Star Wars Half Marathon

Options
Anyone doing the Star Wars Half Marathon either in January (California) or April (Florida)? I just enrolled to the one in April (The dark side half marathon). If you are doing the race please add me and let's motivate each other and share virtual tips. This will be my first half. I have a couple 5Ks in between and my first 10K in October, so I should have plenty of time to train. Right now I have problems with my back, but the doctor told me that I should start lightly again in 7 to 10 days.

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    This sounds cool!! Going to look into it. Are you using a specific training schedule?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds super cool. The only thing that I don't like too much is that Disney is going to have Phasma leading the troops, come on now Disney, you have Darth Vader yet you put Phasma :| . As for the training, I think that I'm comfortable running a 5K (at least I was before my back injury), so once I resume running I will just improve my 5K time, and then jump into the 10K training app by Zen Labs. I have a 10K in October, so I should have plenty of time to train for the half till April, how about you?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    LOL well it kinda makes sense that she would be leading the storm troopers in this training mission... but I'm sure that Darth Vader will make an appearance (or I would hope so).

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, I have ran a few 5Ks successfully, I took a lot of time off from running unfortunately so I am getting back my stride recently. I live in Florida at the moment, so it's pretty perfect timing...however the humidity and the mosquitos are truly messing with my mojo. Is your 10K in FL too? I have never used a training app, will see if the Zen Labs does it for me :) thanks for the tip!
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Cool, not a problem. I live in Indiana, and my 10K will be here in Indiana. I just saw that half marathon and seemed like a cool idea. Yeah mosquitos and humidity suck, good luck in your training
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Cool, not a problem. I live in Indiana, and my 10K will be here in Indiana. I just saw that half marathon and seemed like a cool idea. Yeah mosquitos and humidity suck, good luck in your training

Thanks you too! I would love to have someone that's training for the same thing as me, if you want to keep in touch. Do you know what your 5k time was before the back injury?
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    I was close to 27 minutes, how about you?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    I was close to 27 minutes, how about you?

Wow! That's incredible, are you a male or female? My best was around 35 min, and I am female. I definitely had room to improve!
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    I'm a male and I also have room for improvement lol. I'm happy with my current time though. I just enjoy running and the freedom that running provides. How many miles per week do you run?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Well I only just got back into it in the last month or so...so it's a combo of walking and running. I get any where between 10-14 miles a week total, and about 1/3 of it is actual running. I'm doing a strength program right now too so I'm splitting my energy between the two.

Unfortunately it's anywhere between 90-100 degrees here by 8 am with nearly 100% humidity and one of my dogs isn't quite able to run for more than half a mile at a time, so the few precious hours at 80 and below are spent hiking with them, but we are working on his endurance along with mine at the same time. But even then the "real feel" is over 100, it's just ridiculous!

I know what you mean about the freedom, it's such a special feeling.. they are not lying about the runners high.

It must be driving you crazy not being able to run right now, can you swim or bike or anything?
  • ABabilonia
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oh yeah, I lived in Florida in the past and the humidity is terrible some days. Right now I'm not doing anything because of the pain, but hopefully next week I'll start some light swimming and walking before resuming running. 10-14 miles a week is really good, that was my mark before the injury, do you have any races planned for the year? Do you use any running app lije Strava? Are Wick and Artoo the names of your dogs? Lol, sorry, too many questions at once.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I won't be doing it this year, as I'm still working on meeting the goal of a monthly 5K, but I do plan on training for that when my littlest is old enough to take to Disney. It's going to be a few years. For now we do any Star Wars 5K possible. There are a lot of Star Wars themed virtual 5Ks out there. Right now we are finishing the Jedi training series with Full Medal Runs. I can only walk as fast as possible due to severe OA but we are having a blast as a family. Enjoy and good luck!
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Thanks. I think they also have a 5K as part of this series. Good luck in your training.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »
    I won't be doing it this year, as I'm still working on meeting the goal of a monthly 5K, but I do plan on training for that when my littlest is old enough to take to Disney. It's going to be a few years. For now we do any Star Wars 5K possible. There are a lot of Star Wars themed virtual 5Ks out there. Right now we are finishing the Jedi training series with Full Medal Runs. I can only walk as fast as possible due to severe OA but we are having a blast as a family. Enjoy and good luck!

