Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pain in left side while running :(

So just this past Saturday I noticed a sharp pain on the left side of my body (from lower back to thigh) after my usual Saturday workout. I didn't do anything majorly different. Usual 3 mile run and strength training. After my workout, I was fine. Then a few hours later, I noticed while walking, the sharp pain.

I did do a 5 mile run the day before and I don't usually workout on Fridays (rest day). I took a rest on Sunday, and Monday did a 2 mile run (it wasn't too bad then). Tuesday, I made the mistake of sprinting for the bus (had to get to work!) and an intense sharp pain was felt sprinting...bad idea. Did not do any running on Tuesday and yesterday.

Well today, I still have it. I can feel it when I'm walking, or when I do a light jog (as I did today). I've been stretching, and the trainer I work with even stretched me out several times over the week. I do not feel the pain while stretching though.

I will go see a doctor next week. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I know there's probably a thread somewhere but I'm feeling anxious at the moment~! Thanks!

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    I have not experienced what you are describing but if you are more specific, I may be able to tell you which muscle seems to be affected. Can you describe the pain locations in detail (such as from spine, 3 inches from spine, over SI joint, at sacrum, at illiac crest, etc and where it goes to inner, outer, front, or back of thigh and how low does it go - mid way down thigh, past the inner or outer knee, etc.) Seeing your doctor is the best thing you can do. Ask for a physical therapy referral - a skilled therapist should be able to tell you if it's muscle sprain or bony mis-aligment. The therapist should also be able to teach appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises. A hands on evaluation by a physical therapist is priceless (but I may be biased on that:wink::laugh: ). Skilled athletic trainers, massage therapists, chiropractors, etc can also help.

Delayed muscle onset usually takes 24 hours to show up. If you've only ever run 3 miles and then increased to 5, you may have over done it. The general rule is increase by 10% for either time or distance when increasing your running. My gut tells me you have a hamstring string sprain...