8 weeks of low carbs... A HUGE success!!

Options

Replies

• christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have read Dr. Attia's blog - very technical and informative!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good for you, but nobody in a thread about low carb really gives a crap about a plant diet.

You are the one advocating a dangerous diet to others, in your words:
    So, if you are new, and not sure about this whole low carb "thing", and need a push, hopefully I just gave you a big SHOVE!!!

If you are choosing ignorance and a closed-minded perspective on a subject, you shouldn't be giving advice about it, especially when we are talking about something as crucial as one's health.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What are you even basing that on? The fact that they don't agree with you?

More than likely it's the fact that their "advice" does not work. Their diet plan just plain sucks! To sum it up, it's basically you eat things that harm you and let your medication take care of it. Screw that!
    Obviously you've been doing something wrong to get to where you are...

Oh, so this disease is behavior related, is it, Dr? :laugh:
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your fabulous success story! And congratulations!!! :drinker:

As for the other's opinions, I don't knock any form of meal plan. Don't knock it til you try it.
    And even then, what works for you, may not work for the next person.
    It is really that difficult to accept that there are different ways and methods to live a long, healthy life?
    Yes, a plant-based diet is great, but a high-fat, low carb one is too.

At the end of the day:
    Weight loss=Calorie Deficiency

But, I personally, for me, love love love low carb as a way of eating.
    Love the energy, the lack of hunger, the delicious food, and the feeling healthier part.
    So, I am a low carb advocate here!
    Anyone feel free to add me or message me!:drinker:
  • Alanac511
    Alanac511 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well done you! xx
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on such success! When you say low carb, how many grams per day were you allowed? Did you follow any particular plan, ex. Ketogenic diet or other?

Well, I keep my gross daily carbs limited to 30 or less, with a long term goal of allowing myself 50 or 60 a day..... no wheat, no pasta, no sugar no rice..... all my carbs, essentially came from veggies and the occasional carbs in heavy cream or processed meat... like pepperoni. I have read lots of books, and am taking bits and pieces from here, and there.

I'm in the same boat as you my friend :drinker: You're doing AWESOME!!!! My a1c was 9.5 upon diagnosis in April of this year, I'm putting off my re-check on bloods until the end of August though. I also max out at about 30 g of carbs per day, it's tough but well worth it. :heart:
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    AMA ....ADA... All just marketing groups that don't give a damn about you, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

What are you even basing that on? The fact that they don't agree with you? Obviously you've been doing something wrong to get to where you are, and the fact that you would implicate carbohydrate intake in that is astonishing to me when we have so many examples of populations that follow a high-carb, low-fat diet with very low obesity rates. Rice is a staple in many Asian countries and obesity is low. Obesity as an epidemic is a creation of the post-WW2 era and its heavy consumption of animal products and highly processed junk foods.
    wow... ok did you actually read this link that you keep pushing? It doesn't seem like it. I think you linking outdated information and misrepresenting it IS dangerous - please stop.

Of course I have read it. Simply wishing that the information in it was not correct doesn't make it so. If you disagree with the information, let's hear why. You say my linking "outdated" information is dangerous, yet by following a plant-based diet I have lost 90 lbs in 5 months. I have completely reversed my weight gain and am winning my battle against obesity for the first time in my life. Not only am I becoming healthy, I am thriving and pursuing athletic goals such as participating in sports. 5 months ago I had crippling chest pain and could barely go for a brisk walk. Two weeks ago I went for my first 50 mile bike ride and now I have my eyes on a century ride. You are trying to shout me down, probably because the idea of cutting back on animal products is offensive to you. It is a big change, but it really works.
    How am I shouting you down? YOU are the one trying to shout other people down for choosing a diet you do not agree with.
    First of all it says that study was published in 1974... do you know what year it is? Based on your comments in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if you were unaware that it is 2013. Some of the source material is over 100 years old. I hope you are trolling and are not really this ignorant. Go to the AMA website and you find NOTHING like this - it's possible that the study doesn't even exist but I don't have time chasing down ridiculous claims that you are making based on propoganda. If this were valid it would be on the real AMA website.

Read the summary and it has little to do with anything
    I will just pick this one:
    "2. The rationale advanced to justify the diet is, for the most part, without scientific merit. Furthermore, no evidence is advanced that controlled studies were ever carried out to validate the observation that weight can be lost by sedentary subjects who consume a carbohydrate-poor diet providing 5,000 kcal/day."
    Plenty of studies have been done since 1974 - look them up. Also why are they referencing 5,000 calories a day for sedendary person?? Of course you aren't going to lose weight on that atkins or not. How stupid can someone be to believe something like this?

I've already wasted too much time replying to you as it is. It's great that your diet worked for you - but a low carb diet is fine for most people and it's not your business to tell ANYONE otherwise. Most of us actually do our work and read multiple sources and consult with doctors instead of just blindly believing one website. (also when someone says low carb you don't know how many carbs it actually is - some people consider this 100 carbs in a day, some people 50. I know a lot of people who eat a LCHF diet not to lose weight but because of other health issues like diabetes and it works for them).
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a dangerous fad. See this critique by the AMA:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/75/American_Medical_Association.htm

By switching to a plant-based diet, I was able to lose 40 lbs in the first 60 days. I have lost 89 in 5 months. I haven't even been consistently disciplined as far as what I eat and logging calories are concerned, other than consuming only plant-based foods with the intent of eating healthfully and avoiding junk food. I eat 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. I'd like to see the low carber's explanation of that.

