BCAAs

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
Does anyone use BCAA's and how do you take them? Do you feel any difference?

I'm starting some tomorrow and am just wondering what to expect.

Replies

• Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I took some today for the first time. I felt jittery, but idk if that's normal or not?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You might want to add what your goal is and if you take a protein powder.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Steph4454 wrote: »
    I took some today for the first time. I felt jittery, but idk if that's normal or not?

That's not the BCAA's
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i add some to my water bottle during gym sessions. dont know if it helps tbh...extra 20g or protein though
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'6 currently 135, goal is 125 and maintain lean muscle with functional strength training, body weight and HIIT.

I'm new to getting fit with a plan so any advice is welcome.

Also I currently aim for around 100g protein with 1360 cals; I visited a tdee calculator and I believe they suggested 115g. Again I'm very new to tracking any macros at all... I take Vega protein shakes which is primarily pea and hemp protein.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    They shouldn't make you feel any different. If they do... you got one with added ingredients like green tea or caffeine. You want to make sure you're buying just the 3 main ingredients at 2:1:1 ratio and nothing other than flavor/sugar/preservatives. I like Nutricost BCAA in Green Apple for $21.99.

And yes, I do drink BCAA daily. I mix one 24oz bottle that's a bit more concentrated and take a few swigs (maybe 3ounces) on an empty stomach as soon as I get up (about 2 hours prior to my 1st workout). Then after I eat breakfast and get ready for the gym... a few more swigs (about 30 minutes prior to working out).

Then I dump the rest of the mixture into my 64oz water bottle and just sip it throughout my workouts and add more water the longer my workouts go on. I finish up the last of the diluted mixture after about 4 or 5 hours total (from workout until I get back home). It comes out to about 21 grams per day.

Drinking it straight "full strength" during heavy workouts made me fill a little nauseous. Dumping it into a huge water to dilute it solved the issue. And I don't drink it on my rest days, though it says you can.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    they also have BCAAs in pill form too.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Women's Best BCAA in the peach tea flavor. It's not protein, just the BCAA's. I don't eat a lot of meat and am trying to make sure I get a complete amino acid profile. As an aside, their Protein Creme is AMAZING!!!!!! O.M.G.

For my long (3 hour) weight-lifting sessions, I drink a little isopure which is protein, electrolytes and BCAAs.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ideally you want a BCAA high in Leucine, which is the most important bcaa because it triggers the muscle building process (mTor)

https://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/protein/showarticle.aspx?id=807

Oh and it works too btw. And no you don't feel different unless you're susceptible to placebo
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good article.
    joeybrid wrote: »
    ideally you want a BCAA high in Leucine, which is the most important bcaa because it triggers the muscle building process (mTor)

https://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/protein/showarticle.aspx?id=807

Oh and it works too btw. And no you don't feel different unless you're susceptible to placebo

Thanks for the info everyone. I have them in pure capsule form by Pure Encapsulations. Starting today!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Edit: Since you eat enough protein and supplement with protein, BCAA's won't add that much benefit unless you consistently hit under 100g.

Are you vegan/vegetarian or lactose intolerant?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    The only times BCCA is beneficial is if you don't get enough protein or you practice IF and go long fasting periods. You seem to be getting enough protein, so unless you fast, I wouldn't bother with it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't use them. I eat a lot of protein and I don't fast so they would be pretty useless for me.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    @psuLemon after some elimination diets I found I feel better with less dairy although I can tolerate it.

@Ironandwine69 I practice IF 16:9 and I do most of my workouts before eating.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon after some elimination diets I found I feel better with less dairy although I can tolerate it.

I do IF also, but in addition to BCAAs I'll chew tootsie rolls and starbursts during my workout.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use BCAA's and how do you take them? Do you feel any difference?

I'm starting some tomorrow and am just wondering what to expect.

If you are getting adequate protein they are not necessary...
  • psuLemon
    Options

So i assume a whey or whey isolate might not work for you? I ask because they have better leucine profiles if you care. Also, if you are eating around workout, bcaas really wont benefit you.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

So do I. I workout fasted too. I take BCCA in tablet form. I work out better with not too much liquid in my body,so I don't do pre-work out and stuff.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you workout fasted and dont eat for awhile, bcaa can definitely help.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wanted to update his thread with my experience taking BCAAs. After starting them, by my third strength session of week I felt stronger than I have in years and had more stamina. I AM susceptible to placebo and this was also two months into my new workout program. I could have been simply breaking through a plateau. But I think it's noteworthy that I felt great and some activities of daily living got easier, such as sprinting stairs and hauling my toddler around. Also around two weeks in, my arm muscles started to pop. My arms have always been muscular but this was not contributing to a balanced looking physique. So I reassessed my diet and saw I was eating plenty of protein and my deficit is not always a big one. In fact during that time I was closer to maintenance. So I chose to stop taking them. If/when I ever reach a level where I cut and bulk, I would consider them again. They do seem effective.