Increase calories from exercise dilemma

Options
Why is it that we get an extra (X amount) of additional calories when we burn off calories from exercise, yet the amount of individual nutrients stays the same. No addition of those. How am I supposed to eat another 1300 calories with ZERO fat, sugar, protein, fats, sodium, etc??? Am I reading it wrong?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only one of those that should NOT be changing with exercise calories is sodium, as that's a constant number given to everyone. But yeah, you should be seeing the rest of them go up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Your daily calories are a limit (try not to go over), your protein is a goal (try not to go under, it's ok to go over), and carbs can be a limit for some people with medical issues or who have trouble with them.

When you exercise you burn calories and should replenish them, but different kinds of exercise can create different nutritional needs. Runners and cyclists don't need a much protein as lifters, but need more carbs. Probably MFP doesn't update your macro numbers because it's a can of worms. User your best judgement on how to use your exercise calories and you'll be fine.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think of calories as a maximum and macronutrients as MINIMUMS. I only track fiber, fat and protein, and more of any of those is better!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why is it that we get an extra (X amount) of additional calories when we burn off calories from exercise, yet the amount of individual nutrients stays the same. No addition of those. How am I supposed to eat another 1300 calories with ZERO fat, sugar, protein, fats, sodium, etc??? Am I reading it wrong?

I'm not sure what's happening in your diary but mine adjust with activity. Carbs, fats and protein all go up with exercise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I'm not sure what's happening in your diary but mine adjust with activity. Carbs, fats and protein all go up with exercise.

Yep, mine does too.