What do you consider low carb?

Options
Like how many grams per day would be low carb??

Replies

• chrissys74
    chrissys74 Posts: 31
    Options
    Anyone??? :)
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I personally eat no more than 30 carbs at any meal. My max is about 120 a day and I'm on the Link and Balance diet.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    50-100 grams. Extremly low would be 0-50 grams.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Generally, under 100g carb a day is low. Your brain needs that many to function on sugar. If you exercise, you might want an additional 100g to fuel your muscles on those days. If you consume less than 100g, your body will run on fat, which is more difficult, thus forcing your body to work harder at making glycogen to fuel itself. Both methods work just fine, but the best is when your body can do both, and switch between them as needed.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    under 100
  • Nascargirl31
    Options
    My PA recommends 45 carbs per meal so that is 135 daily.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I max out at 10 g per meal and no more than 5 g per snack, I weigh about 138#.

DH maxes out at about 50-75 per day, he weighs about 175#.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    50 to 70 is always a good kickstart for me...then under 90. Ketosis sets in around 30 so always go slughtly above
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Generally, under 100g carb a day is low. Your brain needs that many to function on sugar. If you exercise, you might want an additional 100g to fuel your muscles on those days. If you consume less than 100g, your body will run on fat, which is more difficult, thus forcing your body to work harder at making glycogen to fuel itself. Both methods work just fine, but the best is when your body can do both, and switch between them as needed.

Thanks for this! I have always wondered and you just answered all of my questions so succinctly!
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    All depends on body weight too eh
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you all!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    100 or less for sure
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am going for ketosis. I've been averaging about 50 or 60 a day or about 40 with fiber added in and about 100-140 grams of protein a day.

yesterday I had 59 grams of carbs withonly 9 grams of fiber and a lower amount of protein than normal 90, I remained in ketosis.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Under 50 NET. But I am doing ketogenic on purpose, and I test. Once things stabilize, I'll add until I reach the point where I leave ketosis. Then I'll cut back five grams. Ketosis for me = very few migraines.
  • chrissys74
    Options
    Is ketosis safe??
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    30 a day or less for me is low carb...I get them all I fruits and veggies
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Is ketosis safe??

Mostly yes, for most people it's completely safe. I test with strips both for glucose and ketones (not because I am at risk but because I am neurotic :) ) . From what i understand the danger comes in if the glucose is ever readable on the test strips. it's mostly a danger for diabetics. Mostly type one diabetics sometimes type two and alcoholics, Very very rarely general people. (ketoacidosis) I think also if you have kidney problems other problems can arise from this diet, but studies at this point do not point to this diet harming your kidneys if they are in good condition.

I think if you're diabetic or alcoholic or have kidney problems, you want to be going to a doctor regularly to keep tabs on what you're doing. (but you're probably already regularly visiting your gp if this is the case)

you also need to make sure you really up the water intake to flush your kidneys. (everyone)

but yeah, for the average person it's totally safe.

(and I am a neophyte, I am sure if I've gotten anything majorly incorrect someone will correct me :) )
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is ketosis safe??
    Nutritional ketosis is safe, levels of ketones in the blood are less than 5 mmol/l typically and blood glucose is low.

Not to be confused with diabetic keto acidosis where ketones and blood glucose are much higher (like 3 times higher) and blood pH falls from its usual setpoint.

Ketosis of fasting is what happens every night.
  • natwallace94
    natwallace94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low carb diet.
    To get your body into the state of ketosis, between 50-75 grams is a good starting point.
    I started off with my max. carb intake 100 grams and min. 50 grams.
    Eating under 50 grams of carbs per day WILL help you lose weight heaps!

It is better to measure yourself than weigh yourself if you're doing this diet.

Also, I eat basically

Eggs, (scrambled, boiled, poached, however)
    Meat (Bacon, beef, pork)
    Chicken
    Fish
    Cheese!

And low carb products like Atkins bars etc.
    I sometimes have a snack of a slice of wholemeal toast with 50% less sugar strawberry jam. But i keep count on myfitnesspal log.

Hope this helps :)