Does this sound okay?

Options
Hey guys so I'm looking to lose about 15-20lbs and I've set it all up in mfp and it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day. I'm 5'3 female. So I'm going to be doing this as well as burning around 500 calories 3/4 times a week. On exercise days I have a 1000 deficit this way but on non exercise days I won't, even though I want 2lb loss per week. But does this sound okay or should I go less intense? Thank you

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You are going to starve. You'll be so hungry, you may look at your cat and then the stove and have horrible thoughts. What did MFP give you. Go with that.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    At that low amount of weight to lose 2 pounds a week is not reasonable. I would also not suggest trying to exercise to make that large of a deficit; it would backfire. Set your expectations to 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week and eat enough to lose weight and fuel your exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Hey guys so I'm looking to lose about 15-20lbs and I've set it all up in mfp and it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day. I'm 5'3 female. So I'm going to be doing this as well as burning around 500 calories 3/4 times a week. On exercise days I have a 1000 deficit this way but on non exercise days I won't, even though I want 2lb loss per week. But does this sound okay or should I go less intense? Thank you

Sounds like a crash diet... I give it 10 days maximum before you binge...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »

You do know that the 1200 calories MFP gives you already includes a deficit, right? It is based on the weekly goal you gave it. You don't have to create a deficit on top of that.

Also with only 15lbs to lose you shouldn't be trying for 2lbs a week. Try for 0.5 to 1.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound OK. Even if you manage to do it somehow and endure the torture (which in the long run would amount to developing an ED), it would be bad for your body as it won't be getting proper nutrition.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    General guidelines:

~100 lbs to lose = 2 lbs per week
    ~75 lbs to lose = 1.5 lbs per week
    ~50 lbs to lose = 1 lb per week
    ~ 25 lbs to lose - 0.5 lbs per week

See where you end up? Reset your goals and expectations. You'll have a better chance of success.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1200 is your deficit calorie target...it's already built in...doing additional exercise and not accounting for that activity by eating back calories is no bueno...basically you're wondering if it's ok to just go ahead and crash your diet.

With very little weight to lose, 2 Lbs per week is hugely aggressive.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    At that low amount of weight to lose 2 pounds a week is not reasonable. I would also not suggest trying to exercise to make that large of a deficit; it would backfire. Set your expectations to 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week and eat enough to lose weight and fuel your exercise.

I agree, choose 1 pound for maybe the first 5, then .5. or just choose .5. eat back your exercise calories!