Can you build muscle without high carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• Secondhalf35
    Secondhalf35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cool. Yeah I felt it was too much and not enough healthy fat allowance. I'll get round it some way. Thank you for input
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Carbs are not just for workout energy, carbs do something else that's powerful, they increase insulin. Insulin is a 'building' hormone. It tells the body to build muscle and fat for energy storage. Without carbs, and a calorie surplus, gaining muscle is far less than an ideal, effective way to do it.

The other reason to eat carbs for strength training is because they replenish your glycogen reserves. Your glycogen is the energy that's used for strength training type workouts and over time, they get depleted and need to be refilled. Carbs are the best at this. It will take much longer to recover your reserves if you try another method. It's just not as efficient.

You don't need such a high amount of protein to build muscle anything slightly less than 1g/lb bodyweight is plenty. Your body just can't put all that to use growing muscle so you might as well have carbs or fat.

Don't be afraid of fats, to build muscle you need to be in a surplus anyway. You may find fats are ok for endurance exercises because since they take a longer time to turn into usable energy. When you need energy 'right now' fats just can't be used fast enough. That's where glycogen created by carbs are ideal. Very fast source of energy for bursts that you need for strength training.

Although not really a 'proven' thing, you might be able to get by eating less carbs if you ate all your carbs around your workout window.
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    Thank you
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Only asking as high carbs and low fat is hard for me. My body loves healthy fats

Absolutely. Look at Luis VIllasenor from Ketogains he is ripped and eats keto.
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    Thank you