Atkins is low carb--BUT NOT ALL low carb is Atkins, so if you have an issue with Atkins then I can accept that you do not approve of an Atkins diet. Be open enough for those MFP'ers who do.

Be open also, to learn more about low carb diets, because like "clean eating" there are many ways to go forward.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is not always about "calories in vs. calories out" for everyone. And, there are about 25% of the people who do NOT do well with lower carb diets, but 75% of us do! Especially, diabetics. I just wish I could get my parents to try it...

Even with lower carb, each person has their own individual threshold that works better for them than for someone else. I wish it could be dialed in easier. I am now doing 5% carb, 65% fat and 30% protein. Trying to limit my overall carbs to 50 grams a day or less - primarily focusing on no sugars!

I have lost 17 lbs since June 15th.

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

(Books i have read, if anyone is interested are: Good Calories/Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat and What to do About it; The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living)

I agree about the calorie in/out formula. It is about how the food is digested, absorbed or stored. I am lowering my ttl carbs again from ~90g to ~70g (net = 20 - 30g less, since that is my avg fiber intake). While I am lowering my carbs I am raising my protein and fat to keep the same Kcal goal.

I find that to hit my protein macro, I end up eating ~200 kcal more daily. I am only about a week in and I seem to be bouncing around 1/2 lb loss.
  • ewrob
    Options
    How am I shouting you down?

You made unsubstantiated claims that my information is outdated, misrepresented and dangerous. There's no discussion there, only a demand that I be silent.
    YOU are the one trying to shout other people down for choosing a diet you do not agree with.

I am not trying to shout anyone down. I am more than willing to have a discussion about the issue, we may all learn and benefit from it. I am very interested in improving my knowledge about healthful living and nutrition.

The rest of your post just seems to take issue with the fact that the article was written in the 70's, as though the science is somehow completely invalid for that one fact, and then make insulting remarks. There is a good reason for much of the research to be done at this time, this was when Atkins was catching on. These fad diets come and go, with the Paleo diet being the currently popular iteration of high-fat low-carb. Consider this 2006 article concerning fad diets:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/can-fad-diets-work

In particular:
    Recognizing the Fads

Not every popular, new diet can be classified as a "fad" diet, says Basom, which she defines as one that is more of a "quick fix" that is not going to lead to improved health, and that can't be pursued on a long-term basis.

There are several ways to recognize a fad diet, suggests Steagall. A fad diet:

Doesn't include the variety of foods necessary for good health and/or doesn't teach good eating habits.
    Claims you can "trick" the body's metabolism into wasting calories or energy.
    Makes dramatic claims for fast and easy weight loss.

Low carb/Atkins/Paleo check off all three of those by excluding foods that are healthy for you such as whole grains, attempting to induce ketosis and promoting rapid, but unsustainable weight loss.

Since you seem to want a more recent article, here is one published by the ADA in 2004, with sources. http://www.preventivecare.com/shared/OrnishvsAtkins.pdf
  • ewrob
    Options

Be open also, to learn more about low carb diets, because like "clean eating" there are many ways to go forward.

This is a fair point. The diets that I am referring to are the ones, like Atkins, that drastically limit carbohydrate consumption in favor of large amounts of fat, particularly animal products that are high in saturated fats. If you eat a different diet, I would be interested in learning more about your choices.
  • djshari
    Options
    How am I shouting you down?

You made unsubstantiated claims that my information is outdated, misrepresented and dangerous. There's no discussion there, only a demand that I be silent.
    YOU are the one trying to shout other people down for choosing a diet you do not agree with.

I am not trying to shout anyone down. I am more than willing to have a discussion about the issue, we may all learn and benefit from it. I am very interested in improving my knowledge about healthful living and nutrition.

The rest of your post just seems to take issue with the fact that the article was written in the 70's, as though the science is somehow completely invalid for that one fact, and then make insulting remarks. There is a good reason for much of the research to be done at this time, this was when Atkins was catching on. These fad diets come and go, with the Paleo diet being the currently popular iteration of high-fat low-carb. Consider this 2006 article concerning fad diets:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/can-fad-diets-work

In particular:
    Recognizing the Fads

Not every popular, new diet can be classified as a "fad" diet, says Basom, which she defines as one that is more of a "quick fix" that is not going to lead to improved health, and that can't be pursued on a long-term basis.

There are several ways to recognize a fad diet, suggests Steagall. A fad diet:

Doesn't include the variety of foods necessary for good health and/or doesn't teach good eating habits.
    Claims you can "trick" the body's metabolism into wasting calories or energy.
    Makes dramatic claims for fast and easy weight loss.

Low carb/Atkins/Paleo check off all three of those by excluding foods that are healthy for you such as whole grains, attempting to induce ketosis and promoting rapid, but unsustainable weight loss.

