newish fad, or recycled fad? re: sweat

Options
Luna3386
Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
Does sweating get the toxins/icky stuff out?

My first thought is not enough to cause you to sweat more (I'm sure some of us have seen these gels and Vanna belt things on Instagram). Any sciencey things to say in response, since I just can't seem to bite my tongue?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Toxins aren't a thing, if they are you need the hospital as you ingested too much narcotics (alcohol included) or something chemically toxic.

Sweat is uh, sweat, water and salt mostly. Which is why it's encouraged to replace those electrolytes afterwards though that's more of an issue for endurance athletes.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Toxins aren't a thing, if they are you need the hospital as you ingested too much narcotics (alcohol included) or something chemically toxic.

Sweat is uh, sweat, water and salt mostly. Which is why it's encouraged to replace those electrolytes afterwards though that's more of an issue for endurance athletes.

Thank you. This gal I know who has gotten into this is a pre-nursing student so I honestly expected a bit more from her.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised! And they may not have even started to teach anything on the subject yet. Heck there are even doctors that push utter nonsense.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Lol those "heat wraps" people are wearing to burn fat.

There are some exceptions such as sitting in a dry sauna for a little bit after a lot of working out. It opens blood vessels, which can help move metabolic waste along its way and prevent muscle soreness. But it doesn't burn calories or fat or toxic-whatevers.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cyclists - especially road ones - have a much higher rate of osteoporosis than anyone else. Men included. Lots of stories of 30 year old guys taking a minor fall and breaking a hip. What's going on? Well, cycling is a low impact exercise, that's part of it, but we're worse off than couch potatoes, so it's not just impact. We sweat a lot, losing plenty of electrolytes, and apparently minerals that would otherwise be part of our bones. That's the best current theory anyway. So, no, it's not just icky bad stuff coming out in your sweat, it's not a detox.