Pre-workout

Options
Question. I am a runner and lifter and just recently started drinking pre-work out. My daughter told me NOT to drink it prior to running as it increases the heart rate even more and could be dangerous. I usually run a number of miles, come back to the gym and lift for about 90 minutes. Opinions????

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Why do you NEED prework out? Do you NOT have energy before your workout? And your daughter is correct as most pre workouts are laced with stimulants that raise your heart rate.
    Do you lift every day? And why for 90 minutes?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week. Lower body and abs every other visit and upper body and abs every other visit. As far as energy I am a bit sluggish at times. I'm a farmer and start my day at 4:30 a.m. and it can easily go until 9:00 p.m. in the summer before I can relax a bit. I go on about 5 hours of sleep a night and have for years.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough for your activity level?

You could always take the preworkout after running but before lifting. Although I personally can't imagine that much activity and that little sleep.
  • Capergirl11
    Capergirl11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have also started drinking pre-workout before doing my cardio. my son who is a body builder told me not to drink it for the same reasons. I don't sleep well 2 -3 hrs if lucky and usually sluggish during the day I find it helpful to get through my workout
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I took a pre workout for the first time before my heavy lifting session on Thursday and I can tell you the stimulant effects were similar to my misbegotten youth. Sure I had energy but I felt high and didn't particularly like it. I'm used to taking caffeine laced energy gels but this was way off that scale. Have you thought about trying an energy gel with caffeine that's designed for running instead? They got me through a half marathon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a bit sluggish at times - doesn't mean you need to take stimulants though.
    My opinion is that it sounds potty to take before running to be honest.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Might just be me but I feel like I have more energy when I have a cup of coffee vs when I take c4. Coffee tastes better as well.

I work out when I wake up. Did alot of workouts without anything but water before and I can say preworkout or coffee makes me feels world better and less cranky.

Just my experience

My sister tried c4 and threw it out, said it made her feel like she was on crack. But she also stopped drinking coffee because it made her anxious. Everyones experience will vary
  • udebear
    udebear Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I take activ8 first thing, get dressed and head of for fasted cardio. It warms me up quicker which i need as its 4degreesC here at 6am if not colder. It also perks me up as I've got to get 4 kids ready for school after that which is almost a workout itself.
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge advocate of Pre-workouts (especially the additional fluff they put into it). I would recommend Optimum Nutrition's Amino Energy. It's primarily BCAAs, but it has a low dose of caffeine (hence the title "Energy") - but you can add more scoops to your liking (quite a few scoops, actually, if you REALLY need the boost - but I would recommend lower to assess comfort level). Also, BCAA's are great for pre and intra workouts (even post). Over time you'll notice that your endurance will get better and it will take more to get you fatigued. One last thing to mention is that it also helps recovery time between your exercises so you can go at it harder :)

Just some friendly tips.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    conseanery wrote: »
    I've never been a huge advocate of Pre-workouts (especially the additional fluff they put into it). I would recommend Optimum Nutrition's Amino Energy. It's primarily BCAAs, but it has a low dose of caffeine (hence the title "Energy") - but you can add more scoops to your liking (quite a few scoops, actually, if you REALLY need the boost - but I would recommend lower to assess comfort level). Also, BCAA's are great for pre and intra workouts (even post). Over time you'll notice that your endurance will get better and it will take more to get you fatigued. One last thing to mention is that it also helps recovery time between your exercises so you can go at it harder :)

Just some friendly tips.

I love this stuff. I use it in the afternoon after my workout (it's also used for recovery). I need an afternoon pick me up and coffee usually makes me too thirsty. It's also great for traveling to friends and family who don't drink coffee/nor has a coffee maker.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback and it certainly gives me plenty to think about. I think I will NOT do the pre-workout prior to my run.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I love me some pre-workout. I wouldn't take it before cardio though
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I take pre-workout before a run or cardio, the same as I would before lifting. Depending on what you're taking, it's no different than drinking a cup of coffee.

That said, if you're an early morning runner, you may want to be cognizant of the laxative effect that caffeine can have ;-)