Hungry after every meal...

2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    I could have written this post myself. I've had unrelenting hunger for the last couple weeks, like I'm hungry immediately after meals... and I'm not very low calorie at all.

Today is my first day experimenting with lower carbs and fats up around 100g. I figure it's one of three things
    low leptin
    leptin resistance
    low serotonin

Each of those scenarios has a different fix so I'm experimenting with high carb refeeds, low carb high fat, and partitioning meals so I eat my carbs and protein seperate from each other for optimal tryptophan uptake... or I'm just a hungry pig and I dont' know what's up lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    sarhrgn wrote: »
    I think you may be onto something with all the raw foods causing indigestion.... but what should I eat then that will be healthy, fulling, but not processed and refined?

IDK...cook the food?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    It's sounds like your hormones could be altered due to being in a deficit for too long and aggressively losing below where your body is comfortable. I have clients that come to me with the same type of thing that after their competition prep and it's after the show and their bodies are wayyy out of wack for being in such an aggressive deficit at a low bf %.

I would recommend eating until you feel satisfied. Track your calories but do not set a limit to how much you can eat, and just track it. If you're working out that much, you need to be eating more than 1800-2000 calories, ESPECIALLY if you're always hungry!

I'd say, track your calories, and get an idea of how many calories makes you satisfied. If you eat, and in the middle of an 800 calorie meal, you feel content and like you don't need to eat more, then stop, and just relax. If in 30 minutes you get hungry again, finish the meal or make something else, just don't force yourself to eat, or deprive yourself when you feel that real hunger feeling.

I think this comment is very insightful. OP, out of curiosity, how tall are you? If you are shorter, this burn may be on track; if you are taller, then this will help provide some other clues.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I agree... How tall are you and how much are you eating and how active are you?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    10 lbs in just over a months time is a bulk. My bet is that when you got down to 112 you were dehydrated and had low glycogen and we never REALLY 112 lbs. You started to maintain, gained water and glycogen and poof, you gained 5 lbs, now you're measuring high. and you're actual weight is closer to 117 lbs.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong except all that exercise needs plenty of carbs. I'd stay the course, maybe slack off on some cardio and drop your calories 100 at a time if you really want to get down a few lbs.

More protein will definitely help. I'm not a fan of lots of fat, but some people say that helps too. Plant protein is more satiating than animal protein anyway so you're in luck. Edamame is my go to superfood for high protein/fibre fill-me-upness. Find it in the frozen isle.

Counter intuitive, but try intermittent fasting by skipping breakfast, many people (including me) have found that it enables you to feel less hungry, believe it or not and it also allows you to eat bigger meals when you do eat.

I don't think you have cause to worry you're gaining weight.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    112? Hungry after every meal? Then eat!
    Just pay attention to what you're eating. I'm not a dietitian, I have a physical job, lifting various weights randomly all day, I eat breakfast and dinner, take in a protein shake as soon as I wake up and before I go to bed, I'm getting leaner, and lost weight. It doesn't matter to me if I eat a entire bag of cookies or 6 pieces of chicken I'm still getting lean and muscular than I've ever been in my life because I repeatedly lift 60-80lbs sometimes more all day.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I have much the same problem. I working with 1600 calories a day but trying to lose. You could just be one of those people that needs large meals. The *only* meal that I don't feel obsessively hungry after is breakfast. I don't think I eat anything special but it's just a time of day that I'm not overly hungry. After 11AM all bets are off. I am fairly hungry after lunch but I find some popcorn at the end of the meal helps. As I get closer to dinner a cup of hot tea with milk takes the edge off. After dinner I am ravenous. So much so I can't concentrate.

One thing that has helped is to do away with some of the between meal snacks so I can have a larger lunch and dinner. Your snacks, IMO, are pretty hefty. I would scale them down and have a bigger dinner. You just may be one of those people that works better with volume and your stomach needs to feel full to quell the hunger cues in the brain.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @sarhrgn you are asking good questions and getting good replies. It may take a while and a lot of reading to understand the cause(s) of your cravings but in time you will figure that out I am sure. It was not until I was 63 that I knew to look for a new way to eat that stopped me from being hungry when trying to lose weight and reverse major health problems that came from eating wrong for my body for 40 years.

Best of continued success.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Could be 'what' you eat and not 'how much' ... as in my own experience, some foods bring on a surge of hunger very soon after a meal and others do not. Also, as some others have stressed, you might need to see your physician about it to rule out any physical reason for the hunger pains you experience as they may not be hunger pains at all.
  • amandaanneryan
    amandaanneryan Posts: 8 Member
    I believe I experienced something similar! I have been maintaining my weight for 1 year now after losing 48 pounds. I tracked macros and it basically became my life. A few months ago, I was ALWAYS hungry no matter what I ate (my diet remained the same). I would have this deep emptiness in my stomach that would travel up to my throat. It seemed the only way to stop the sensation was to eat but it would return soon after (a viscous cycle). I thought it was my body's reaction to stress and telling me to take a break. I stopped tracking macros and just ate. I gained around 5 pounds. It did subside but the feeling would happen time to time. I never went to the doctor but I believe it was acid reflux. I cut out Frank's hot sauce, spicy foods, and seltzer. I no longer have the gnawing feeling in my stomach. I went back to my usual workout routine and tracking macros. I am not sure if it was a combo of stress and reflux but mentally I am at peace now. Good luck!
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Are you sure you're eating back all of your exercise calories? It sounds like you are extremely active. You don't mention any specifics about your TDEE or anything, but maybe you aren't eating enough. I like RAD_fitness's comment about trying just eating and seeing what makes you full. I also second seeing a doctor, in case it's an ulcer or gastritis from anxiety.

I also agree when other's said it could be the raw food... I've noticed that I will be STARVING after I eat a huge salad, even if I include feta, avocado, nuts, etc, and the macros are right on. But if I eat a sandwich (still healthy on sprouted grain bread, organic no salt lunch meat, avocado, etc) and some baby carrots, I feel full. I don't know exactly why, but I'm assuming something to do with the massive amount of raw vegetables vs the complex, hearty carbs in the sandwich. Just something to think about.