If one throws up within 15 minutes after eating something....are the calories lost??

Options
I'm not bulimic, nor have flu symptoms...just got triggered I guess and threw up my breakfast within 15 minutes....after I logged it into my daily food intake.....Did I just lose those calories?? erm. yikes?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Well yes because they never got digested.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should try not to do that. I was told that as soon as food enters your mouth and saliva starts breaking it down your body is getting calories. So even when you throw up, it isn't possible to throw up all the calories you've eaten. Your body has already absorbed some. (This may or may not be true, I'm not a doctor or nutritionist.)
  • hbrody8427
    hbrody8427 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You absorbed at least half the calories you originally ate. Please don't make throwing up a habit. I was bulimic (in recovery now) and that isn't a road you want to go down. It's painful physically and especially emotionally. In the moment you might feel like throwing up will solve the problem but it leads to far more bigger problems. Sorry for the rant. I just don't want you to go through what I did.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    hbrody8427 wrote: »
    You absorbed at least half the calories you originally ate. Please don't make throwing up a habit. I was bulimic (in recovery now) and that isn't a road you want to go down. It's painful physically and especially emotionally. In the moment you might feel like throwing up will solve the problem but it leads to far more bigger problems. Sorry for the rant. I just don't want you to go through what I did.

I doubt it would be anywhere near half of the consumed calories, but some of them certainly.

OP, perhaps try to determine what set it off. Certainly not something that you want to be ongoing. If not food poisoning, or bulemia, what about pregnancy?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    What do you mean - you were triggered?

I've never been triggered to throw up unless I was sick. Are you sick?

I wouldn't try to figure out the calories. It's not even possible to do.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you were triggered into making yourself throw up in hopes of getting those calories back, that's a big red flag. How often does this behavior occur? I know you say you don't have bulimia but it sounds like you could be headed in that direction. Don't be afraid to get help if you need it. Good luck. And I would say yes, you lose those calories, only for the reason of not making this a frequent occurrence of calorie saving method.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you were triggered into making yourself throw up in hopes of getting those calories back, that's a big red flag. How often does this behavior occur? I know you say you don't have bulimia but it sounds like you could be headed in that direction. Don't be afraid to get help if you need it. Good luck. And I would say yes, you lose those calories, only for the reason of not making this a frequent occurrence of calorie saving method.

Especially when prefaced with " I'm not bulimic".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can be triggered by seeing or smelling something vomit worthy. OP don't adjust your logging for vomiting. FIfteen minutes is enough to consume the sugar and the whey protein in your meal.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is genuinely troubling. A person who is ill and throwing up would not be thinking about calorie logs. Or maybe vomiting is just really traumatizing to me.

OP... just in case you're thinking about puking up meals... you may get thin, but but you'll look like *kitten* for the rest of your life. Assuming you survive.

*No offense to people with eating disorders... I just feel like this post is highly alarming. *
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Probably best to consider them digested, simply because eating soon after may make you lose it again. But definitely eat easy to digest for a few hours.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes you still get some calories depending on food, carbs are quickly broken down unlike protein.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This is genuinely troubling. A person who is ill and throwing up would not be thinking about calorie logs. Or maybe vomiting is just really traumatizing to me.

OP... just in case you're thinking about puking up meals... you may get thin, but but you'll look like *kitten* for the rest of your life. Assuming you survive.

*No offense to people with eating disorders... I just feel like this post is highly alarming. *

There are plenty of posts by people worried about calories lost from vomiting, in fact enough so that there is a database entry for it. There are also people worried about the number of calories in cough syrup. Don't underestimate people :confounded:
  • Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    Speaking as a former bulimic, somewhat but not all. I would go ahead and log half of the cals you ate.

(Sorry if anyone is triggered by this or anything, you should NEVER make yourself throw up on purpose. Although I know that wasn't the case with you OP, just putting that out there.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you've just vomited up food, I would not worry about logging calories at all. I would worry about being sick.

If it was just a one time, odd thing, and you are otherwise feeling fine and able to keep subsequent meals down, just don't worry about logging that meal, and just move on with your day. One meal inaccurately logged on one day will not throw you off track.

Hope you are feeling better.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Anything that happens once in a blue moon is not worth worrying about. Just don't over think it and move on.