How to say no to junk food?

Options
I love chocolate,chips,cookies ect Ivan say no to it. I think I need something every night after dinner. It doesn't matter if I just get done eating. I'm n the pantry looking for sweets plz help

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Either moderate it and plan it into your day or get that stuff out of your house.

I usually have something a little sweet for desert most nights, but I have no problem just having a cookie or maybe two and calling it a day.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to eat a treat between dinnertime and bedtime. So I always plan one into my day and account for the calories. Just need to manage the portion control.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have a treat every night. All planned. Usually frozen because I get a more satisfying portion for the calories. There are even ways to make high protein frozen treats.

Quit telling yourself you love food of any kind. You might have an emotional response to food, but it's not love. Saying it's love is an exaggeration. It's not helpful.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Why say no when you can just plan for a certain number of calories to be enjoyed in the form of something sweet after dinner? Nothing wrong with "junk" food in moderation.

Also don't keep the really high cal treats in your house in large amounts. I love cheesecake but when I want some I go out and buy one slice instead of a whole cake. Dark chocolate is not too hard for me and I do keep some semi sweet mini chocolate chips around. 10 grams of those is only 50 calories and added to some plain low fat yogurt is a very nice treat.
  • bstewart39
    bstewart39 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I plan a treat in my day, but I try to make sure it is something I really like or want and not just eat it to eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As other have said, either plan and moderate it and make it fit your day, or don't have it available.

The answer is simple. But simple doesn't necessarily mean easy. But it comes down to you and your will power and you prioritising what you want and sticking with it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way in the sense that after dinner but before bed, I crave something sweet. What works for me is having individually packaged low-cal sweets handy (such as a 100-cal dark chocolate bar, Skinny Cow ice cream cones, or trail mix that has chocolate in it). It's become part of my routine so during the day I'm able to tell myself "No, not now. You have something sweet to look forward to at home tonight." Having them individually packaged helps me not over-eat.

Different things work for different people though. Some people won't keep treats in the house at all and instead will occasionally just go buy a little something. Personally, that doesn't work for me (I end up choosing something large and high-cal). Maybe try one method and see if it helps. If not, try something else.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey - quit it all for a short challenge. Now I'm learning moderation. It takes time and patience.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm the same way. After I eat dinner I want something sweet. a lot of times I'll have cereal soon after dinner and I'm not really hungry. I started counting calories like 3 weeks ago, have been exercising consist for a few months. Keeping track of calories really helps me realize just how much I used to overeat. Having daily goals helps me to say no to stuff that won't fit in with my daily numbers. if I want to indulge I exercise more or set aside a cheat day. Right now I am afraid to cheat, because I don't want to fall back into old habits. I love food! stay focused and if you have setbacks, don't give up.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I'm the same way in the sense that after dinner but before bed, I crave something sweet. What works for me is having individually packaged low-cal sweets handy (such as a 100-cal dark chocolate bar, Skinny Cow ice cream cones, or trail mix that has chocolate in it). It's become part of my routine so during the day I'm able to tell myself "No, not now. You have something sweet to look forward to at home tonight." Having them individually packaged helps me not over-eat.

Different things work for different people though. Some people won't keep treats in the house at all and instead will occasionally just go buy a little something. Personally, that doesn't work for me (I end up choosing something large and high-cal). Maybe try one method and see if it helps. If not, try something else.

me too. I can't go to bed if I'm hungry. have to have a snack. keeping the snack reasonable is the challenge.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get rid be of the bc stuff you dont want to be tempted by. I rely on 86% dark chocolate. 1 square is only 60 cals bc and very very satisfying.
  • laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You have to remove the food from your house. There are lots of good ideas here, but if you identify the root cause of the cravings you'll be more successful at finding a solution.

For me, I just have to cut sugar out almost entirely. I am so addicted to it I end up yo-yoing and going off my program. I might have something with added sugar once a week tops, and everything else is stevia or monk fruit or occasionally Splenda based.

For chocolate, try the lakanto chocolate bars. For sauces/syrups, Walden farms caramel and chocolate sauce are decent enough. Chips are a little harder, try making kale chips. Cookies can be made with quest multipurpose flower, a mix of stevia brown sugar blend and molasses, and most anything else you want (I add a little fiber and coconut oil to make them more filling). Ice cream Halo top with Walden farms on top does the trick.

And like others said, work it into your day. Plan on 250 calories for dessert and practice making things and finding what you like. Good luck!
  • taypop5
    taypop5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Plan a treat! Heck make it huge, rich, delicious... everything you could imagine...just make it planned (like the day before) and adjust your calories. If it's not planned well in advance you might feel too spur of moment and not be able to say no... therefore just setting yourself up to fail. Friday plan Saturday's treat etc. Make sure it's worthwhile. Enjoy it. No guilt ever. And you can always skip it if your not feeling it That day!