True or Woo?

Options
oolou
oolou Posts: 765 Member
Losing weight very fast is not the same thins as losing fat. In order to lose fat, a reasonable deficit (which WILL seem to take more time) is a better solution. The body can only burn so much fat per day; after that any loss that you see will likely be muscle (after water weight). If you keep too steep of a deficit, you will lose muscle all over your body to include critical organs like your heart. If you keep it up for too long, you can do serious damage.

Just read this in a different thread and wondered if it's true (or woo). I read so many things here from different folk (all whom I know are trying to help and which I appreciate!) but sometimes I think ... hmm. Can the body only burn so much fat each day? And if so ... how much?

Thx!

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes it's true. I think the number is something like 31 calories per pound of weight. But that's also why those who weigh more can lose at higher rates.

Is that per week?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here is a non-woo explanation of fat loss but it does not address your question.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2376744/#!po=45.8333

I had to add google scholar to my search terms to find anything approaching sensible.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do not think your body will readily cannibalize critical organs if there are fat stores available. That strikes me as preposterous.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I do not think your body will readily cannibalize critical organs if there are fat stores available. That strikes me as preposterous.

I agree, though this "fat loss limit per day" topic is new to me. It's an interesting topic and I'm totally willing to be wrong, though.

I mean... I can see how... say... working out for like 7 hours isn't going to burn more fat because you have muscle, water, etc. But at the same time, we look at *real* starvation situations and while there is virtually no muscle, there is equally low fat. But there are definitely organs left. It would seem more reasonable to think "there is a point where your body is burning more water and muscle than fat". But an actual fat loss limit??
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My basic education and consults with nutritionists are this: in order to lose weight you must eat less calories than you burn (ok that's the basic), don't eat less than 1200 calories on a regular basis because the human body needs this to survive and function, now for macros if you are trying to lose fat (not muscle) then make sure you are eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, otherwise yes some of that weight loss will be muscle and not fat. Also if you cut back on carbs and see a dramatic weight loss that is more likely due to water weight than fat loss. It's not recommended to attempt to lose more than 2 lbs of weight per week, your body needs more calories the more active you are. So that means if you average a 1,000+ calorie deficit per day then you most likely will need to increase the calories you are consuming so that you can sustain you energy levels for your daily activities. From my research and educational background if you follow the basics above you'll be ok.

Not sure that it really answer the question you asked and honestly I'm not sure I completely understand the original post that you quoted. I would need more specifics from that poster: what do they mean by "a reasonable deficit"?

Check out the book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I agree, though this "fat loss limit per day" topic is new to me. It's an interesting topic and I'm totally willing to be wrong, though.

I mean... I can see how... say... working out for like 7 hours isn't going to burn more fat because you have muscle, water, etc. But at the same time, we look at *real* starvation situations and while there is virtually no muscle, there is equally low fat. But there are definitely organs left. It would seem more reasonable to think "there is a point where your body is burning more water and muscle than fat". But an actual fat loss limit??

What real starvation situations are you looking at? When people die from starvation it's usually organ failure. A female at a clinic I was at had kidney failure and heart failure from eating to little.

Because of a "fat burning time limit"? Preposterous. That's what the OP is about. Some sort of arbitrary "fat burn cut off" where fat would be left alone, but muscles and organs burned first?? No.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Not first but the body does not burn just fat it also burns muscle when you are in a deficit and many factors determine how much muscle is burned.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Who's able to even go at a 31 calorie/pound per day deficit. Holy cow. I'd need to burn 7,800 calories to just eat 1,000 calories. Wonder how 3 days of that must feel haha
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Who's able to even go at a 31 calorie/pound per day deficit. Holy cow. I'd need to burn 7,800 calories to just eat 1,000 calories. Wonder how 3 days of that must feel haha

Lol. It's (supposedly) 31 calories per pound of body fat. For a 140 lb woman at 25% bf that's a 1085 deficit, which is stupidly steep, likely 40%+ of her TDEE. Even if the 31 calorie number is true, it's not reasonably sustainable for an extended period of time for many people.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Lol. It's (supposedly) 31 calories per pound of body fat. For a 140 lb woman at 25% bf that's a 1085 deficit, which is stupidly steep, likely 40%+ of her TDEE. Even if the 31 calorie number is true, it's not reasonably sustainable for an extended period of time for many people.

Ohhh hahaha I see.

But there is a drug that anecdotally allows people to lose up to a pound of body fat a day, albeit with the possibility of death, but if your body is able to metabolize that much fat, then it must be possible on your own as well. The guys I've seen talk about it did not have much body fat to begin with, so they definitely were burning more than 31 calories per pound of fat.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Ohhh hahaha I see.

But there is a drug that anecdotally allows people to lose up to a pound of body fat a day, albeit with the possibility of death, but if your body is able to metabolize that much fat, then it must be possible on your own as well. The guys I've seen talk about it did not have much body fat to begin with, so they definitely were burning more than 31 calories per pound of fat.

How do you know they were?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Ohhh hahaha I see.

Really not a good idea to make conclusions based on anecdotes.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

What real starvation situations are you looking at? When people die from starvation it's usually organ failure. A female at a clinic I was at had kidney failure and heart failure from eating to little.

Because of a "fat burning time limit"? Preposterous. That's what the OP is about. Some sort of arbitrary "fat burn cut off" where fat would be left alone, but muscles and organs burned first?? No.

No. Just that the body doesn't ONLY burn fat for energy. It also uses muscle, and the heart in particular is made of muscle. If you were able to do internal medical testing on those starving people who LOOK emaciated you'd find that their internal organs are also suffering. Most anorexic die of heart failure.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Ohhh hahaha I see.

Are we talking about the drug that causes people to cook to death? Rather be fat, thanks.

Haha yeah I agree, I'm just saying, if it's possible to metabolize that much fat in a day, then the 31 calorie thing seems not high enough