665dd828350c35.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Great Value knock-off oreos:

82d1b65b-189e-4541-8564-f8e45c6f6889_1.a9a536df9e4ae14132f90cafc2d0b6d1.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Charmin vs any other TP didn't make the first five posts? I'm disappointed in you all.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Disappointment: store brand cat litter. It doesn't work and doesn't cover poo smell. Also store brand succulent mix. It's like topsoil with some sort of activated charcoal or small rocks in it. If you have a sensitive cactus don't do it.

Happiness: Sephora's store brand hair straightener. Not too expensive and will last longer than you expect considering the cost!
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    asda chocolate and hazelnut cornetto is much much better than the walls.

tesco value range cornflakes...I wouldn't eat them if I was starving during the zombie apocalypse!