I'm pretty sure I sound like a crazy person but I'm not seeing results the last week or so

2»

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    ck2d wrote: »
    I "stalled" after a month, added 250 calories daily, and lost 4 pounds that week. It's very possible you're eating too little, your body thinks you're starving, and it's holding onto the weight. I would suggest that you increase your calories.

Actually, the fat you lost the previous week but was masked by water weight or some other cause of fluctuation, finally showed up on the scale. This is very common and has happened to me many times. The trend over several weeks or even months is what to watch. It has nothing to do with starvation mode.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited June 2017
    ...OP should add calories (once ensuring logging accuracy) simply because he's eating too low to be healthy and fuel normal daily activity, and adjust his expectations for weight loss pace...
    This since OP is male ^^^
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're also OLDER so metabolic rate tends to be a bit slower. Most of all you just need PATIENCE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You shut your mouth! :D Kidding..... Sort of.... Not really....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited June 2017
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    A two-pound loss in a week is not a stall. It is, at your weight, a healthy rate of loss. Much of the 9 lbs you lost in the first week was water.

Right and I get that. I did break the cardinal rule and have been weighing myself daily and noticed I'm up two pounds from yesterday and then went back down.

Nothing wrong with weighing everyday as long as you're not going to freak out over every fluctuation. You didn't gain two pounds of fat overnight. It just doesn't happen that way. Most likely culprit is water weight.

And I'm not really worrying about anything beyond protein intake so maybe I need to watch salt to prevent that.

But you say in your OP that you're worried about weight loss "tapering off" (or ask whether you should be worried about that), and that's what everyone is responding to.

And what does protein intake have to do with watching your salt?

ETA: You don't sound so much like "a crazy person" (reference to thread title) as someone whose brain is foggy because he's been eating way too little for a month.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    So I started at 263 pounds. I started May 29th and have had weigh-ins every Wednesday since then:
    6/7: 254 lbs
    6/14: 251 lbs
    6/21: 249 lbs

I've been super strict about my calorie limits, only going over 1300... twice? I think? Should I be worried about it starting to taper off? I lost 75 pounds in 2012 and put all of it back on and more and I don't remember this kind of stalling this early in the process last time.

Any thoughts?

i am the same way. it's coming off sooooooooooooo slowly this time around. i lost 60 lbs in 2012 and it took right at a year. now i have been at this for a year this time around, and i have only lost 24 lbs in the entire year. it's maddening. keep up the good work. sorry it takes so long. :'(
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    edited June 2017
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    So I started at 263 pounds. I started May 29th and have had weigh-ins every Wednesday since then:

I've been super strict about my calorie limits, only going over 1300... twice? I think? Should I be worried about it starting to taper off? I lost 75 pounds in 2012 and put all of it back on and more and I don't remember this kind of stalling this early in the process last time.

Any thoughts?

i am the same way. it's coming off sooooooooooooo slowly this time around. i lost 60 lbs in 2012 and it took right at a year. now i have been at this for a year this time around, and i have only lost 24 lbs in the entire year. it's maddening. keep up the good work. sorry it takes so long. :'(

I'm sorry, but did you actually read the post. Losing 14 pounds in less than a month does not constitute a slow loss. Commiserating with the OP for it taking "so long" only encourages his unrealistic expectations.

OH, i only saw that he lost 5 lbs. i must have miscalculated or misread.
    i didn't see 263, i only saw the weights he entered on the dates listed, which is 5 lbs. from 7th to 21st.
    i wasn't commiserating, i just know how it feels to try really hard and not see the results you want.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2017
    ck2d wrote: »
    I "stalled" after a month, added 250 calories daily, and lost 4 pounds that week. It's very possible you're eating too little, your body thinks you're starving, and it's holding onto the weight. I would suggest that you increase your calories.

Repeat after me:

"Starvation mode does not exist. The body will not hold onto weight/fat if you feed it too little calories"...
  • HolyHibachi
    HolyHibachi Posts: 17 Member
    Chadxx wrote: »
    ...OP should add calories (once ensuring logging accuracy) simply because he's eating too low to be healthy and fuel normal daily activity, and adjust his expectations for weight loss pace...

Logging is definitely accurate. I measure everything out. This thread has helped me to realize what I should be doing.

Thanks, everyone.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Any thoughts?

I'm sorry, but did you actually read the post. Losing 14 pounds in less than a month does not constitute a slow loss. Commiserating with the OP for it taking "so long" only encourages his unrealistic expectations.

OH, i only saw that he lost 5 lbs. i must have miscalculated or misread.
    i didn't see 263, i only saw the weights he entered on the dates listed, which is 5 lbs. from 7th to 21st.
    i wasn't commiserating, i just know how it feels to try really hard and not see the results you want.

That's pretty much the definition of commiserating -- to express that you understand how someone is feeling.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Chadxx wrote: »

Logging is definitely accurate. I measure everything out. This thread has helped me to realize what I should be doing.

Thanks, everyone.
    Measuring food is not as accurate as weighing all solid and semi solid foods in grams on a food scale. Cups/spoons for liquids only.
  • iamhylian
    iamhylian Posts: 13 Member

Any thoughts?

Why are you eating only 1300 calories? Get back up to 2200. You're going to mess your body up with that low calories. You need to eat atleast your BMR.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    If you want to weigh daily, use a trend app. Happy scale for apple. Libra for Android.

Never heard of it. What's it do?

Helps you see a trend in your weight loss. I.e. (very simplified) if you were down 2 pounds on the scale one day and the next up one, the trend app will show a downward movement. Obviously it makes more sense in the longer term, when it's harder to see where your weight is going.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2017
    Right and I get that. I did break the cardinal rule and have been weighing myself daily and noticed I'm up two pounds from yesterday and then went back down.

this is truly okay. i don't personally care who weighs themselves when, or how often. and i don't think there is a single 'cardinal' rule for everybody.

just posting to reassure you that two pounds up or down is really, truly, just fine. i weigh myself most mornings for the fun of it because i ride to work and it entertains me to take real-life readings in the change room at both ends of on most workdays, just because the scale's there. and for some reason, i always find it really entertaining that the weight of me in the morning (with massive lunch in backpack) is often exactly the weight i get at the end of the day with backpack on (but lunch inside me).

tl;dr: i can 'lose' up to two pounds just by peeing, some days. not hyperbole. i've repeated this experiment several times and it's fact. and i've got the bladder of a 5'3" woman.