Deviated septum?

Options
Anyone else here have a deviated septum and find it truly hard to work out? Every time I get to breahting hard I go into panic mode because I feel like I can't get enough air. This has really put a damper on my workouts and I've gained weight. I've been doing yoga and find it's working fairly well, but cardio? I struggle with. Any tips? My doctor won't do sinus surgery, says the cons outweigh the pros.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have this condition. Remember, you can control your weight in the kitchen even if you workouts are hampered.
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me this nasal spray that seems to help. Has it always been this hard?

Always. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I had my nose cotterized in 2008 and it's been very bad since then.
  • Jmariemiller
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm sorry you have this condition. Remember, you can control your weight in the kitchen even if you workouts are hampered.

I barely eat all day but yes I'm trying to be better about what I'm eating.
  • LittleBlackRabbit
    LittleBlackRabbit Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've a deviated septum as well. I've noticed different symptoms occur at different activity levels.

It's more difficult for me to do with low or moderate activity. However at high activity the symptoms are less noticeable. Bleeding has also never occurred for me during HITT.

My doctor has been on me to have it corrected. However as a medical student, I'm broke. Lol

A nasal decongestant could help. But you may need to manually ensure your nostrils remain moist. (Light layer of Vaseline.) There are antihistamines, or nasal sprays, that could help as well.

Also, is your doctor general or ENT? They tend to give different advice.
  • Jmariemiller
    Options
    Been to both, tried everything but surgery. They won't do surgery because there's no guarantee it will work sadly and the nearest clinic to me that does that surgery is 4hrs away.