To All of My Vegans Out There...

Options
NekaMaye88
NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
How long have you been vegan?
Why did you decide to go vegan?
How much weight has been lost from being vegan, even if your reason for becoming vegan has nothing to do with weight loss?
How do people respond when you tell them that "I'm vegan"?

RANDOM QUESTION:

What is your favorite exercise?

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well today!

Replies

• bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer your own questions!
    15 years
    I decided that vegetarianism was no longer enough.
    How much weight has been lost from being vegan, even if your reason for becoming vegan has nothing to do with weight loss?
    Who knows. I've been vegan so long I have both gained and lost over the years.
    It doesn't come up often. The last time was with my son's pediatrician as he is being raised in a vegan household. She did a little extra reading, which impressed me, so that she could make sure my son's typical blood tests took into consideration anything particular to veganism and to catch up with AAP recommendations. With people who are new to me, I rarely talk about it unless meal plans are being made.
    Way too hard to choose. I dance, lift, run, bike, use the elliptical machine and enjoy it all.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    That's awesome! Wish I could say I express the same love for bokchoy. ;) I feel like my friends and family are all foodies so food comes up all the time and my mention of being vegan is always a "shocker". lol

Been vegan for 4 months.

I was pescatarian for 1 year, then tried the paleo diet for a couple of months and realized I hated it. The taste of chicken made me sick to my stomach. Then I did more research on the vegan diet and how it helps animals, the environment and my health so I said I'm gonna do it! :)

I've lost nearly 20 lbs in this 4 months period. I didn't even realize that until today.

People don't know what it is and think they do but most people think I'm weird and think that I'm starving myself. It actually makes me chuckle. :)

I enjoy dancing...a lot.
  • winniethepooh751
    winniethepooh751 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was only vegan for a short while last year, but I actually gained weight doing it because my body doesn't particularly react well to carbs and I was eating brown rice often. I'm sure if I were to do it again I'd lose weight this time. I'm almost vegan except for the fact that I eat eggs now.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I gave Veganism a chance, but I just couldn't meet my protein requirements for the day without living off protein drinks and bars. I love vegan food though, especially desserts. :)
  • catswithcheekbones
    catswithcheekbones Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Vegan for almost 4 years.
    I went vegetarian because of the mini documentary "Meet Your Meat" and stayed vegetarian for a year before going vegan, but going vegan was always my goal.
    I lost 10 pounds when I went vegetarian, but nothing when I went vegan. Which is surprising, because I didn't watch what I ate at all while vegetarian and hardly ate any fruit and vegetables!
    When I tell people I'm vegan I always get the "Wow! You must have so much willpower, I could never do that" and of course "What do you EAT!?"

And my favourite exercise is running and kickboxing!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    6 months, but not hard core, like if I am out to eat and an item has eggs in it I will eat it, I only do this by choice.

I had high triglycerites and so I read a book by Dr. Neal Barnard about the benifits of eating vegan so I decided to try it, I didn't really like meat anyways. And I love it. Sometimes it is hard to eat out with my group of friends, but I am not by any means starving! LOL.

I have lost 18lbs, but working out and limiting calories has helped alot also. HOWEVER, my triglycerites have plummeted, my Dr was very impressed with my numbers.

And alot of people have no idea what a vegan is.

Favorite exercise is playing softball or rollerblading.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I was only vegan for a short while last year, but I actually gained weight doing it because my body doesn't particularly react well to carbs and I was eating brown rice often. I'm sure if I were to do it again I'd lose weight this time. I'm almost vegan except for the fact that I eat eggs now.

Oh okay. Eggs was particularly hard for me to get rid of. Granted it wasn't a problem for me to let go of meat, but eggs was like my..."go to" when there was nothing but meat on a menu at some dine out place. lol I try to watch my carb intake as best as possible and just do veggie protein and vegetables.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I gave Veganism a chance, but I just couldn't meet my protein requirements for the day without living off protein drinks and bars. I love vegan food though, especially desserts. :)

After work today, due to a pretty depressing week, I'm going to purchase a vegan oreo cookie shake as a treat to myself. :) The protein requirement is a bit of a problem I'm working through. Some days I have too much protein and others I don't have enough. Trying to find that balance so I completely understand where you're coming from. :)
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I think you should also add: What is your favorite meal?

Mine is, Quinoa, tomato, onion, black beans and avacado with sriracha, YUMMM. I eat this ALOT!
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    6 months, but not hard core, like if I am out to eat and an item has eggs in it I will eat it, I only do this by choice.

I had high triglycerites and so I read a book by Dr. Neal Barnard about the benifits of eating vegan so I decided to try it, I didn't really like meat anyways. And I love it. Sometimes it is hard to eat out with my group of friends, but I am not by any means starving! LOL.

I have lost 18lbs, but working out and limiting calories has helped alot also. HOWEVER, my triglycerites have plummeted, my Dr was very impressed with my numbers.

And alot of people have no idea what a vegan is.

Favorite exercise is playing softball or rollerblading.

