Fasting Diets (thoughts?)

Options
2»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I did IF5:2 for several months when a crazy schedule made it really hard to have dinner at a sane hour two nights a week. It was such a relief not to worry about it! And I had awesome workouts on my low days. I always feel fine on low days. It's the day AFTER a low day that I might feel a little depleted. When my schedule returned to "normal" I went back to IF8:16 which is more comfortable for me.

As others have said, many people have success with IF5:2, and it is not disordered for them at all. Try it for a couple weeks to see how it fits you. It's really the only way to know. I think it is helpful to have an experimental attitude and to make your own observations. Best of luck, OP!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    @Dr_Girlfriend a 3000 calorie deficit is hardly extreme. It's less than a pound a week. And with regards to sedentary vs active, that's what the other 5 days are for. If a person is that concerned about their workouts, add 100 calories to the fast days, not a big deal. Doesn't matter what calorie restriction method one uses strength training and higher protein intake is always the recommendation to minimize muscle loss. 5:2 done properly isn't going to increase muscle loss more than other diets. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to still be effective.

I agree, I'm confused why a 3000+ deficit is being called extreme. A 1 lb a week rate of loss is perfectly acceptable for anyone who has more than 15 lbs total to lose at least.

And it doesn't recommend the same calories for everyone, because you eat at maintenance the other 5 days of the week, and maintenance is going to be different for everyone. Someone smaller with less weight to lose will be eating say 1900 cals on non-fast days, someone larger or more active could be eating 3,000 cals on non-fast days.

And lots of people look at their deficit for the week rather than daily anyway (eating very light during the week so they can eat out or have a couple of beers on the weekend). Maybe not quite so dramatically, but your body doesn't need a regimented amount of calories during each 24 hour period, as long as it's getting enough over time.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think the idea that a 3000 cal deficit is extreme is because usually when people talk about calorie deficits, they mean per day.

Totally curious guys, if you eat 1600 a day using IF, or 1600 a day not on an IF schedule, would there be any difference in weight-loss? I understand what IF is, but I'm not sure if would make much of a difference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the idea that a 3000 cal deficit is extreme is because usually when people talk about calorie deficits, they mean per day.

Totally curious guys, if you eat 1600 a day using IF, or 1600 a day not on an IF schedule, would there be any difference in weight-loss? I understand what IF is, but I'm not sure if would make much of a difference.

It's often discussed per week: 3500/week = 1 lb; 7000/week = 2 lb.

As for your question, if calories are the same it shouldn't matter, but here the question is overall weekly deficit doing a different sort of IF, 5:2.

The one guy seems to be saying that his maintenance is 3500, so 500 per day would be extreme for him, as he would have a daily deficit of 3000. That's probably true (although the idea that he would be passed out from one day at 500 makes no sense to me, I don't think it's that big a deal for a human to even not eat at all for a day, although I would not recommend it as a weight loss technique). The 500 is based on eating about 25% of maintenance. It's a 3000/week deficit in that case. If maintenance is 3500, then eating around 875 or so would be more reasonable (although depending on how much you have to lose a 6000/week deficit is not necessarily extreme anyway).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's called 5:2 and is a viable way of going about things...though I know I would fail miserably given my usual calorie requirements.

I would rethink exercising on 500 calorie days though and just take it easy on those days and exercise the other 5 days.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As above, if your calorie requirements are 3500+ calories per day then you'd probably not really have reason to IF because you can eat pretty freely as long as you're tracking.

A small not very active female can use 5:2 as a way to make their weekly calories work better for them.

It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy.

I personally also wouldn't workout on fasting days, or at the very least not do anything cardio heavy but others adapt just fine. I run fasted when I can be bothered to run so it's no different really.

I 16:8 currently. Gave 5:2 a bash a few years ago but very half heartedly. I wouldn't be averse to trying again at some point, particularly once I am very close to the last few vanity pounds, might be an easier way to manage my intake.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yes, you'd have a larger deficit because you're eating 1100 fewer calories twice a week. The idea is that you only eat lower on two days a week and that's where your weekly deficit comes from, the other days are maintenance.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Note that as written in the 5:2 Fast Diet book, for men the "fast" days are 600 cals not the 500 women are allocated.

I think that it's also sensible that when running 5:2 you monitor calories (at least some of the time) to ensure that you are neither overcompensating on your "fed" days and blowing your deficit out of the water, or indeed under eating.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Let's just start with the fact that it "recommends" 500 calories for everyone - regardless of age, height, activity, weight, medical concerns, etc... Such extreme restriction is simply unnecessary. For most people, fad diets will get cause them to lose lots of water weight, and encourage disordered eating.

There is nothing horribly restrictive about this. 500 calories one or two days a week while eating normally otherwise is a perfectly reasonable way to establish a calorie deficit. I personally prefer the approach of a true 24 hour fast one or two non-consecutive days each week, and eating normally, that is, at maintenance, the other days.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, you'd have a larger deficit because you're eating 1100 fewer calories twice a week. The idea is that you only eat lower on two days a week and that's where your weekly deficit comes from, the other days are maintenance.

Yes. Just to clarify, because I think some might be assuming IF means the eating window form of fasting and not understanding that 5:2 is a different method of IF:

5:2 is a kind of IF where you eat at maintenance (or whatever you want without tracking, if that works for you -- this is what my friend does when at maintenance) for 5 days per week, and then around 25% of maintenance calories (500 as an easy close-enough goal for many women) on 2 days. That means you get to eat 2000 on 5 days per week, even when dieting, have a 1500 cal deficit on 2 days, and -- in this hypothetical -- a weekly deficit of about 3000 calories (less than a lb a week, so not extreme). Some find it easier to just eat very light on two days and have much more flexibility on 5.

The eating window IF means you eat for a specific number of hours per day (18:6 is a common one), but within the window would eat your planned calories -- here let's say you aim for 1 lb/week loss so eat about 1500. You have the same deficit with or without IF, it's just a matter of when you eat the calories.

The people saying it's extreme are referring to the low days in a 5:2 plan, but over the course of the week it really is not at all. My only issue with 5:2 is that some do it incorrectly and eat, say, 1200 on the 5 days and 500 on the 2, and of course that's a terrible idea. OP doesn't seem to be doing that, and for some it's an easier way to lose and the low days aren't that much of a hardship.

Sorry to everyone who knows all this -- I could be wrong, but there seemed to be some confusion upthread.

Thanks for the explanation!
  • lizhitsthegym
    lizhitsthegym Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow this really took off!

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to give me advice and info! I really am a dieting rube so I'm glad there's a community to steer me clear of mistakes. I just got home from a cardio sesh and realized it put me at a calorie deficit today too (one of my non fast days) and thanks to y'all I know I need to heat up some chicken and bump up that cal intake!

You all are stars ✨ For those also on the 5:2 please feel free to friend me! I'd love to have some app friends who are on the same diet track :)