I have been eating healthier for about a month now....

and the last week or so has been pretty unpleasant. I am having an extremely hard time going poo. I drink a couple of cups of black coffee in the morning but the rest of the day is pretty much all water except for the occasional cup of tea. I shouldnt be dehydrated. Could it be that my body is adjusting to eating less ? i feel really good except for the stomach issues. Also my doctor suggested i use a probiotic and have taken them for about 4 days but they arent helping like she said they would. Also my diet has pretty much been grilled chicken or turkey burgers and vegetables. I dont know what to do to remedy this problem.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    You need a healthy balance of fiber and fat. Try eating some berries and/or prunes tomorrow, or flaxseed, kefir etc, while hitting your fat goal.

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    are you getting enough fiber?
    Are you having any Dairy?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I was also going to suggest adding more fat and fiber.
  • btfullerton
    btfullerton Posts: 13 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You need a healthy balance of fiber and fat. Try eating some berries and/or prunes tomorrow, or flaxseed, kefir etc, while hitting your fat goal.
    i dont think this is healthy but i drank two glasses of grape juice to see if that helps. its what i have currently until i can go to the store to buy some prunes.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    The three things you need a sufficient amount of is, water, fiber, and fat. Usually, the one people who are eating "healthy" struggle with is fat since it has been demonized for so long.
  • btfullerton
    are you getting enough fiber?
    Are you having any Dairy?
    i am probably not getting enough fiber. and as for the dairy its in limited amounts and i rarely eat cheese for fear it might make things worse.
  • btfullerton
    i dont think this is healthy but i drank two glasses of grape juice to see if that helps. its what i have currently until i can go to the store to buy some prunes.

I mean...I don't know about the fiber in grape juice. The sugar maybe ha...

Oh! and Fiber one cereal. The basic one is awesome too because it's only 60 freaking calories per serving! I remember coming home from the GI doc and having some of that cereal with blueberries. I was fixed up the next day.

yeah, im just a little desperate. i know grape juice is not the best. ill make a note of that brand of cereal so i can buy some when i get to the store. i live in a small town that doesnt have items like that at the grocery store.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member

Oh! and Fiber one cereal. The basic one is awesome too because it's only 60 freaking calories per serving! I remember coming home from the GI doc and having some of that cereal with blueberries. I was fixed up the next day.

yeah, im just a little desperate. i know grape juice is not the best. ill make a note of that brand of cereal so i can buy some when i get to the store. i live in a small town that doesnt have items like that at the grocery store.

It's cereal. I bet they have it.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    I've noticed if I'm not hydrated enough that I can have a difficult time going esp if I'm taking probiotics. When you take them you need to keep hydrated.
  • btfullerton

maybe they do. i need to go and look. last time i went there though they only had stuff like captain crunch and apple jacks.
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    Can definitely relate to this. My new best friend food is 15-20g of all bran cereals sprinkled on top of plain yogurt. I have a 1 serving in the morning and one at night. The All Bran add a nice crunch to the yogurt by the way.
  • jgartenman
    jgartenman Posts: 6 Member
    You should be including a little bulky fiber and some healthy fats to lubricate your colon. If you're in discomfort, it means your poop is stuck, not that it's just less. Try extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Brown rice is great for moving things along.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Keep in mind if you are eating substantially less, it will take longer for your intestines to fill up so you feel the need to go. As others have said, you should be adding fiber to your diet. If you are truly constipated, or on meds that make you so, you may need a stool softener.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2017
    I often have the same problem. Taking magnesium citrate helps, and if I go a day without a poop I will take a dose of Miralax, also. I need to go daily or I feel really crummy and it gets hard to go.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

maybe they do. i need to go and look. last time i went there though they only had stuff like captain crunch and apple jacks.

For what it's worth, Froot Loops really do a number on my number 2s. Not the best way to go about it, but it's something.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    I had the same problem just by cutting my food intake down not really changing foods and I felt miserable and sooo bloated. I was desperate so used Miralax and bought probiotics and also took Magnesium. Magnesium and Miralax worked by the next day. Still taking the magnesium and I havent had the issues since. Fibre and fats didnt nothing to help me, but thats not to say it wouldnt work for you :)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member

I live in BFE so I totally understand this. There is so much my store doesn't have, even normal things like cilantro or eggplant.

Anyways, if my calories dip too low I have trouble. Also, fiber (both dry and wet sources) and fats.
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Check out Thrive market. They have a lot of health foods and you can get them delivered. I have been eating overnight oats almost everyday for a month. You can use mason jars, old pasta jars, or reuse plastic cylindrical containers.
    Overnight oats provide a lot of protein and fiber :smiley:

Here is the base recipe:

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 Tbsp Chia seeds
    1 Tbsp Hemp hearts (optional)
    1/2 cup Your choice of milk (I prefer almond coconut, since I have issues with cows milk)

Then you can add whatever you like, I really like PB&J:

1/2 cup diced strawberries
    1 Tbsp natural peanut butter

Another is chocolate banana:

1/2 of a banana
    1 tsp cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)

I add a 1/2 tsp of honey for a little sweetness.
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    I started eating really well May 29th, and I have to say that between drinking more water, eating less processed junk and eating these oats every morning.... The first 3 days, I was in the bathroom like 6 times a day. :open_mouth::no_mouth: