Cleared for Exercise

Options
So I have been cleared for exercise. I am very out of shape and live a long way from a gym. Advice? Ideas? Non expensive equipment that you love? I have 10lb weights, Exercise Ball, Wii, and a lake out my back door. I am 34 and 316 pounds.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Can you walk at a moderate pace for 30 minutes? If not, start there. Stop when you start to feel tired. Build up. Going too hard, too fast can lead to injury and burn out. Swimming is good, too. Do any of the active games on the Wii while you're getting into a groove, then work up to some of the more intense stuff. If you end up walking, once you've gotten a good base established, try the Couch to 5K program if running interests you. Incorporate body weight exercises, push-ups (start on the wall and work your way down), squats, lunges, planks, etc. Use your dumbbells to add resistance to squats and lunges. Do some dumbbells rows, bench press and overhead press.

Seriously, though, start slow. Do not think you have to go whole hog and jog 2 miles or start Insanity. Baby steps are the key to making new habits that will last you for your lifetime.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Can you walk at a moderate pace for 30 minutes? If not, start there. Stop when you start to feel tired. Build up. Going too hard, too fast can lead to injury and burn out. Swimming is good, too.

This (the whole post, not just the quote) is great advice. If you're starting from scratch, walking is a great exercise. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want by varying the pace and the terrain (unless you're somewhere truly flat), and it gets you outside. I do a lot of cycling, but I still take walks from time to time as part of staying in shape. Plus it keeps my walking muscles in condition for the times I visit a big city and end up walking around all day!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    First off good on you for talking to your doc; it often gets ignored. Like others have said, start easy and make consistency your goal. Walking is good, water aerobics may be another option. Experiment and find something g you like.