Losing weight with PCOS

Hi Everyone...I'm not new here, but I haven't been on this site in ages. I am hoping to find some success stories from other women suffering with PCOS. I just had a baby...and I gained a huge amount of weight. But baby is healthy and happy, and it's time to get losing. What diets have you followed? I've heard good things about the Low GI diet, but I want to know what has really worked for others. Thanks!!

Replies

• VeganMaymoon
    VeganMaymoon Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Fossilmama. I have PCOS as well as T1 Diabetes.

I went through a stressful 8 months and gave up on the gym. I gained 20 lbs. Now, I'm on to shedding it. It is happening nicely. I've lost 8 pounds already (within a month) with only a small amount of exercise that I have committed to increasing. I bought an elliptical, a gym-quality one (Life Fitness brand). I have always found the best success with elliptical trainers. They are comfortable, allow full body use, easier on joints than running, and burn lots of calories.

I pull up some TV show on my iPad, timed in accordance with how long I want to work out. I use my iPad as a TV and barely notice that I'm working out. I also have a fan running in front of me as I work out and am thinking of adding another. My elliptical has taken over the entire living room, but it's so worth it.

As for diet, I eat a vegan diet and feel so much better for doing so. I also try to keep my vegan diet as clean as possible, focusing on whole foods. One shelf of my fridge always has a huge salad bowl filled with salad. When I say salad, don't think "lettuce/tomato/cucumber". Think, every veggie I can get my hands on. I see what there are good deals on. I experiment with different things. For example, I love chayotes in salads. I also make my own salad dressing. I never, ever buy salad dressings. Seriously, it's so easy and quick and so much tastier. Try it with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, red wine or apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, a drop of hot sauce (I like sriracha), and shove a ton of dill in it, fresh or dry. Stir and let is sit for a minute or a few minutes.

Last night, I made this after my workout: http://www.lafujimama.com/2010/03/tofu-steak/
    It was extremely delicious. I made it using organic black soybean tofu. Gourmet, healthy, lots of protein. $1.29. I don't want to bombard you with recipes, so I will also just note something that only takes a minute in the microwave and is even tasty cold: Tofurkey Italian Sausage. One has 29 grams or protein and 270 calories. It's so filling and tasty. I like it with some ketchup on top.