Stepping up light dumbbell workouts: More reps or heavier weights?

Options
I'm currently doing a full-body strength workout from Joan Pagano's "Strength Training: Exercises for Women" book. Most of her exercise recommendations look something like this example:

Level 1: 10 reps, 3-lb weights, 1-2 sets
Level 2: 12-15 reps, 5 to 8-lb weights, 1-2 sets
Level 3: 8-12 reps, 10 to 12-lb weights, 1-3 sets

At this point, my primary goal is weight-loss; I'm trying to preserve and strengthen muscle as I go. At present, for most exercises, I'm doing Level 2, 12 reps, 5lbs, 2 sets. When I'm ready to move up a notch, should I look to increase the reps-per-set to 15 or keep doing 12 reps with 8-lbs?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If it's a good program, it should be followed as written. For muscle preservation, the # of reps isn't as important as the difficulty level. :+1:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It seems to be good. So, step up the weights over the reps, then.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, add weight unless it affects form, then lower it and do extra reps.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You are at 12 x 2 @ 5lbs now.
    Work level 2 until you are at 15 x2 @5lbs.

Once there, up your weight in level 2 to 12 x 1 or 2 @ 8lbs.
    Work that weight until you reach 15 x 2 @ 8lbs.
    That is the top of level 2 so then it will be time to move to bottom level of level 3.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't understand programs that use onlynone weight for all exercises. You should be able to squat a lot more than you overhead press or deltoid raises.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I don't understand programs that use onlynone weight for all exercises. You should be able to squat a lot more than you overhead press or deltoid raises.

This. I use a whole host of different weights. I'm a moderate reps, moderate weight gal and my deadlift is significantly heavier than anything else. Chest press heavier than overhead press etc. I'd be doing myself a great disservice by using the same weight for all.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I think @estherdragonbat was giving an example of how the routine was set up, not that every move use the same weight.

I do the AllPro programme which works on rep increase before weight increase and this is how interpreted her programme-

Once one can complete the progressive reps at a certain weight, one then increases the weights.
    ( one still gets the volume increase per workout)

Even if it is still the same weight across the board Esther is using, as a novice it will help her pin down her form.

Cheers, h.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think @estherdragonbat was giving an example of how the routine was set up, not that every move use the same weight.

I do the AllPro programme which works on rep increase before weight increase and this is how interpreted her programme-

Once one can complete the progressive reps at a certain weight, one then increases the weights.

Even if it is still the same weight across the board Esther is using, as a novice it will help her pin down her form.

Cheers, h.

Ah I see, makes sense now!
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

Cheers, h.

Yes, exactly. Some of the exercises don't use weights at all at the first level. Some, like push-ups, don't use any; just increase the reps.