Lifting with Chondromalacia-- advice please!

Options
So here's my issue-- a few years ago I used to do stronglifts 5x5 and I loved it. Since then, I've been diagnosed with patello-femoral chondromalacia and one of the very first things that was out was weighted squats. I've been for physio and am doing exercises to strengthen the weak parts of my legs/alignment that led to the knee problems, but squats with weight are out for a good long while, and possibly forever.

My question is: anyone out there with the same condition who has weight-training suggestions? Can still do rows, presses, etc. Maybe deadlift, although that does involve squatting to pick up the weight, so who knows. Basically, I want to know how I can still work my legs and butt without squats or lunges as both are no good for my knees now. I can think of all sorts of things for the top half of me, but I'm stumped on the bottom half.

Help is appreciated!

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Are machines an option? If so.... have you tried leg press, leg extension, glute cable kickback, leg curls?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The first thing I always have to ask is making sure we are talking about true chondro and not general patella-femoral pain. Chondromalacia is the actual deterioration/roughening of the cartilage under the kneecap. It is a cartilage issue, not a tendon issue. You have been going to physio, so I would think they have it right but not always.

Since true chondro involves actual degeneration, the treatment is more difficult (as opposed to patella-femoral, which can technically be "healed").

The simplest/easiest answer is that you should be able to do glute bridges/hip thrusts all day. I would also recommend trying some wall squats with a physio ball or leg presses starting with super light weights. Since it's often the knee angle that causes problems, you start with partial squats or presses--go down only as far as you can before feeling any pain and just work in that range. Keeping toes turned out can also be helpful for some people.

There are always straight leg lifts, but I find most people outgrow those very quickly. I have had some success using resistance bands. Because the resistance of the band increases going to the end of the range of motion, you get max resistance when the pressure on the knee is the least. I use them with clients for squats/partial squats. Loop the band around a support at floor level and loop other end around your waist (sometimes I have to link 2 bands together; I also find it works best attaching the band to a weight belt or some other belt around the waist).
    You can also attach the band to a bar in a smith machine or squat rack (shoulder high or so), and then put one foot in the loop of the band and press down; it's a little awkward keeping control of the movement at first, but it's easy to master.

Those are some of the things I have tried. Here is a site that gave a lot of info and also lists a bunch of exercises at the end:

http://www.physio-pedia.com/Chondromalacia_Patellae

Good luck.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The first thing I always have to ask is making sure we are talking about true chondro and not general patella-femoral pain. Chondromalacia is the actual deterioration/roughening of the cartilage under the kneecap. It is a cartilage issue, not a tendon issue. You have been going to physio, so I would think they have it right but not always.

Since true chondro involves actual degeneration, the treatment is more difficult (as opposed to patella-femoral, which can technically be "healed").

The simplest/easiest answer is that you should be able to do glute bridges/hip thrusts all day. I would also recommend trying some wall squats with a physio ball or leg presses starting with super light weights. Since it's often the knee angle that causes problems, you start with partial squats or presses--go down only as far as you can before feeling any pain and just work in that range. Keeping toes turned out can also be helpful for some people.

There are always straight leg lifts, but I find most people outgrow those very quickly. I have had some success using resistance bands. Because the resistance of the band increases going to the end of the range of motion, you get max resistance when the pressure on the knee is the least. I use them with clients for squats/partial squats. Loop the band around a support at floor level and loop other end around your waist (sometimes I have to link 2 bands together; I also find it works best attaching the band to a weight belt or some other belt around the waist).
    You can also attach the band to a bar in a smith machine or squat rack (shoulder high or so), and then put one foot in the loop of the band and press down; it's a little awkward keeping control of the movement at first, but it's easy to master.

Those are some of the things I have tried. Here is a site that gave a lot of info and also lists a bunch of exercises at the end:

http://www.physio-pedia.com/Chondromalacia_Patellae

Good luck.

Thanks Azdak, this is helpful. Unfortunately it's actual chondromalacia-- diagnosed by a sports med doctor with x-ray, with the roughening. Left knee is stage 1 so not too bad, right knee is stage 2. However, the left has been catching up with the right-- boo!

I like the idea of a partial squat, definitely will give that a try. I mainly lift at home so don't have machines, but I do bridges.

Really appreciate all the info!
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    Are machines an option? If so.... have you tried leg press, leg extension, glute cable kickback, leg curls?

I lift at home, so no machines unfortunately. I have a weight bench and barbell with plates, dumb bells, kettle bells, etc. I've done leg press at the gym and found it not too bad. Any thoughts for something without machines?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have chondromalacia patella (as well as patella tracking issues) - two surgeries 11 months apart and still no relief :-( so I can totally relate. Best exercises I've found are straight leg deadlifts, partial leg press and hip thrusts - I've actually been able to build more lower body muscle in the last few years focusing on these three exercises than before I had such severe problems. It is definitely frustrating, but all you can do is what you can do - I've had to accept that I'll likely never be able to do heavy barbell squats again and have just been making the most of what I can do.
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    I have chondromalacia patella (as well as patella tracking issues) - two surgeries 11 months apart and still no relief :-( so I can totally relate. Best exercises I've found are straight leg deadlifts, partial leg press and hip thrusts - I've actually been able to build more lower body muscle in the last few years focusing on these three exercises than before I had such severe problems. It is definitely frustrating, but all you can do is what you can do - I've had to accept that I'll likely never be able to do heavy barbell squats again and have just been making the most of what I can do.

I've heard that surgeries often don't improve much-- frustrating indeed! At this point I'd really love to go up or down a flight of stairs without having to mentally prepare for it. Thanks for the suggestions on exercises, I'll definitely try to incorporate those.