Just hit a healthy/normal BMI!

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
edited June 2017 in Success Stories
Okay! So I know BMI isn't a great indicator of overall health or fitness (because of other factors like muscle mass, etc) but it was one of my first major benchmarks to cross into "Normal" as I continue to get fit and lose weight.

At 6'1, 189.2lbs, I finally hit that goal -- 6 months after getting back into a steady workout program and diet of (mostly) clean-eating. I started at just under 230.

Proud of this -- it was a lot of work :). Want to keep it going -- but not totally sure what my next benchmark should be? Thoughts from folks?

Replies

• brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, you deserve to be proud!!!!! That is an amazing accomplishment! I was thrilled to finally just become "overweight" after being Super Morbidly Obese for at least 25 years. I actually plan on getting a DEXA scan and asking my doctor whether he thinks the "normal" range would be healthy and possible for me. Maybe getting a DEXA scan and seeing what kind of recomp you can do? Way to go!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's amazing work- you should be proud of your success. I think your next benchmark should be based on what your end goals for your results, and a DEXA scan may be a good place to work with that. Good luck and keep us posted on your future progress!
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good job! You should be proud of yourself. Have you considered a fitness related goal? I don't know what type of exercise you do now but maybe try something new like kick boxing or yoga? Just some thoughts...
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I hit healthy BMI at the beginning of last week so I know it feels great :) Some good tips here on next steps, I want to get further down into the range, I still have a lot of fat around my waist to shift. I'm playing the weight loss by ear now as I don't want to begin to look gaunt but want to get as lean as possible before starting recomp. Congratulations again, a great achievement
  • 2015greenacres
    2015greenacres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Super job! Do you have an exercise you really like? Biking? Running? Do a race. Find a local bike club. Make it fun do you keep up the good work!
  • ironjay37
    ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great job Sir! This may sound like a lame benchmark but maintaining where you are for a predetermined time, perhaps a year, just a thought. Great job again.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »
    Heck yeah, you deserve to be proud!!!!! That is an amazing accomplishment! I was thrilled to finally just become "overweight" after being Super Morbidly Obese for at least 25 years. I actually plan on getting a DEXA scan and asking my doctor whether he thinks the "normal" range would be healthy and possible for me. Maybe getting a DEXA scan and seeing what kind of recomp you can do? Way to go!

So I had no idea what a DEXA scan was before this post :). I just looked into it though, seems like it could be a useful tool.
    Good job! You should be proud of yourself. Have you considered a fitness related goal? I don't know what type of exercise you do now but maybe try something new like kick boxing or yoga? Just some thoughts...

Yes! So I'm training for some biking event and want to finish 60 days of the Insanity workouts -- they're a bear, but I actually love the intensive cardio/resistance.

Also been looking into Crossfit, but it's expensive -- so I'm still considering it and might do a couple months after I finish Insanity as a trial.
    ironjay37 wrote: »
    Great job Sir! This may sound like a lame benchmark but maintaining where you are for a predetermined time, perhaps a year, just a thought. Great job again.

Actually -- that's not lame at all. This is my second swing at this, I've done the "gain it back" thing before after my first round of p90x a few years ago. I've got to create and build upon a sustainable plan.

Thanks all!
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I remembered when I hit that point which was one of the original reasons for my losing weight to begin with. If you are a runner/swimmer do you have a goal time? Or maybe you could sign up for a 5K? Also you could consider looking through your diary and see what if you are getting all of the nutrients you need while still maintaining a healthy calorie deficit. That might be a good goal (something I actually need to do).
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • HealthyGoalie1
    HealthyGoalie1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    2kt1k0505y33.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!