Is this enough?

Options
So got my new workout plan it's mainly weights on different areas of my body each day legs, arms etc. And at the end of each workout, there is a 20 min cardio session. Will this still help me to lose weight. I'm not trying to build muscle just look firmer and tone up while I lose weight. TIA

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It sounds good to me! The real key to weight loss is tracking your calories eaten and calories expended, and staying in a deficit. With your starting workout as a base, you'll no doubt build up some stamina and be able to add more exercise to your routine. Be sure to log your exercise so you can see how many calories you're burning.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight management.

Exercise for health, aesthetics and more to eat.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is HOW you get toned.
    You arent going to build muscle while losing weight. Weight training will help you keep that muscle you already have.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a myth that you can't lose and gain at the same time. Obv you'd get different results if you ate in a surplus. But not impossible
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    I thought it was a myth that you can't lose and gain at the same time. Obv you'd get different results if you ate in a surplus. But not impossible

the conditions required to do it are not present in a normal situation. You would need to have at least 25% body fat, Eat 250g of protein a day, weight lift like a pro athlete for 6 hours a day 4 times a week and do 2 days of interval training all while having a caloric deficit and being NEW to weight lifting. It also wouldnt happen continuously, likely after a certain amount of time the muscle gain would stop until you went into a caloric surplus.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What lifting program are you doing?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Lifting while in a deficit will do exactly what you want...focus the loss on fat and retain as much muscle as possible. But rather than a different body part each day, you'll be better off working with a progressive full-body routine. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Lifting while in a deficit will do exactly what you want...focus the loss on fat and retain as much muscle as possible. But rather than a different body part each day, you'll be better off working with a progressive full-body routine. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Thank you. I prefer this workout as my gym is small so saves me waiting around for equipment :smile:
  • Jayj180894
    Options

the conditions required to do it are not present in a normal situation. You would need to have at least 25% body fat, Eat 250g of protein a day, weight lift like a pro athlete for 6 hours a day 4 times a week and do 2 days of interval training all while having a caloric deficit and being NEW to weight lifting. It also wouldnt happen continuously, likely after a certain amount of time the muscle gain would stop until you went into a caloric surplus.

Wow. I'm very surprised by that. I'll stick to just retaining my muscle then haha
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So got my new workout plan it's mainly weights on different areas of my body each day legs, arms etc. And at the end of each workout, there is a 20 min cardio session. Will this still help me to lose weight. I'm not trying to build muscle just look firmer and tone up while I lose weight. TIA

what does this even mean?? you don't want to build muscle, just "tone up" ??
  • Jayj180894
    Options

I want to retain. Keep the muscle I have look firmer lose weight. I was under the impression that it was possible to build and lose at the same time. But I've been told that's incorrect in a normal situation so really was I trying to get at was that I didn't want to build *kitten* loads of muscle but after being being put straight I mean I want to retain my muscle
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

I know "tone" is like nails on chalkboard for a lot of folks, but what we need to remember is this is the language a lot of women have to describe the results they want. It's all over women's magazines and talk shows. It's used because most women fear "building muscle" and "bulking up" because they don't understand the mechanics and calories behind building muscle, especially for women.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options

I want to retain. Keep the muscle I have look firmer lose weight. I was under the impression that it was possible to build and lose at the same time. But I've been told that's incorrect in a normal situation so really was I trying to get at was that I didn't want to build *kitten* loads of muscle but after being being put straight I mean I want to retain my muscle

for women to build *kitten* loads of muscle they would need steroids. There are plenty of fine examples of women who lift on MFP who are probably the look you want. Dont believe the fear that if you lift a weight you are going to somehow end up like she-hulk.