That's the second time I have heard of virtual races, that actually sounds really fun!!! This thread is opening my eyes to so many cool apps.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Oh yeah, I lived in Florida in the past and the humidity is terrible some days. Right now I'm not doing anything because of the pain, but hopefully next week I'll start some light swimming and walking before resuming running. 10-14 miles a week is really good, that was my mark before the injury, do you have any races planned for the year? Do you use any running app lije Strava? Are Wick and Artoo the names of your dogs? Lol, sorry, too many questions at once.

Oh wow you did?!? That's crazy! Small world, then you know the sweat life, oops I mean the salt life :wink:

That sounds terrible, I hope your recovery goes as planned, how did you injure it?

That makes me feel much better about the mileage! Granted I'm not sure if I could ever run a 5K in 27, that is seriously good time!! but I at least know I could run 14 miles a week, once I can transition Wick into a runner (so yes Wick and Artoo are my dogs, Star Wars names no less!).

I use map my run, I have never heard of Strava. And I am having race sign up commitment issues, but if I sign up for the half, I'll need to train so it would be perfect. Did you pre register for all of your races? Do you have anyone that you run with locally? I tried to look into local running clubs, but it didn't seem very promising.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Cool names. Yeah, I live in Fort Lauderdale for six months before moving to Chicago, FL is a beautiful place, but crazy in summer. I use MapMyRun too. I also have Strava installed, but I like MMR better. I injured my back doing kettlebells. I signed for a couple local 5Ks and a local 10K in October, so the Star Wars Half will be my first half. I run my races alone lol, I tried a running club too, but that was not very promising either. Do you have anyone that you run with locally? For the most part I run alone, but sometimes I run with some friends. I run with my manager during lunch at least once a week.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Ugh, that is such a bummer, I am sorry. Nothing is as frustrating as trying to get fit and injuring oneself, I was rolling up my yoga mat a few weeks ago and fell into a coffee table and cut up both my hands on the glass-and had to go to the emergency room haha, so I (kinda) understand.

Yes the the summers here are actually quite terrifying! I used to love thunderstorms, now I just pray I don't die :neutral:

No running buddies here, that's awesome you run with your manager! Does he/she race too? I used to run with my husband, but his knees are in rough shape so he has had to stop. I had a friend when we lived in GA and she and I ran races together, definitely miss having her around, turns out is hard to find people that like to run.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I actually thinking about moving to Chicago (the city) because they have a lot of running clubs there. Do you like yoga too? I used to practice hot yoga in the past. Hope you are better from your cuts.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I actually thinking about moving to Chicago (the city) because they have a lot of running clubs there. Do you like yoga too? I used to practice hot yoga in the past. Hope you are better from your cuts.

Thanks, they did heal up, I have one really ugly scar... but oh well.

It's definitely motivating to have other people that get excited about the same sport, do you live far out of the city? It would be nice to be able to trial run the clubs first to see if you like the people before committing. It's such a catch 22, cities have everything thing you want, but the driving is insane and it's so crowded and sometimes you are far away from greenspace.

I used to do hot yoga, so many years ago! I loved it, I love regular yoga too... recently we have been doing the yoga retreat course that's on beachbody on demand. It's hard because we travel for work and most of the places we go don't have the same gyms, so having a membership is a pain, we have to cancel and start a new one every time, so yoga and workouts are easier to do at home, but far less exciting. Do you not have hot yoga where you are now?
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Yeah, I have yoga studios around here, but I also do yoga with Adrienne from YouTube, she is an amazing instructor. Do you travel to different countries? That sounds like an exciting job. I agree about the city life, but cities also have more variety. Do you live close to Miami?
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Yeah, I have yoga studios around here, but I also do yoga with Adrienne from YouTube, she is an amazing instructor. Do you travel to different countries? That sounds like an exciting job. I agree about the city life, but cities also have more variety. Do you live close to Miami?

No just different states, though sometimes they are so different if feels like different countries haha. I'll have to look her up, it's hard to find good yoga instructors, sometimes they can be annoying.