Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Options
12346»

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    SnackHips wrote: »
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

Sorry, the meds, in and of themselves, do NOT cause you to gain weight. Most depression medications that list weight gain as a potential side effect do so because it may increase your appetite. It's still up to you what you do or don't eat. You are not a victim of unexplained weight gain.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but sometimes losing the victim mentality and discovering that you actually DO have control over it can be all that's needed to rise above and succeed. :)

You are absolutely wrong. If you have not actually been on the medications or a medication that increases appetite or causes weight gain you are no one to say anything. I was on Resperidone for two years and gained 120 lbs in a year about 2 lbs a week. My full signals were all screwed up. I started having metabolic syndome. I craved pizza and other heavy things. My appetite and desire for healthiness were both thrown totally out of wack. As soon as I stopped the medication the weight gain stopped, the cravings stopped, and my triglycerides and cholesterol went back to normal. It is harder to control medication induced appetite increases than you understand unless you have been there.

Oh, furthermore, I was on Geodon which causes appetite suppression and didn't want to eat hardly anything, but it didn't help me in the ways I needed.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out. [/quote]

That's exactly how I am. Thanks for sharing. It is so frustrating and I am willing to use every tool that is at my disposal.

Oh, and I have gained 10 lbs in a week and I felt so bad about the overeating. It is a horrible cycle.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are ssying. My perception when someone wants to do weight loss surgery is that they don't want to do the work to lose weight. But I understand many people who actually worked hard to lose weight and need the surgery to help them. They work hard to continue to lose weight and follow strict guidelines. Its hard not to judge bc we are human BUT not everyone who considers WLS is doing so bc they dont want to do the work. Most work hard.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    TheMoon26 wrote: »
    Hey i see so many posts about people having surgery to lose weight. Where are all the people who actually struggled and lost weight on their own? I need tips and inspiration.

I have been offered that surgery in the past.

I found a different Doctor.

I know quite a few people who have had that surgery.

They fall into two classes of those who are dead and those who wish they were.

This may sound harsh but at almost 58 years old it has been my experience with those who have had it.

I have failed many times at weight loss and I have lost 20 or 30 pounds here or there to gain it all back plus some more.

My current success is simply a reflection of my admission I have a problem. (68.2 lbs lost in 28 weeks)

Log every day as though your life depended on it! Be accurate!

Step back and approach it from the 3rd person.

Set a moderate deficit and stick to it come hell or high water!

I have stalled in a rebound for a whole month before and I would be lying if I didn't tell you I didn't get a little squirrelly towards the end of it but I have made a vow and I am gonna keep it.

The last bit is this I AM NOT A VICTIM!

I have spent 57 years making poor food choices and my current state of health is what it is because of those choices!

1. Everything I did or knew or thought I knew about weight loss and food in the past is rubbish and cant be relied on.
    2. The simplicity of the CI/CO concept is all I need. If at any moment I think otherwise than I refer to rule number one.