Since you seem to want a more recent article, here is one published by the ADA in 2004, with sources. http://www.preventivecare.com/shared/OrnishvsAtkins.pdf
    So your point is that fad diets don't work? Shocking... It doesn't mean that low carb is dangerous - not in this instance anyway - there is not reason for you to tell the OP otherwise. Many people who adapt to a low carb diet aren't dieting for the long term - and indeed many of the low carb ones I've read about have you start off low but slowly increase carbs until you reach your own personal sweet spot - it's not saying no one can eat carbs ever. I use the word diet too lightly I suppose - many people eat low carb for short term and many completely change their lifestyle and have success doing so and are in no way endangering themselves.

And yes - it is dangerous for you to come in without knowing the full situation and telling someone to stop eating what they are eating because it is dangerous. You are not a doctor (are you?) and more specifically you are not the OP doctor. You link a study that is almost 30 years old WITHOUT ANY OTHER EVIDENCE... and wonder why no one is taking it seriously. Show me links where people were harmed by doing a low carb diet because you only have to open your eyes to see lots of people here on MFP who have done well with it... heck you can even find people that didn't like it and it didn't work for them but that doesn't mean they were in danger.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you why you want to post a bunch of negative crap in a success story thread? Let people enjoy their success. Nobody who is doing low carb gives a crap about what you bring to the table. They have decided their path, and you want to ruin it for them. Just go away, already.
  • djshari
    Options

This is a fair point. The diets that I am referring to are the ones, like Atkins, that drastically limit carbohydrate consumption in favor of large amounts of fat, particularly animal products that are high in saturated fats. If you eat a different diet, I would be interested in learning more about your choices.
    If you had actually read some of the meal plans they don't always have to be large amounts of fats - the meal plan I am considering had lots of foods I already eat including many salads and vegetables. Others opt for low carb and high fat but that doesn't mean they are eating several pounds of bacon in a day... you can get fat from other sources.
  • ewrob
    Options

So your point is that fad diets don't work? Shocking... It doesn't mean that low carb is dangerous - not in this instance anyway - there is not reason for you to tell the OP otherwise. Many people who adapt to a low carb diet aren't dieting for the long term - and indeed many of the low carb ones I've read about have you start off low but slowly increase carbs until you reach your own personal sweet spot - it's not saying no one can eat carbs ever. I use the word diet too lightly I suppose - many people eat low carb for short term and many completely change their lifestyle and have success doing so and are in no way endangering themselves.

And yes - it is dangerous for you to come in without knowing the full situation and telling someone to stop eating what they are eating because it is dangerous. You are not a doctor (are you?) and more specifically you are not the OP doctor. You link a study that is almost 30 years old WITHOUT ANY OTHER EVIDENCE... and wonder why no one is taking it seriously. Show me links where people were harmed by doing a low carb diet because you only have to open your eyes to see lots of people here on MFP who have done well with it... heck you can even find people that didn't like it and it didn't work for them but that doesn't mean they were in danger.

I've posted several articles by now, but it seems you are only interested in snarky comments. I am posting as someone who has achieved huge success following a very opposite approach to low carb. What have you achieved?

I would continue if I felt like the discussion had a chance to be productive, but as it is you are wasting my time.
  • motown13
    Options

If you had actually read some of the meal plans they don't always have to be large amounts of fats - the meal plan I am considering had lots of foods I already eat including many salads and vegetables. Others opt for low carb and high fat but that doesn't mean they are eating several pounds of bacon in a day... you can get fat from other sources.

Exactly. I eat lots of veggies. I eat nuts, dairy, and about half a pound of bacon a week. I don't eat donuts,ice cream, bread, or other useless, fake calories.
  • motown13
    Options

I've posted several articles by now, but it seems you are only interested in snarky comments. I am posting as someone who has achieved huge success following a very opposite approach to low carb. What have you achieved?

I would continue if I felt like the discussion had a chance to be productive, but as it is you are wasting my time.

No,you are wasting your time. Nobody wants to be converted.
  • ewrob
    Options
    No,you are wasting your time. Nobody wants to be converted.

You're out there giving people health advice as someone who is highly obese and has type 2 diabetes, a deadly disease that is caused by dietary choices. When you are challenged for doing so, you get defensive and resort to insulting others, such as in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1063245-success-stories-low-carb-atkins-or-south-beach

You might have better luck only sharing with people who agree with you. You're right about one thing, though. I am wasting my time talking to you.
  • motown13
    Options
    That isn't advice. That is my results.
  • ewrob
    Options
    That isn't advice. That is my results.
    So, if you are new, and not sure about this whole low carb "thing", and need a push, hopefully I just gave you a big SHOVE!!!

That is advice. Same story in the other thread. You are encouraging others to follow in your footsteps. By doing so, you are inviting critique. Were it not for that, I would have no reason to be in this discussion other than to congratulate you on your improvement, because your personal dietary choices are your own to make. For what it's worth, I hope that you continue to have success, but I do believe that you should not be giving out advice on healthful living at this point if you do not want that advice to be scrutinized.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!