Pre Menopause and Menopause struggles

Options

Replies

• 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Forget to mention, check your Vitamin D, that is really important.

thank you - just had checked last month and mine is fine, but i am on 5000iU/day supplement. good advice!!
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that helped me was stopping dairy - the hot flashes stopped.

wow did not know this one. TFS!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll be 46 this August. What are the signs of pre-menopause?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    This is SOOOO worth repeating. I've been peri-menopause for the past year. Weightloss is SLOOOW and I often have to constantly adjust what I eat and how much based more on how I feel then my desire to lose weight. Case in point. for the last few weeks, I'm been dealing with some serious fatigue issues. Made it hard to workout consistently and when I'm not working out... I seem to have less will power to avoid over snacking. After looking through my reports, I realized my iron was running low... so I spent this week on a steak and egg diet. Not only to a feel better and more back to normal... I actually managed to drop a whole pound this week (my average since April has been closer to .2 to .5 lbs per week).

Over the past 3 months, I've only lost 5lbs. But I didn't let the frustration make me give up, rather I kept at it and I'm now 5lbs lighter for it.
    I think the key points to get from above are, listen to your body, LOG everything regardless, that info can become priceless :)

For me, I started at 44, lost weight (not sure if is was hard or not, though I did have some days when I cried, etc) and gained some back. Now at 48 (49 in August) I have learned that the body changes, usually not is a good way and we may have to adjust our goals. For me, the weight needs to not matter as much as how fit I am, I know I am good when I am keeping up with my strength workouts, I see the most results from not a great deal of work (as opposed to cardio - time wise that is) and I feel better. I know you have a ideal number of pounds you want to lose but gaining muscle will offset that and could be better in the long run so work with measurements and the scale.

You may need to try different methods to find the one that will work for you and with what your body is going through at this time.

Right now I am taking iron with a side of prunes and I just started with the mini-pill to try and regulate things . . . lots of trial and errors on this journey.

• seccotine
    seccotine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started an early menopause at 31 and it was fully completed at 36 (no medical explanation). Since then, except for 2 years, I have been on hormone Replacement Therapy (the European, breast friendly kind!). At age 53, I was taken off HRT for those above mentioned 2 years by an over-careful doctor. Back on it, now I am 61.
    The number one problem with menopause must be the hot flashes. When you get them regularly, they wake you up at night and you are always so tired that you eat for energy. Without HRT, I get something like 12 per night, meaning that I do not have more than 30 min of uninterrupted sleep. Total killer. Forget about trying to loose weight, maintaining is already enough of a struggle. I also notice during those horrible 2 years that my body started changing with my waist expanding to go from a figure 8 to an 0 shape. You pack the pounds on your belly. and of course the lack of sleep also induces mood swings. After I was back to sleeping normally, I lost the extra weight (OK had only 20 pounds to loose), had enough energy to exercise and got my figure back.
  • schaferelsa
    schaferelsa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Struggling with menopause! Going plant based in hopes to avoid hormones..looking for friends and support going through this ! Thanks.
  • Wotan48
    Wotan48 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm 48 and been thru menopause already and come out the other side. I take HRT so I don't have to deal with horrible hot flashes, insomnia, and the rest of the mess.

