Which calories should I trust?

Options
My elliptical and MFP normally give me very different calories burned readings. The elliptical is normally about 100-200 calories less than what my elliptical
says. I don't have a hem because I'm broke. So which should I trust?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I always go with the lower. Unless you're losing weight too rapidly, then go with the higher. Or average the two.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM, I put the exercise into MFP and manually overrode the calories to be half what MFP estimated. Then I ate most of those back.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Neither. I have found MFP as well as fitness devices both universally overstimate calories burned via exercise.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This calculator has actually lined up with my HRM less RMR calories for cycling.

Want to pay attention to calories burned by exercise.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Choose the lower one and still avoid eating all of the calories back - 50% would be a good number to ensure you're not overeating or overestimating expenditure.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So, I would pick one way of estimation and use that one consistently. Start by eating back maybe 50% of the calories it estimates. If losing too quickly, eat back more.

Even HRM are not 100% accurate
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Neither. I have found MFP as well as fitness devices both universally overstimate calories burned via exercise.

Universally? No. Commonly? Sure.