looking for low cal veggie dishes and salads

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
A little background: I'm short and 48 years old and hypothyroid so I only get 1200 cals. This has led me to the repetition of garden salads with low cal dressing and bowls of plain old green beans with salt because I'm not terribly creative. It's starting to make me really crabby.

So I could use some new ideas. Anybody have good veggie dishes or salad combinations they would like to share?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    roasted broccoli, squash, brussels sprouts, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, or whatever veggie you liked finished with a balsamic reduction is my favorite way to eat veggies. I love roasted okra because it gets crunchy!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get bored with regular garden salads. I love the pre-made slaw mix I get at the store. It's a mix of green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots. 85 grams (about a cup and a half) is only 25 calories. It's very filling to me and the texture and flavor make it a nice change of pace. It also holds up well to being mixed with hot foods (like stew) to add more volume.

Roasting any vegetable makes it tastier to me. My favorites to roast are brussels sprouts, broccoli, kohlrabi, beets, and bell peppers.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Caramelized veggies. Soo good
  • gothchiq
    Options
    How do I caramelize them? Oven, or very hot skillet, or?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    How do I caramelize them? Oven, or very hot skillet, or?

I use a very hot skillet.... Then I turn them down when they start cooking.

Good for onions and peppers. Haven't tried other veggies.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Okay, thank you! Maybe even though I'm not vegetarian, I should still invest in a vegetarian cookbook just to get more variety in. You know, before I go mad and start trying to eat my couch cushions with sugar free chocolate sauce.... lol
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am planning to have a salad with romaine lettuce, Italian blend shredded cheese (not sure if you do dairy or not), black beans, and green goddess dressing. Haven't tried this salad combo yet but sounds like a lot of flavor
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Also, stir fry with chickpeas, sugar snap peas, and bell pepper, with some fresh squeezed OJ mixed in with the soy sauce makes for a good flavor combo with a good amount of protein
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Yes I eat everything except shrimp or shellfish which I am allergic to, and things with propylene glycol as an additive (also allergic.) all food groups are acceptable.
  • Crazypotato982gtu
    Crazypotato982gtu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got myself a spiralizer and now make zucchini pasta, spiralized potatoes, and all kinds of tasty things with it and there are tons of spiralized veggie recipes online. Also I learned online how to make fabulously delicious sauces from cauliflower and how to make some very satisfying veggie soups. Google any of the above and you will enjoy some good eats!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been sort of obsessed with cucumber salads lately. Delicious, refreshing, versatile, and quite filling considering how low in calories it is!

Pretty much my only constant ingredients are cucumber, onion, and some kind of vinegar. Everything else depends on what I'm in the mood for!
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I think our spiralizer is kinda cheap. In no way can it handle potatoes. I guess it needs to be all metal and have a handle or something. Zucchini is it for ours.