Yikes constipation

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
So I've never been one to go number 2 once a day. Often I'd go every 4-6 days without any symptoms although I realize now that's considered chronic constipation. About 3 months ago I started on my weight loss journey and I'm doing well and losing right on target. I've also started to go at least every 3 days I assume from eating more fiber, healthy fat (on an avo kick) and watching that I drink enough.

The last few days I noticed my weight slowly creeping up and I realized it's been a while since I've gone. I feel rotten since yesterday, no appetite and severely backed up. I've taken a laxative now so hopefully this will be over soon, but I'm wondering how I could get this constipated when I never had any issues eating junk. Any advice to prevent future episodes. This is incredibly unpleasant and I'm not looking forward to the laxative kicking in. Anyone have any advice? Similar experience?

Replies

• brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? I found that when I incorporated a cup of coffee into my morning routine I went pretty soon there afterwards and felt pretty good and light the rest of the day. That and caffeine are the sole reasons I drink coffee since I'm not super fond of the taste.
  • me0231
    Options
    Hmm no, I've never been much of a coffee drinker but that's worth a shot a for sure. Would a little espresso be enough?
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try drinking warm water; it normally will help get things moving.
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    do you take a multivitamin? Iron can make you constipated. Also make sure you are still getting enough fiber.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I take magnesium at night to help me sleep. 250mg. I am now going daily. Using laxatives can make the body dependent on them. Regular, home made warm coffee will do just fine. Here is an article.
    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/03/25/magnesium-excels-against-constipation/
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Hmm no, I've never been much of a coffee drinker but that's worth a shot a for sure. Would a little espresso be enough?

It should. I feel like the same thing happens when I get a foo foo drink from Starbucks or Caribou.
  • me0231
    Options
    klappeh wrote: »
    do you take a multivitamin? Iron can make you constipated. Also make sure you are still getting enough fiber.

Not taking a multi or extra iron. I'll make sure to keep an eye on my fiber intake, although it isn't any different than the last 3 months.
    I take magnesium at night to help me sleep. 250mg. I am now going daily. Using laxatives can make the body dependent on them. Regular, home made warm coffee will do just fine. Here is an article.
    https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/03/25/magnesium-excels-against-constipation/

Well this is like the second time in my life I've resorted to a laxative. I don't think I'm in danger of being dependant on them.
    I do take magnesium as well for restless leg but I've been taking it for years and it's never made me go once a day.

It should. I feel like the same thing happens when I get a foo foo drink from Starbucks or Caribou.

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I went through this when i first started eating differently. I bought fiber and took that everyday. It helped (sorta).. but I actually realized I wasn't eating enough carbs. Everyone is different, but that is my personal experience. Don't know if it was the carbs that fixed me, but I surely started feeling 20x better after I added a few back into my diet.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Are you having lots of Dairy? Milk, yogurts, cheeses?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Easy. Eat WAY more fruits and vegetables. BOOM!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you need more fiber,water and fats then if you are having constipation issues. and if you continue having it see a dr.many health issues can cause constipation. some people dont go every day though. when I was younger I would go maybe 2x a week. had no health issues,was active back then and everything.
  • me0231
    Options
    I went through this when i first started eating differently. I bought fiber and took that everyday. It helped (sorta).. but I actually realized I wasn't eating enough carbs. Everyone is different, but that is my personal experience. Don't know if it was the carbs that fixed me, but I surely started feeling 20x better after I added a few back into my diet.

Thanks for your input, I'm not low carbing at all, so that should be ok.
    Are you having lots of Dairy? Milk, yogurts, cheeses?

Not really no. I eat some hard cheeses, little bit of milk in my tea and some butter or sour cream for cooking. I don't like it very much to be honest.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Depending on the diet you may have a lack of the things your gut / bowels depend on to move.

Fiber, pro-biotics, "resistant starch", all work to make the environment more hospitable to peristalsis.

There are different kinds of fiber and some work well some people and others don't work at all. Things like psyllium seed husk powder and rice bran powder add bulk and keep liquid in the stool and seem to work well for me, they are gluten free, and, nonreactive.

Liquid pro-biotics that are kept in the store fridge, like American Health's liquid lactobacillus acidophilus; fermented foods like kimchi and miso paste (Asian grocery or health food store) ensure that things are digested and broken down.

Resistant starch (all the rage right now) in the form of potato starch adds no carbs and feeds the pro-biotics in the stool. The jury is still out on if it will work for me.

Last but not least melatonin powder will make your bowels move when other things don't. (It works, but, for me it's hit or miss.)

Also, severe constipation is often a sign of hypothyroidism...

Other things not mentioned above - colonics will definitely remove impacted waste but isn't for the squeamish and both sugarless gummies or salt tablets and about 1 quart of water can assist with pooping - but is not for regular use, but, if you are backed up, these will clear you out.

Drink a lot more water and find ways to continue to add bulk to your water with every meal until things start to move.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks sunna, awesome post. My thyroid was normal just a couple of months ago but I'll look into the rest of things you mentioned. Great resource
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue (with similar issues as yours) is that i was focused on fibre. It wasn't until i posted here that i was reminded that you also have to make sure you are eating enough fat. As it was so hilariously put, "you have to grease the traps."

Greasing the traps (love this expression) and ensuring I drink plenty of liquid works wonders for me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Magnesium oxide worked (the cheaper one). Magnesium Citrate did nothing. Some pills like Restavin for restles leg contain citrate.
  • me0231
    Options
    Magnesium oxide worked (the cheaper one). Magnesium Citrate did nothing. Some pills like Restavin for restles leg contain citrate.

Thanks! I just checked it's 300mg of magnesium oxide that I take
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Thanks, I was just going to post this and you bet me to it :)

While it didn't turn out to be a solution for the OP, it might help someone else.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I think the coffee thing works for about 25% of people. I tried magnesium too, which I need anyway. I never had these problems until menopause, and I drink lots of water and eat tons of veg... anyway what I ended up with is a stool softener the drug name of which is docusate sodium. Dulcolax is one brand. I get the cheaper Walgreens one. It works without being violent on your system. Senna makes me pukey so I avoid that. If things need a little more motivation I make up a glass of warm water with lemon juice and a packet of sweetener and glug that down also.