Olive Garden: Love it or Leave it?

Options
CTcutie
CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
So I just read this little article... I haven't been to OG in years, even though there is one very close to work. The parking lot is usually full, and the last time I attempted to go there, there was no parking, so we ate elsewhere. I remember the salad had like NO olives in it (despite being called the OLIVE garden lol), and the breadsticks were not tasty. at. all...

Do you eat here? Is the food better than a few years ago?? Am I missing out?!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/27/investing/olive-garden-darden-earnings/index.html-

Replies

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    I was actually planning on going there one of these days.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    So I just read this little article... I haven't been to OG in years, even though there is one very close to work. The parking lot is usually full, and the last time I attempted to go there, there was no parking, so we ate elsewhere. I remember the salad had like NO olives in it (despite being called the OLIVE garden lol), and the breadsticks were not tasty. at. all...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/27/investing/olive-garden-darden-earnings/index.html-

There are definitely olives in the salad. I know because I pick them out.

I never had a problem with the food. I don't think most people have a problem with the food--how else do you explain the full parking lot? The breadsticks are just OK.

Edit: My bad; you said "like NO olives"--meaning there are olives but not enough for your taste. If you're a huge olive fan you might be disappointed.

2nd Edit: If you're a huge garden fan, you'll love the salad. Gardens are OK; I'm more a pepperoncini fan. I wish the salad had more pepperoncini; it's so frustrating when the table has multiple pepperoncini fans, and you have to try to split the one or two sitting atop the salad.
    OK I'm done.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Nah... I won't do national chain restaurants
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    It's gets knocked for being a national chain but the food is actually very good.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Years ago OG was really good but now the quality and taste has gone way down so I don't go there anymore.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's gets knocked for being a national chain but the food is actually very good.

Not sure if serious.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Never liked it. Too many local Italian restaurants where I live that puts OG to shame.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious.

Totally serious.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    "Love it or leave it?"

Can I say "both"? Because I want to hate it, I know it isn't authentic, but I can't help myself. I love it. Those stupid oversalty breadsticks and their stupid buttery alfredo - it's just divine once in a while. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoy it - our youngest LOVES it so we usually eat there once a year for his birthday.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Leave it, tried it once years ago, wasn't impressed enough to back again
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Their food is pretty bland & not very impressive IMO. Deserts are even more sub par. I've been numerous times on the company dime for business lunches or dinners. Would never drop my own cash on that trash. The only thing I like there are the breadsticks & salad.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Love their eggplant Parm. I can make it for myself, but sometimes it's nice for somebody else to cook it. :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »

When I was carefree and obese, it was long Mrs.' favorite place to get her favorite dish, which she got every time, "Shrimp Primavera". They changed the recipe and eventually they didn't have any cook who remembered how to make it the old way. Since that point, Mrs.' hasn't had much interest in returning. Since my income went lower a few years ago, we have not been out to eat so regularly. Mrs is still a shrimp only girl, but she finds it elsewhere.

For the times that we visited OG during my weight-loss efforts of the past 17+ months, I'd choose the grilled salmon, avoid the bread, and have the salad with dressing unused on the side.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    In Rhode Island we have 1 Olive garden. It is packed all the time...which is a sad sad statement considering that two of the most densely populated "Italian" cities per capita in the U.S. are in Rhode Island.

There are soooo many good Italian mom and pop shops in RI that I feel a little shame for the residents when I go by the Olive Garden and see it so well partaken.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I thought you were moving and grew olives. Never heard of the chain myself.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    In Rhode Island we have 1 Olive garden. It is packed all the time...which is a sad sad statement considering that two of the most densely populated "Italian" cities per capita in the U.S. are in Rhode Island.

There are soooo many good Italian mom and pop shops in RI that I feel a little shame for the residents when I go by the Olive Garden and see it so well partaken.

Yeah that is a shame. OG should have been closed down. I love authentic Italian mom and pop restaurants
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Leave it...pretty low grade "Italian" food IMO. I'm not a big fan of institutionalized franchise chains anyway and prefer mom and pop shops. As franchises go, OG would be pretty far down on my list in terms of quality cuisine...I'd put it right there with Red Lobster in the dungeon of franchise food.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I havent been to olive garden in almost 30 years.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options

Agree! I went to college in RI and live in CT- there are many delicious Italian restaurants & pizza options around! (There is an amazing one tucked into a strip mall across the street from the OG, but very tiny.) I guess the appeal is it's proximity to the mall in my case. And next door to the Dead Lobster, where the biscuits are divine :-)