Oatmeal

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
I love making overnight oatmeal on Sunday and having them all week but there is like 14 grams of carbs in just a 1/4 cup. that is over half of what i want to consume in a day. anyone have any suggestion?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating only 28 g of carbs per day? That's not really healthy. Carbs give energy. But if that is what you truly want to do, you'll need to find something besides oatmeal, maybe eggs or yogurt?
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mjtaylor87 wrote: »
    I love making overnight oatmeal on Sunday and having them all week but there is like 14 grams of carbs in just a 1/4 cup. that is over half of what i want to consume in a day. anyone have any suggestion?

Sometimes I really enjoy a slow bowl of oatmeal (no sugar, no milk, just cinnamon). Doing keto has made this challenging, since it represents about half my daily carbs. So I halved my serving and plan my daily carbs, on days I have oatmeal

Make ~1/2 c (carbs-15g/fiber-4g/fat-5g/protein 4g + so many more micro nutrients)
    Soak in ~1.25c water
    1/4 c of steel cut oats (more fiber this way) LESS 1 Tablespoon
    1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (has inpact on insulin per Dr Jason Fung)
    1/8 tsp of celtic sea salt
    1Tb raw wheat germ (good source of VitE has potassium too)
    1-2 tsp chia seeds (fiber cancels the carbs if you are doing net carbs and it adds to the protein)
    The next day when after you finish the oats over heat, Stir in:
    1-2tsp unrefined coconut oil (adds a natural sweetness as well as fat)
    sprinkle cinnamon to taste (a stimulating spice that imparts a sweetness too)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oats are a grain - a carb. If you want to go lower carbs, you'll want to find something other than oats for breakfast.
  • evacandemir
    evacandemir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you don't consume enough carbs you won't have energy... 28g of carbs a day is not very healthy
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a solution to this one that allows for both of the things you want. You are just gonna have to choose between doing low carb and having your oatmeal. Me, I will always choose the oatmeal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    28 g of carbs is extremely low, although some keto types aim for that (I did around 50-60 g for a while and that seemed super low to me and I was generally hitting it with just vegetables, some nuts, maybe some dairy).

That said, if you are doing 28 g of carbs (or even a slightly higher version of a very low carb diet), fitting in high carb foods like oats, potatoes, pasta, bread, may be impossible. With 28 g of carbs, I'd think your only carb source would have to be non-starchy vegetables.
  • kdanielletaylor
    kdanielletaylor Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Have you heard of "zoats?" It's a zucchini/oatmeal mix. People swear you can't taste the zucchini (so you could still do a sweet instead of savory oatmeal). I'd look at the Whole30 blogs/forums for those recipes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of "zoats?" It's a zucchini/oatmeal mix. People swear you can't taste the zucchini (so you could still do a sweet instead of savory oatmeal). I'd look at the Whole30 blogs/forums for those recipes.

Except whole 30/paleo recipes wouldn't be using oats....

Zoats was my suggestion too, although not sure how it would could in cold overnight oats.
  • mjtaylor87
    mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

i will have to try the Zoats. I have already replaced noodles with voodles ( veggie noodles) and we love it.

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    28 g of carbs is extremely low, although some keto types aim for that (I did around 50-60 g for a while and that seemed super low to me and I was generally hitting it with just vegetables, some nuts, maybe some dairy).

That said, if you are doing 28 g of carbs (or even a slightly higher version of a very low carb diet), fitting in high carb foods like oats, potatoes, pasta, bread, may be impossible. With 28 g of carbs, I'd think your only carb source would have to be non-starchy vegetables.

When i first posted this i was going strict 20 carb but now i realize i cant do that with a full time job and two kids under 4 and fibromyagia. i was so week and sick i couldn't function. i have changed up to just trying to keep each meal under 20g and snacks under 5g