What is the best protein powder to use for baking? Looking for specific brands please :)

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I love the taste of Trutein protein powder (chocolate peanut butter) but I've tried baking with it and the results were pretty disastrous- bordering on comical. I think the problem is the casein. I'd like to try making brownies, cakes, etc but I don't know what protein powder to buy for this. I don't want to try out too many because if I don't cook with it, I doubt I'll use it up any other way. What are the best brands and flavors to use to cook with?

Replies

• evacandemir
    evacandemir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Myprotein is the best brand they have a brownie mix and mug cake mix too
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Quest Vanilla, I think they make one specifically for baking. Their powder is fine and mixes really well in other things
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to sneak nutrition into your kids snacks? I used to make black bean brownies. Protein and fiber. I used a blender to mix the black beans and used store bought mix. Easy.
  • holybadassery
    holybadassery Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, dont use whey-- makes you gain weight like crazy
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Are you trying to sneak nutrition into your kids snacks? I used to make black bean brownies. Protein and fiber. I used a blender to mix the black beans and used store bought mix. Easy.

I'm trying to make a cake, bars, pancakes, etc, with macros that are a little more reasonable for my hubby and I. I've seen some awesome recipes that are high protein, low calorie, but they require protein powder as a base. We don't have massive amounts of sweets around the house for the kids but they're just fine with m&ms or a popsicle occasionally.

The black bean brownies look awesome though! Do you just add the store bought mix and a blended up can of beans or do you add any other ingredients (eggs, oil, etc)?
  • abbynormalartist
    Options

I feel like a good brand of whey protein is exactly what I need for baking.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I love the taste of Trutein protein powder (chocolate peanut butter) but I've tried baking with it and the results were pretty disastrous- bordering on comical. I think the problem is the casein. I'd like to try making brownies, cakes, etc but I don't know what protein powder to buy for this. I don't want to try out too many because if I don't cook with it, I doubt I'll use it up any other way. What are the best brands and flavors to use to cook with?

ON Gold Standard. Vanilla or Rocky Road for me.

Thank you!!

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Woo! Woo on you! This is absolute nonsense. It's just protein. Calories in. Calories out.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    A few things.....

Whey isolate bakes "okay" compared to regular whey concentrate, but gets a bitter dry flavor if it gets over cooked.

Pea protein is pretty well known as the best protein for baking with, but I've never used it.

I am a huge fan of flapjacked baking mix. It's 20g protein for half cup of all purpose baking mix. Comes in buttermilk, apple, carrot, or banana, but really only the apple and buttermilk are worth having/using. I use the buttermilk flour in everything....
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options

cooked and mashed beets hide in chocolate very well too!