should I change my macros or my diet?

Options
sak20011
sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
Hi:
I'm 5'2" ish, 123# and am trying to lose a little fat (5-7 lbs) and then add some muscle and strength.

I started MFP (again) two weeks ago, this time religiously weighing and recording but not actively trying to change my diet or fit my plan in any way in order to get a sense of how i've been eating, in genera. I learned that how I *thought* I ate (40/30/30) was actually pretty far off. I'm almost over on fat and under on protein, and almost always under on carbs and sugar. I'm usually close to hitting my calories, although I leave a little extra room when I know that I'll be going out later in the week. I'm also getting a fit bit (comes tomorrow!) so I can better assess my activity level.

My question is: should I try to up the protein to hit the macros? how important is it for weight loss and fitness? It seems that some ppl dont care as long as it fits their calorie plan but others seem to suggest it makes a real difference.

fyi: am not currently on a serious weight training program but hope to start one soon as I am cleared by my PT, doing general body weight planks/squats and light dumbells for now so its not like I need to load up on extra protein.

(diary open)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Consistently hitting calorie goal, and being active, is important for weight loss and fitness. A diet (and macro composition) you like, is important in order to be able to consistently hit calorie goal, and be active.

If what you are doing, works for you, don't try to fix it.

I could personally not have "afforded" snack foods daily while losing weight (I don't snack in maintenance, either), I don't drink alcohol, I don't use protein powders, I keep my protein intake around 70 grams, and I need more fat, but again, you should do whatever works for you. Only you can know what works for you. We can give advice and personal experiences and tell you what to look out for, but ultimately it's all up to you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much protein you are getting. I don't like using a %, but rather a minimum daily intake. At your stats 80-100 grams should be fine. Hopefully you are cleared soon for strength training, that is very important for your goal, the sooner the better, while obviously being physically able.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    Hi:
    My question is: should I try to up the protein to hit the macros?
    sak20011 wrote: »
    fyi: am not currently on a serious weight training program but hope to start one soon as I am cleared by my PT, doing general body weight planks/squats and light dumbells for now so its not like I need to load up on extra protein.

I think you just answered your own question.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It looks like I'm averaging about 60 grams of protein but some days only get 30. Think I need to eat more protein. I usually dont eat breakfast but tried a shake the other day, it was pretty good. That could get me there. I'm just not used to eating a lot of it==a previous life as a vegetarian means my idea of adequate protein is a slice of cheese :)