Don't seem to be eating enough but not hungry

Options
I am heading towards 3 years in maintenance and it has been relatively easy for me. I am 5'0", 70 years old, weigh 135, lost 40 lbs., and pretty much stick within a 2 -3 lb. range for that. I work out 5 days a week, Pilates, cardio, strengthening. I am satisfied with everything except that lately (and I mean for some months), I have a very small appetite and eat very little in terms of quantity. I seem to remember that my mother (at this age and younger) also had the tiniest of appetites. She, too, lost a similar amount of weight and kept it off all her life. We used to tease her about how little she ate, and now that's what is happening to me. My TDEE is 1600-1800. Generally I eat around 1500, but have a hard time eating more than that. My meal portions are very small. I feel fine and healthy, and my energy level is good, but sometimes worry that I am not eating enough?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    You're fine if your TDEE is 1600 and you're eating 1500.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you maintaining your weight, or are you still losing? If you're still losing and you don't want to be, then add some more calorie-dense foods in to your diet (nut butters, avocado, ...).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if you feel fine and your doctor isn't concerned about it. If you are losing and you don't want to then I agree with @mitch16. If you are concerned because you have family members telling you you aren't eating enough then I would ignore them. If you are maintaining your weight and happy with your activity then it sounds like you are eating the amount you need. Someone who is 5' tall doesn't usually need a ton of calories. I especially wouldn't worry if your mom was healthy and was the same way.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the info, @ninerbuff and thanks to everyone else. I am definitely maintaining, not losing. Just had all my annual checkups including complete physical and everything checked out perfectly, so no issues there. I just often have trouble getting in the 1500 and wondered. Food just doesn't seem to interest me much unless it's something really unique that I can't usually get at home. I guess I should be glad that it isn't more of a struggle.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @jrwms714 at our age slightly under eating when healthy can add to our future quality and quantity of life.

Mitochondrial health can be key for all but especially for we seniors. The first link below drives that home in a technical sense.

Mitochondria and the aging heart
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3390067/

This next link is from a supplement vendor that I use that while they are marketing goods they offer some well documented research that I have found helpful. Reading the pro/con comments can be helpful like all the links posted in the second comment on the post below.

lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/8/three-step-strategy-to-reverse-mitochondrial-aging/page-01

How we move can be key to keep walking and talking longer as pointed out in this last link I am posting.

https://nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/move/the-best-exercise-for-aging-muscles.html

There are tons more of info about senior health and these what, why and how links points that out.

While most all articles may be helpful most all articles can contain dated or just plain medically false statements so we need to make sure our third eye is open so we can read between the lines.

Best of continued success.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for the info, @ninerbuff and thanks to everyone else. I am definitely maintaining, not losing. Just had all my annual checkups including complete physical and everything checked out perfectly, so no issues there. I just often have trouble getting in the 1500 and wondered. Food just doesn't seem to interest me much unless it's something really unique that I can't usually get at home. I guess I should be glad that it isn't more of a struggle.

I would let your weight and energy level be your guide more than an actual calorie count. If you feel good, are maintaining your weight, and your doctor is happy with all of your health markers just enjoy maintenance.
  • jrwms714
    Options
    Thanks, all! Great answers and info.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think you must be eating enough, 1500 is a pretty good amount for us petites. Mostly our body tells us if we need extra calories, we feel fatigue or lack of energy usually. Sounds like you are doing just fine :smile:
  • jrwms714
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe I should have posted this in the Petite Maintenance Group. I forgot about that! Thanks, @RunRutheeRun. Sometimes we petites really do have different needs. That helped a lot! Thanks to everyone, also. These forums are simply great!