256 pounds and troubled

Options
Anyone have any advice, or thought processes to keeping consestant with your diet and weight goal?

Replies

• whineryjnw
    whineryjnw Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yea I have a hereditary cholesterol problem and it's all over the place. My oldest daughter will be 5 this year and I have another girl on the way next month. I want to be around long enough for my wife and children but this food addiction has more control of my life then I thought. As a man I personally think my job is to protect , provide and take care of my girls, hopefully a son one day God permitting
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    That's awesome thanks man
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    It's easiest when you find stuff you enjoy. Rebecca's advice is also good, start small and go from there. My start was portion management, they were way out of whack. Once I got the hang of that I started focusing on making each meal more balanced. Breakfast for example is half a bagel with a tbsp of peanut butter, half a cup of greek yogurt and a cup or two of fruit. 490ish calories, easy. Another is not to deprive yourself if doing so is hard. A lot of people will pick one day a week to have a treat or a cheat day, and that's perfectly fine. I know myself well enough to know that would never work for me, so I work it into my daily calorie goal. Understand that you may have days where it's not so easy, and that's okay - they'll pass. And like markswife said, you are worthy. Think of it as self-love.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I struggle every day but am on Day 3. A good positive attitude. You can write out the reasons why you want to lose weight and reread them every day. Lots of water. Hugs
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    That's awesome advice thanks guys, should have thought of that myself, several brains are better then one.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    that's the great thing about being here - you can always find some help and support.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's easiest when you find stuff you enjoy. Rebecca's advice is also good, start small and go from there. My start was portion management, they were way out of whack. Once I got the hang of that I started focusing on making each meal more balanced. Breakfast for example is half a bagel with a tbsp of peanut butter, half a cup of greek yogurt and a cup or two of fruit. 490ish calories, easy. Another is not to deprive yourself if doing so is hard. A lot of people will pick one day a week to have a treat or a cheat day, and that's perfectly fine. I know myself well enough to know that would never work for me, so I work it into my daily calorie goal. Understand that you may have days where it's not so easy, and that's okay - they'll pass. And like markswife said, you are worthy. Think of it as self-love.

I have a decadent treat just about every day but leave it at that. For example, the other day I had 3 pieces of pizza. A friend then told me on the way home he was stopping at McD's for a milkshake. I decided not to get any ice cream. And it wasn't hard to say no because I had already had my treat! and I had ice cream the day before that haha. Those decadent treats are important!!! There are also treats like guacamole (I have it with celery), feta cheese and craisins on my salad, etc that are just part of using my calories to eat things I like!!!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Be flexible and dont beat yourself up if your day wasn't perfect. Last night was crazy and life got in the way, and even though I planned on my dinner being chicken veggies and salad, it wound up being a slice of pizza. I didnt go crazy, I actually only had half, and today im right back on track, but the other great thing is, I could have easily fit pizza into my day had I not eaten out earlier in the day.

Dont do anything that is making you feel deprived, I started simply by not drinking my calories, one day I woke up and stopped drinking soda and juice, and from there I continued to make changes.
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    Thanks all
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Something important for me to help me keep going is simply taking note of the things that are bothering me, like back pains or not being able to sleep on my side, or struggling to reach an itch... and realising as I progress that these things are getting better.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Exercise hard enough, often enough and it can make up for a bad food choice or two.
  • Ismoniak
    Ismoniak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. My first step was the food diary. Once I saw how much I was consuming, I could make better food choices. I can still eat "the good stuff" and eat healthy too. It's just a matter of balancing it all out and the food diary has really helped me with that.

Then exercise. Find what you like to do. I have an elliptical at my home, if I want to be successful with it, I found I needed to occupy my mind, so I would play an episode of Game of Thrones and it would keep my mind from wandering and becoming bored with the activity. Same for rowing, I keep it outside, and row while looking out at the trees and scenery. Kind of like playing pretend. I don't like to go to gyms, but I also live out in the desert and it's a very long drive to the closest one, so I make do with what I have. Bike rides, yoga, walks with the dogs, whatever keeps my interest. And I love to lift weights. I've become passionate about that. I'm stronger than I ever was, I know I can be even stronger if I keep going. I have to keep a schedule for my workouts or I forget and put it off. Don't let yourself do that.

Reward yourself. Set mini-goals to work towards so you don't get overwhelmed or discouraged. When you hit that goal, you get a reward. Make it something that you normally wouldn't do for yourself. I get a pedicure (something I've never had) and a pair of heels for my most recent success. I tend to wear flip flops or athletic shoes almost all of the time, so it's a big deal for me.

You can do things for other people, but deep down, you have to do it for yourself. It took me a long time to understand that, and I'm also finally coming around to where I like myself again, and it feels very good.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was your exact weight a few months ago. I'm down to 218 today and even though that's still overweight... I have to tell you... It feels a WHOLE lot better. I have a few bits of advice.
    1. You may have heard that weight loss is not linear. that means that the scale isn't always going to go down. sometimes for days or weeks, no matter what you're doing. DON'T give up. that happens to EVERYONE and just be patient. My weight loss chart goes up and down (mostly down) and sometimes it makes no sense, and I can't eat much.
    2. If you get a craving and you're out of calories for the day, tell yourself that you can have it in the morning. then go to sleep. You'll probably wake up and forget about it, or, you'll wake up still wanting it and now you can allow it in your day.
    3. Set small, attainable goals that don't seem too overwhelming
    4. Find other things to do when you want to turn to food out of habit.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    To go along with what other posters have been saying, try to learn how to step back and view the whole process on a larger scale. People tend to focus too much on the little things and they let one bad choice completely derail their progress, which is so dumb. As long as your overall trend line moves towards weight loss and healthier choices, you're on the right track.