TMI.....

Options
I hope I got your interest because I need help pls. Too much information, that is how I feel. I've successfully lost 75lbs, which I'm thrilled about however, I have 20 to go, for about a year now. I feel so overwhelmed. Like I forget how to lose weight. Do I need to count macros? So much talk about macro tracking. Then there is low carb, using tdee calories which are higher than MFP, I see people eating way more than me and they are tiny, they put like 5 bananas in a smoothie and I'm afraid to put in half. I'm feeling lost and need help please. Mostly the macros are on my mind, I really don't want to track them. What are your thoughts?!?! Ug. Seriously these 20 need to go!! #paralysisbyanalysis

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think I would use up half my days calories if I put five bananas in a smoothie.

You don't need to worry about macros or carbs. For weight loss calories are king.

If you want to count calories you are going to have to weigh and log your food. That is how MFP works. It will automatically give you your macro split at the same time but you don't have to pay attention to it.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you !! I should add that I've been using Mfp since 2014 and somehow stalled. At the same time I started looking at different methods ie macro tracking and I'm now lost.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Ha! You made it more complicated than it needs to be. Here in the land of plenty I think we can be paralyzed by choices.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since 2012 and I've been stalled for about 2 years now. So frustrating. I'm counting macros but I'm here to tell you it is no joke and if you're not fully committed to it or don't really want to do it, then I advise not to. Right now I'm debating eating 1 banana for breakfast because they're so high in carbs. I can't imagine 5!
  • carmy7850
    carmy7850 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dont fully understand macros or know the amts I should be eating. Is it just ok to let MFP dictate it? Down 24 since May 25th but I still need to lose 100.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... Macro, Keto.... blah! too much... I am making this more complicated then it needs to be and going to stick to what I know.... I don't want to focus 100% on macros so going to pretend I never came across the M word :smile:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When I was T2 diabetic and again when I went through the Bariatric program I learned to portion my meals with lots of veggies, a side of starchy carbs, and a portion of protein.

When I was on a medically supervised VLCD diet, it was critical to keep track of my protein. If I did not get enough, all sorts of bad things happen. And it takes weeks to show up (i.e. Thinning hair). I followed doctors orders and I was spared that fate.

So do I pay attention to the macros? Not really. I habitually eat a varied diet according to my training, and make sure I hit my minimums on protein. The rest? No matter.
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much at the same spot as you. I started at 215 in January of 2016 and am now 154. I need to lose the last 20 pounds too! 135 would be really fantastic! I feel great right now, have used basically high protein, low carb, fill in with fat, stay under 1400 cals/day, and a good 3X/week weight training program. Not really counting my macros in the formal sense, but definitely aware of what I am using.

I would love to lose most of the last bit by fall. I am still using the same type of diet, just a bit more relaxed some days. I have lost about 2-3 pounds a month for the last few months. It is slow going, but I think in the long run, my skin is thanking me. I lost most of my weight pretty fast and my chest looked AWFUL, but now that I have slowed down, the girls look much better. I am also still weight lifting, mostly powerlifting because I like it and I get the most bang for my time-buck with it.

I agree with the above, hit your protein, figure out your maintenance cals and then stay in a deficit, and move some heavy stuff.

....aaaand I don't eat bananas.... :wink:
  • leecha14
    leecha14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great advice!! I've just signed up for a bootcamp and also personal training to hold me more accountable. I work out at home and the gym but if I have a class or pay for a trainer, much better. I'm going to keep an eye on the macros mfp has set out and that's it. Some people are following it to the T and it's just not me. Congrats to everyone's success!! By October goal will be met !
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You need to decide. Doesn't matter so much what you decide.

Go to a good source on line, NIH, Mayo Clinic, and do a bit of research. Avoid mainstream media stories. Decide what you should do.

What I think you will find is a you need a food journal and a moderate calorie deficit. Oh, and some activity. Make a plan. After you have your plan decide on your test period, 2 or 3 months would be good. Now tune everything else out. Don't discuss your plan with family or friends, don't worry about what anyone else does. Don't change anything unless your Dr tells you to.

Discipline is founded on belief in your plan. A properly calculated modest calorie deficit over time will work. Nobody wants to allow for time.

Everybody thinks they are diet and fitness experts, including people who obviously have no experience at either. Diet/fitness stories are easy for the media. Usually misstate the findings of a medical journal on Monday, then misstate some other contradictory research on Thursday. Will dive you nuts. It's just noise. Fact that someone lost 40 lbs low carb in 3 months means nothing, check back in a year.

My experience- I lost 100 lbs, gone for years, not coming back. After I lost about 65 lbs, I became stuck at about 215. I thought I knew about losing. I had lost 65 lbs, trained hard, but I still had a roll of fat at my middle.

One day I realized that what I had learned getting 280 to 215 was useless info to go lower. In other words, I accepted that I knew nothing. Clueless. It was uncharted territory for me.

About that time I read that #1 WL tool was a food diary. I started one. Worked hard at the calculations and planning. It worked. Also I was able to tune out the noise and quit nagging myself. A relief. Sorry to ramble.

Oh, I follow a macro counting FB page. Not because I count macros or lift heavy but I find it inspiring. As a result I did start eating more protein and I seem less agitated and less interested in snacks.
    I wouldn't consider macros unless you lift heavy. My experience with low carb is its not sustainable.

Advice- start over like MFP day 1. Crunch the numbers and track carefully. Are your calculations and measuring spot on? Maybe cut 100 cals and see how it goes. Try to get a livable downward trend and ride it down. Be careful. The changes you make now will be with you a long time if you want to preserve your success. Still rambling. Weight loss saved my life, I get caught up.