That's awesome! Today is my 4 month-iversary. haha I tried to do as much research as I possibly could before I made the short leap into veganism. I haven't done any blood since last year so I should probably do a little follow up and see where all of my numbers stand. :) That's cool that you love being vegan. I do, too, and I thought I was odd for really, really loving it! haha
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I think you should also add: What is your favorite meal?

Mine is, Quinoa, tomato, onion, black beans and avacado with sriracha, YUMMM. I eat this ALOT!

That sounds amazing! I'm gonna have to try that. :) I enjoy tofu scrambles with as much leafy vegetables as possible. I could live off of tofu scrambles haha
  • sydoe94
    sydoe94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

About a year and a half now, but I've been vegetarian for almost 10 years.
    It's bad to cause unnecessary suffering.
    It's hard to say. I was never really big to begin with and since I went vegetarian so early in childhood it's hard to tease out which lifestyle choices resulted in my weight. Maybe I would've been bigger if I was never vegetarian. Maybe it had no impact. But I lost about 10 lb off the bat going from vegetarian to vegan.
    It depends on the person. I think it makes people uncomfortable because lots of people feel like they should be vegan but aren't, and so they get defensive. Often they act like they're worried about me and are like "where do you get your protein?". Sometimes they try arguing with me. I always try to be respectful and answer questions and respond to concerns concisely and honestly because I feel like veganism makes the world a much better place and I don't want to turn people off of it by seeming preachy or defensive.

RANDOM QUESTION:

Walking. XP
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump for later because I'm very interested in becoming a vegan..... I. am transitioning into being a vegetarian... i'm still giving in to my "meat urges" about once or twice a week though. It's hard to let go... im slowly easing into it though....
  • jennifervalentinebcc
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for the last 8 of those.

I decided to go vegan as a 30 day challenge. I didn't like feeling addicted to cheese, yogurt and ice cream, and wanted to prove to myself that I could live without them. By the end of the 30 days I was feeling great and never even thought about going back.

I did not lose weight by going vegan, but didn't have any I needed to lose.

The response to "I'm vegan" depends on where you are. In more progressive circles it's totally normal or even respected. In meat country people just don't get it. But usually when I make it clear that I'm not trying to convert anyone (live and let live) it's all good.

My favorite exercise, by far, is running. I run competitively and I LOVE it!

My favorite meal is probably this one http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/04/citrus-quinoa-tempeh-plate-with-avocado.html or this one http://mjr.earthbalancenatural.com/lemon-tofu-with-pasta-vegan-cream-basil-sauce/. But I omit the peppers (not a fan).
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 8 angus beef burgers in fridge. i will eat them tomorrow all day. Instead of cheesecake.

Humans are hunters and gatherers, not hipsters by our DNA.

Beef burgers need to pepper their angus

jk not srs. respect to nonmeat eaters for their choice, but a lean meat or fish is required for good fitness and looks, for men at least
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing! I'm gonna have to try that. :) I enjoy tofu scrambles with as much leafy vegetables as possible. I could live off of tofu scrambles haha
    I love tofu scrambles with greens. Have you tried Indian black salt yet? It imparts a slightly eggy flavor. It's great in scrambles.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegatarian, does that count? :wink:

Actually I'm not vegan, but eat that way most of the time. Wanted to add that soba noodles are good as a switch up from quinoa. Love both! And especially with siracha.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, not vegan.

Been a vegetarian for two full weeks - challenging myself to go 8 weeks just to try out the lifestyle. I do indulge in seafood when I am feeling the need for meat but try to limit how often I eat that.

I am doing this for my health - I wanted to see if I felt different with meat out of my system and so far I feel great. At the end of 8 weeks I plan to reassess and either continue as a vegetarian or go back to eating meat. Right now I'm leaning towards staying vegetarian.

My favorite excerise is swimming at the gym. I also like walking and as the weather cools down I will be walking more.

My favorite meal - I am still trying different vegetarian recipes but so far my favorites are baked squash and sautéed green beans and carrots with sesame oil and soy sauce.
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    Over eight years.
    For the animals, for my wellness, for cheaper food, etc. Animals primarily.
    At first I lost about 10 pounds without doing anything. Since I've been vegan for so long, I haven't had vegan-related weightloss for a while.
    Most people give me the standard "where do you get your protein/iron/calcium/other mineral" bull, but generally the reaction is "oh. okay."
    RANDOM QUESTION:

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well today!

I don't exercise, but when I did I loved lifting.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan almost 2 years and was vegetarian for quite a few years before that. I did it entirely for animals, and the weight loss and health benefits were a welcome surprise. I lost about 30 pounds in a matter of a couple months when I went vegan. Dairy was really my main source of fat so I think that is why I lost so quickly. I wasn't trying or expecting it.

Most people are cool with me being vegan, although you always have a few who make a big deal and want to start an argument. I have perfected allowing my eyes to glaze over while planting a sad and resigned smile on my face. They usually get the hint to drop it. lol Generally I try not to mention it because in group gatherings it can become the main topic of conversation and I've had that conversation 1,000 times already. Nobody ever commented on my diet when I was downing veggie pizza and beer all the time and getting fatter!

I just started doing some lifting and strength training at the gym and love it!