This Time is Easier Than Before

Options
Hi everyone! This is my third time attempting to lose weight. Thankfully, I never gained more weight over the last 3 years since the first time. My weight stayed the same. I took the time to gradually wean myself off of soda and a lot of sugarly food which I think has helped this time around.
Some stuff about me: I am 26, and the owner of a local, popup, maid café in my area. Dancing and looking adorable in a Japanese style maid outfit is a huge part of my job. I saw myself dancing in one of the videos from our last show, and it was horrible. I was emabarassed watching myself jiggling about the stage with all of my petite employees. I decided that something needed to change.
My goal is to be able to drop the extra weight I have put on over the years thanks to my major depression and emotional eating.(I'm currently learning how to handle my depression without resorting to food or medication as my crutch. All advice welcome.) My mini goal is to be able to do the entire new dance routine without feeling like I'm dying. My long term goal is to be healthier, drop about 100 pounds, and be able to fit in a much smaller size of my uniform.
Please feel free to add me! :3 I have been going strong for about 3 weeks now. Let's keep each other motivated!

Replies

• mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I needed to see this today! I myself am in the boat with you girl. I too have been struggling with depression and find that I am an emotional eater. I find comfort in food. I have tried multiple times to lose weight but have managed to gain and lose the same 20 pounds more times than I care to admit. I need to lose about 56 pounds to reach my goal weight. For some reason I am finding it much easier than before. After a recent visit with my primary doctor he said something that stuck with me. Maybe you've heard it before but if you haven't maybe it will help you too.

He said the symptoms of depression are depressing. When you feel sad, your first actions are to wallow in it. The wallowing makes you feel worse. Emotional eating makes you feel worse. Thinking makes you feel worse. He said that no matter how hard it is, and believe me it is hard, to get out and do something to redirect it. He said to take a walk. Get out of the house. Find a hobby. Talk to someone. Make plans with a friend. Anything to redirect your mind. He said to change the things you can that bring you down. Mend broken relationships even if means you being the bigger man. Change your career. Get involved with your church. Talk to your pastor. He said medication can be a band-aid for a bigger problem. While medications do help tremendously, a person with depression needs to also find ways to redirect negative thoughts.

I have found that this works so much. I didn't realize these things until he pointed them out. It's easy to lock yourself away and eat yourself to death. Ice cream always seems to mend my broken heart. I'm learning that forcing myself up off the couch to do something I love has the same effect. If you want to friend me so we can motivate each other, I can always use it. I will succeed this time. It's in my heart to continue and be the best version of me I can be. I want my husband to do a double take when we go to my office Christmas party in December!

I wish you all the best on your journey! We can do this!

• Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is my third time attempting to lose weight. Thankfully, I never gained more weight over the last 3 years since the first time. My weight stayed the same. I took the time to gradually wean myself off of soda and a lot of sugarly food which I think has helped this time around.
    Some stuff about me: I am 26, and the owner of a local, popup, maid café in my area. Dancing and looking adorable in a Japanese style maid outfit is a huge part of my job. I saw myself dancing in one of the videos from our last show, and it was horrible. I was emabarassed watching myself jiggling about the stage with all of my petite employees. I decided that something needed to change.
    My goal is to be able to drop the extra weight I have put on over the years thanks to my major depression and emotional eating.(I'm currently learning how to handle my depression without resorting to food or medication as my crutch. All advice welcome.) My mini goal is to be able to do the entire new dance routine without feeling like I'm dying. My long term goal is to be healthier, drop about 100 pounds, and be able to fit in a much smaller size of my uniform.
    Please feel free to add me! :3 I have been going strong for about 3 weeks now. Let's keep each other motivated!

This is also my 3rd attempt and have been dealing with depression due to numerous life things going on. It just finally hit me that maybe the one thing I can 'control' can help me get out of this cycle I'm in. I can't control the job, the weather, the daily situations that just happen...but I CAN control what I put in my mouth. So, as dumb as it sounds, maybe putting my energy into ME right now, will allow everything else to fall into place.

You CAN do this!