Need to lose 20 kgs and need motivation

Options
FitYoungMom
FitYoungMom Posts: 12 Member

A couple months ago I gave birth to a gorgeous baby girl.
somehow along the way i've lost myself..i mean, i used to be interested in many things. One of those things were living a healthy lifestyle and staying fit.
While I was pregnant I've given into my cravings..each and every one of them. And this was a mistake that i only realized when it was too late. Ive gained 30 kgs throughout my pregnancy, and lost 12 post delivery..the weird part is, i'm still giving into most of my cravings even after ive given birth!
I remember when i used to gain 2 kgs id feel terrible! And id instantly lose them by eating very healthy and exercising vigorously.
But now i just feel helpless! As if there is nothing i can do ! I need to get my self back. Everytime i look in the mirror i feel so angry and non of my clothes fit anymore! I need motivation as i tried twice already to start dieting but keep going back.. i need to know and believe that i can do this.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,105 Member
    Options
    You can do it and you're not helpless. Stop thinking of it as dieting and start making small sustainable changes that you can stick to.

Set up your account honest and accurately, choose a rate of loss that is sustainable like 1lb per week, use a food scale to weigh your foods and log a couple of days of your normal eating, look back over your log and see where you are taking in the most unnecessary calories. Over a couple of weeks start making changes to bring you down to your calorie goal examples of this could be:
    • Drinking a lot of calorie laden drinks such as sugary coffees/soda - switch to diet versions, herbal tea, water
    • Eating larger than suggested portions (cereal, pasta, etc are typical examples) - reduce portion sizes gradually and weigh them out.
    • Where you use a lot of condiments such as butter, dressings, sauces - switch to lower calorie versions or reduce the size and weigh out.
    • If you fry a lot of food - switch cooking methods to grilling/baking/roasting or use a 1 cal spray in place of free pouring oil.
    • If you keep cutting all the things out that you're craving you may actually end up wanting them more, try fitting them into your calorie allowance but in smaller sizes through the week - chocolate used to be my biggest challenge, now I keep some small chocolate bars in the fridge (Dairy Milk 18g bars) or will have chocolate flavoured protein bar.

You can also try and increase your activity level to increase your calorie burn. This doesn't have to mean paying for a gym membership or buying equipment - it can be as easy as going out for a walk with your baby in the stroller or doing some bodyweight workouts, there are lots of free workout channels on Youtube.

Once you have gotten your calorie goal under control you can focus on making better nutritional choices.