Low fat keto

Options
Anyone doing low fat high protein keto for fat loss?

Replies

• biejen
    biejen Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've got several friends who made drastic changes with keto, but I've never been able to consistently maintain ketosis levels. Still, aiming toward it has really helped me be more health conscious and revaluate my relationship with fats, carbs, and proteins, and had been a positive learning experience overall.

Are you trying it or mostly curious?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Phatcat313 wrote: »
    Anyone doing low fat high protein keto for fat loss?

No such thing as "low fat high protein Keto." The point of following a Keto way of eating is to get at least 60% (if not more! (60-80%!!)) of your daily calories from healthy sources of fat. That means you logically must limit your carbs, leaving protein at moderate levels. Too much protein is converted into glucose in your liver during a process called glucogenesis and as you should know by now, our bodies like to store excess glucose circulating in the blood as body fat. Eating lots of healthy fat tells your body to BURN fat, not store it whereas eating lots of carbs or protein at sufficiently high levels that glucogenesis occurs tells your body to STORE fat.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am doing a ketogenic diet that is low carb and fairly low fat, then higher protein. You do not need to eat higher fat to be in ketosis.
  • ddurdevic
    ddurdevic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm debby
  • eikles
    eikles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of fat. My very effective keto diet is basically a ton of low sugar vegetables, NO sugar or starch, some protein and several tablespoons of fat in the form of butter, olive oil etc. The fat is easy to take as you can put it in your salad dressing, or butter on your steamed veggies or steak, cream in coffee etc. Try it and I bet you will love the results. Watch Dr. Fung's youtube videos and check out www.dietdoctor.com if you want to hear what actual medical doctors say about this.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »
    I am doing a ketogenic diet that is low carb and fairly low fat, then higher protein. You do not need to eat higher fat to be in ketosis.

Never said you did. Even those who don't follow a low carb or Keto way of eating...their bodies get into a mild state of nutritional ketosis every night when they sleep. As far as being "fairly low fat"...what exactly does that mean? How many grams of fat do you eat every day and how much of your macro % does that equate to?

• AishaBraziel
    AishaBraziel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    biejen wrote: »
    I've got several friends who made drastic changes with keto, but I've never been able to consistently maintain ketosis levels. Still, aiming toward it has really helped me be more health conscious and revaluate my relationship with fats, carbs, and proteins, and had been a positive learning experience overall.

Are you trying it or mostly curious?

I'm doing it now and having great loss.
  • Motivated551
    Motivated551 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto Now. I'm on day 8 and I've lost 11lbs. They tell you not to limit your fat though because it actually helps you get into Ketosis. Definitely start.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    This is your 3rd post about the same subject
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Excess protein converts to glucose, which will prevent dietary ketosis. That doesn't mean you cannot lose weight with that diet; but if ketosis is your goal, then high protein is the wrong method.

That brings up the question: Why are you interested in keto and what do you hope to get from it? Is keto really the right method for your goals? If yes, then you need to primarily use fat for energy.

That doesn't automatically mean eating high fat if you are in a steep deficit and much of your energy is coming from body fat (rather than dietary fat). But if you are not in a steep deficit, then most of your intake will come from fat. In either case, you will need to avoid excessive protein intake if you want to remain in ketosis.
  • SteamEngine80
    SteamEngine80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the protein sparing modified fasting diet. People get really good results if they can tolerate it, but it's not a long term diet unless the dieter is morbidly obese. It's basically 1g protein per lb of bodyweight, nothing else, no carbs or fats other than some leefy greens, multivitamin and fish oil. Then I believe there is a cheat meal midweek, and one low fat, high carb cheat day at the end of the week. I thought about doing it, but decided to go the slower route of calorie counting. Getting too old to suffer that way!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the protein sparing modified fasting diet. People get really good results if they can tolerate it, but it's not a long term diet unless the dieter is morbidly obese. It's basically 1g protein per lb of bodyweight, nothing else, no carbs or fats other than some leefy greens, multivitamin and fish oil. Then I believe there is a cheat meal midweek, and one low fat, high carb cheat day at the end of the week. I thought about doing it, but decided to go the slower route of calorie counting. Getting too old to suffer that way!

Is it 1g / lb. of body weight or 1g/lb. of lean mass? The second would not be a high protein diet - 1g/lb. of lean mass is moderate. For an obese person, then 1g/lb. total body weight is high protein.

So basically, this diet forces a person to use glycogen and body fat to complement protein intake. The carb cheat day replenishes glycogen and probably adds some fat back again. For some, this could work. Personally, when I was very overweight, I could eat 10K-20K+ calories during a carb cheat day. For someone like me, that would not have worked.