Deadlift failing because of grip

Options
Hi all,
Lately I've been working on my deadlift and my numbers have been rising steadily. Currently I am at 115 kg for 3 reps, I'm proud of my progress so far given I'm still a beginner.
However as I started trying to get past the 120kg I manage 1 rep at best and fail not because I can't lift the weight but because my grip gets wobbly and I can't manage to raise the bar steadily completing the rep, even though I feel strong enough to lift the weight.
I use a mixed grip, no straps.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If your grip loosens, your body is going to compensate elsewhere to get the weight up; your form is breaking down even if it's just your grip. I wouldn't advance the weight any further until you improve your grip strength.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You're probably right. But will deadlifting alone improve my grip strength or would I need to add some accessory work like farmer's walk ?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    yondaime8 wrote: »
    You're probably right. But will deadlifting alone improve my grip strength or would I need to add some accessory work like farmer's walk ?

Deadlifting (or anything you do with a similar grip) will help. Lighten the load and on the last rep, hold at the top as long as you can. Hanging leg/knee raises are good too.
  • yondaime8
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    yondaime8 wrote: »

Deadlifting (or anything you do with a similar grip) will help. Lighten the load and on the last rep, hold at the top as long as you can. Hanging leg/knee raises are good too.

Makes sense, I'll definitely get on that asap ! Thanks for the help :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Grip takes time to build. When I was trying to build up my grip I would just hang from a pull-up bar for as long as I could. Or I would grab a heavy deadlift (say 500) and try to hold it as long as possible. Due to a multitude of issues I just use straps now, but I could barehand 545 before I quit mixed grip.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Have you ever used a hook grip?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    are you using chalk? that will help. and squeeze the bar as hard as you can.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This. Chalk is amazing. And to quote Wendler "any gym that won't let you use chalk isn't interested in your safety as a lifter, so find another gym".
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chalk and thick bar work.
    Try thick handled dumbbell rows.

There are all sorts of things you can do to improve your grip strength but thick bar (~2 inches) work will be the most simple.
    You can buy covers on Amazon to make standard bars thicker.

Working your way up from the bottom on Captains of Crush grippers may help also.

Does it work? Well, I used to bend nails and tear phone books in demonstrations.
    I have not done any bends since my scapholunate surgery but I will probably be doing it again before the end of this year.

I run into people all the time who think their grip is stronger than mine.
    It rarely is even when they are considerably stronger otherwise.
    Grip strength is mostly about focus, muscle recruitment and practice.

There aren't a lot of muscles affecting your "grip."
    It is mostly tendons and ligaments back to your forearms.
    The muscles in the forearms are a big part of your grip, until you start specializing in different grip types (pinch, etc.)
    Grip failures are often due to lack of endurance instead of weakness.
    Slow your reps to build endurance in your grip.
    Perform your deadlifts touch-and-go style.
    In other words, do not completely deload during reps or you may not build the necessary endurance.

Thick bar (~ 2 inches) pull-ups / chin-ups help, as do towel pull-ups.
    Farmer's Walks with a trap bar may help also.

Dumbbells will probably be too light for Farmer's Walks if your deadlift is respectable.
    You could try thick-handled dumbbell Farmer's Walks to make up the difference.

The thicker the bar, the more you will working your grip.
    Don't underestimate how much your "grip strength" is currently relying on the bar being a mere 1.25 inches or so.

Chalk alone will not strengthen your grip but it will make your existing grip {strength} feel more "secure".

Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield is the primer for anyone who is serious about their grip.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and all who responded. I just had to switch grip on deadlift because of grip but I to get it stronger so I do not run into failure based on grip again.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Or straps
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just put 135lb or 225lb on the bar and hold it for as long as possible after your main lift.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually go the easy route and DL using an alternate grip (mixed grip), but every third session or so, I use a hook grip just so I don't forget how.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Never let your grip strength limit your deadlift. Use straps, but don't stop training your grip.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Never let your grip strength limit your deadlift. Use straps, but don't stop training your grip.

I agree, unless you are competing in a competition where you'll need the grip strength.

Or you think you may be in a life or death situation where your grip strength on a bar will be the difference.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Meh, straps are more of a crutch then anything lol
  • Rammer123
    Options
    joeybrid wrote: »
    Meh, straps are more of a crutch then anything lol

Haha more like a wheelchair, but I still use them lol
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My grip strength is horrible in my left hand because of a stroke. Little chance it will improve. Using a weight strap is the only thing that helps me and allows me to lift heavier.
  • yondaime8
    Options
    Well this was really a useful post, you gotta love the MFP community :smile:
    Thank you all !
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Chalk works better than steroids.