HRT not work I g for me as well as it should, have to take progesterone or should, do to a history of cancer. Stupid pills make everything worse, did make my hot flashes better...
  • tiasommer
    tiasommer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just was recommended to check out this link. So glad I did! I thought I was going crazy! I'm not alone. I'm 38 - early peri-menopause. I'm all over the place with my periods and PMS, hot flashes, lack of sleep, etc. I've been dieting religiously for 3 months and have lost little to nothing. On the plus side, I'm eating healthier and exercising regularly.
    I tried progesterone only therapy for two months but the side effects were pretty bad. Felt like constant PMS. Maybe I gave up too early? What's worked for you ladies? My Thyroid appears to be normal. I did go from 4 to .86 in a few months, but docs seem to think that is normal.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am 48 (for a few more days anyway) and just entering perimenopause. Saw my doctor this morning seeking a confirmation because my sleep patterns have changed dramatically in the last few months. While the flushing, sleep issues and irritability suggest perimenopause, I am still getting periods every month, so it is too early for HRT. My doctor shocked me my suggesting anti-depressants. Is this normal? Anyone here used them to help with symptoms?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and perimenopausal. :'( My periods aren't getting farther apart, they're just lasting for twelve days. :'( And I'm hostile and have saddlebags. :'(
  • asugar7979
    asugar7979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would not advise going on anti-depressants for menopause. It's a rollercoaster of moods for sure but who needs to feel like a zombie? I'm 55 and finally through it. They say once you have no period for a year it's done. It was a long hard journey. I take a little bio cream for hormones but the real hope is to stay in the gym regularly now that I've started a membership and keep doing yoga. I would love to have some support here and to give support if needed.
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    asugar7979 wrote: »
    I would not advise going on anti-depressants for menopause. It's a rollercoaster of moods for sure but who needs to feel like a zombie? I'm 55 and finally through it. They say once you have no period for a year it's done. It was a long hard journey. I take a little bio cream for hormones but the real hope is to stay in the gym regularly now that I've started a membership and keep doing yoga. I would love to have some support here and to give support if needed.

Thanks! It seemed a bit strange to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

OMFG I really wish i hadn't read that! I had to stop half way through :sad:

I'm 45 and no signs or symptoms of menopause. .. yet.

• try2again
    Options

OMFG I really wish i hadn't read that! I had to stop half way through :sad:

I'm 45 and no signs or symptoms of menopause. .. yet.

Don't worry, @Christine_72 ! It's not like every woman has these issues, or is bothered by them if they do. It's just nice to know if you are having them that you're not crazy ;)
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm 52, post menopausal and still having hot flashes. I can't stand them and i'm so tired of them. I get maybe 4 hours of solid sleep, wake up, stare at the ceiling for a while then go back to sleep.

My highest was 202 in April of 2016. In June 2017 (the last time I weighed myself) I was 150.8.

What worked for me to lose weight was burning more calories than I was taking in. I logged everything and stayed within MFP's recommended calorie intake. I lift weights 4-5x a week, and do HIIT and walking.

Edited to add: I don't have any medical issues (not that i'm aware of anyway). I take 50mg. Trazodone nightly. It's an antidepressant that is supposed to work for hot flashes. It did work for me for about a year, but it's fading fast. I'm still using it though because it helps me to fall asleep, and when I do wake up, I can fall back to sleep within 20-30 minutes. I used to lie awake for a couple hours before Trazodone.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    1) take iron supplements if you need them - I had terrible problems when I was perimenopausal, got very anemic.
    2) have your thyroid checked, thyroid meds can make a huge different in how easy it is to lose weight.
    3) there's some evidence that heavy lifting is better than cardio for reversing metabolic syndrome and losing that waist
    4) you can do this, I've lost 55 lbs in 6 months and I'm postmenopausal with one ovary removed

do you have any sources to back up that lifting in better for metabolic syndrome? to lose weight and fat you need to be in a deficit of calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    Hi! Turning 45 and learned that menopause decided to settle in and make itself at home :)
    I have about 80 lbs to lose and it seems nearly impossible. Looking for support, people to exchange ideas with and any one who needs or wants to give motivation.

its not impossible you need to be in a caloric deficit. many women here have lost weight during perimenopause,menopause and post menopause. Im about to be 43 and have been in perimenopause since my mid 30s. I lost 45 lbs.I also have a metabolic disorder. I lost weight because I eat in a deficit. I weigh everything on a food scale because I learned the hard way that food packaging can be off by up to 20%. Before that I was using measuring cups and gained back half the weight I lost. the food scale opened my eyes.

What have to tried to lose weight?
  • Picoides
    Picoides Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting that. I'm 47 and knew I was having perimenopause symptoms but there were a lot of things on that list that I'm having that I didn't realize could be perimenopause (the itchy/crawly skin, dizziness, teeth aching, tinnitus, etc.).
  • try2again
    Options
    Picoides wrote: »

Thanks for posting that. I'm 47 and knew I was having perimenopause symptoms but there were a lot of things on that list that I'm having that I didn't realize could be perimenopause (the itchy/crawly skin, dizziness, teeth aching, tinnitus, etc.).

Turns out, the itchy skin & dizziness are pretty common. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1